Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tower Cranes....WTF??

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Anyone know how in city centers the 1st Tower crane is built, everytime I see them on the way to work, I just can't determine how?

(Office worker, not labourer!)
:nono:

I've also wondered about this. And walls that go directly into rivers, how do you build the foundations?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Ive always wonderd about dam's how did the Hoover dam get built, surley when it was small the river just went over the top of it, or do they divert the river to build it???

i was wondering how the foundations for old bridges were built such as Tower Bridge in the Thames, these foundations would be constantly under water?

I assume they have to build some type of dam around the foundations?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I googled this great crane mystery a few weeks ago and got to howstuffworks.

The self building feature is kinda cool.

However I'm still not sure I understand how it works when they're on the top of a big building. Surely they'd have to keep moving the place it is bolted to as the building grows, and then how do they get it down again?

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
surrey jim said:
Ive always wonderd about dam's how did the Hoover dam get built, surley when it was small the river just went over the top of it, or do they divert the river to build it???

Watched a QUALLA programme on this recently.

Basically they built two f***-OFF tunnels either side and diverted the river whilst they built the Dam.

1000's of people DIED during the building btw, they used to hack out the cliff whilst hanging from ropes and loads of them fell off.

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
Bozza said:
I googled this great crane mystery a few weeks ago and got to howstuffworks.

The self building feature is kinda cool.

However I'm still not sure I understand how it works when they're on the top of a big building. Surely they'd have to keep moving the place it is bolted to as the building grows, and then how do they get it down again?

I think they just drop it over the side when they are finished

:dunce:

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Hiney said:

Basically they built two f***-OFF tunnels either side and diverted the river whilst they built the Dam.

1000's of people DIED during the building btw, they used to hack out the cliff whilst hanging from ropes and loads of them fell off.

Didn't the workers all live in a purpose built city? They were paid most of their money in tokens that could only be spent in the shops in the city. This was to stop them going out on the piss in nearby Las Vagas.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Northstander, this site may interest you. They recently had a thread on the Gehry towers if I remember right. It's full of tall buildings being built in London, Leeds, Manchester, and shows what a massive building site much of Britain is at the moment.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Hiney said:

Weren't most of these people Chinese?

Another question that has always intrigued me is how do stadiums get built (pedant alert - stadia)?
Throw shitloads of money at it, nearly go bust and wait 10 years is the normal process as far as I can see (at least in certain parts of UK)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here