Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Towns/Cities You Have Seen The Most Sport In

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Having a discussion with a work colleague, I realise I have seen County Cricket, Premiership Rugby, and league Football in Northampton. I then also work out that I have done the same in Bath. Very unusual candidates.

It can also be done in Leicester.

I wondered how many NSCers could top that in some places when adding other sports. The only criteria being that where London is concerned you have to go by the borough and not the city itself.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've done 4 in Sydney when I was living there over 20 years ago. Cricket (Ashes test with the Barmy Army, one dayer featuring Oz v Zimbabwe and a couple of NSW games), football (Northern Spirit in the days before the big league), AFL (Sydney Swans) and Super Rugby (lots of Waratahs games, our weekend night beer outing of choice in the season if the Tahs were at home).

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Actually, I'm about 90% sure I went to a Brighton Bears game at some point in my childhood, so I can match 3 different sports in Brighton & Hove.

Presumably there are some people on here who could add ice hockey to that list. There's a few places (Cardiff and Nottingham come to mind) where the football/cricket/ice hockey treble is still possible.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Actually, I'm about 90% sure I went to a Brighton Bears game at some point in my childhood, so I can match 3 different sports in Brighton & Hove.

Presumably there are some people on here who could add ice hockey to that list. There's a few places (Cardiff and Nottingham come to mind) where the football/cricket/ice hockey treble is still possible.
I've seen ice hockey in Sheffield, along with football (at both grounds), plus British Championships diving, and FINA Swimming World Cup (both at Ponds Forge), and UK Athletics Champs at Don Valley.

So FIVE, even without cricket.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
5 NFL, Baseball, Basketball, Ice Hockey, and Golf (FedEx cup final) All in Atlanta 2009. The ice hockey team moved to Winnipeg in 2011. 6 if you include proper football (Atlanta Utd) which came in 2017.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I was assuming it would be London as I have lived in the area for 40 years but all I have watched is football and cricket. My family lived in Washington DC for a few years in my late teens/early 20s and I went to football, American football, ice hockey and tennis. In those days you had to travel to Baltimore if you wanted to watch baseball.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

London , because I watched an away ice hockey game v Wembley Lions.

Brighton & Hove 4
Football, Cricket, Ice Hockey and Basketball (my Dad took me to see the Harlem Globetrotters) at the Greyhound Stadium.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I've seen ice hockey in Sheffield, along with football (at both grounds), plus British Championships diving, and FINA Swimming World Cup (both at Ponds Forge), and UK Athletics Champs at Don Valley.

So FIVE, even without cricket.
I could have taken part in some curling in Sheffield once if my train wasn't delayed coming back from Leicester. I'm still pissed off by this.

I just realised that I can count 7 (SEVEN) from the Rio olympics, but I feel like that's not in the spirit of the question.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I could have taken part in some curling in Sheffield once if my train wasn't delayed coming back from Leicester. I'm still pissed off by this.

I just realised that I can count 7 (SEVEN) from the Rio olympics, but I feel like that's not in the spirit of the question.
I could add Greyhound racing (at Owlerton) to my Sheffield list - but its not really a sport, is it?

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Football, Cricket, NFL, Olympic Beach Volleyball and horse racing in London is probably the best effort I can make.

Football, Cricket, Boxing and Horse Racing in Brighton & Hove

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

I can’t add ice hockey, but I can add darts.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I guess it is from the dogs' point of view.

Had they stopped playing cricket at Abbeydale by the time you were in/going to Sheffield, or did you just never bother going?
Never went.

I've only been TO Sheffield specifically for football. All the (great many) trips to events at the Arena, Don Valley, Ponds Forge and Owlerton were purely WORK.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Football, international cricket, beach volleyball, ice hockey, darts, basketball rugby and the invictus games all in The Hague! Great city for sport with Rotterdam only 15 minutes away for ATP Tennis.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here