Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Tourism Backlash

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Having just returned from Wrome, it must be horrendous living there. Traffic and pollution are off the scale. To get it into some kind of perspective, the Vatican hosts 25,000 visitors a day. Google states 16,000 visit The Colosseum every day. The Spanish Steps were rammed, and The Trevi Fountain hosts 3000 - 4000 visitors per day. It's unlikely that all of the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain visitors are the ones that were included in The Vatican and Colosseum statistics. I never felt any antagonism towards tourists, apart from the contempt that Vueling airline exhibited, when they delayed our return by 24 hours.
You're judging 'Wrome' by its Summer visitor numbers to tourist hotspots. It's a big old City :shrug:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What can you expect when all roads lead to 'Wrome'?
3cb446d6-698a-420c-ae09-5c0fc86f64a9_text.gif

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So people are saying you shouldn't own a holiday home? Even if you've worked hard your whole life to be able to afford stuff like that?
You can tell the people to do one. Why should some one be sanctioned if the laws allow it
I don't own one by the way
well probably no we shouldn't, and change law and regulations if its a problem. houses are for people to live in, if you want to visit somewhere there's a really good model of the hotel or B&B.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I totally sympathise the protests that are happening but feel governments and locals authorities should be the target of the ire.

Allowing the likes of Airbnb to grow unfettered was a recipe for disaster. Friends of mine in Barcelona used to live in a building in which ever other apartment was a holiday let. Not only does this drive up rents and restrict access to housing for residents but also brings associated problems like noise and a loss of community facilities. Places like fishmongers and greengrocers die out, replaced by souvenir shops and such.

On top of that governments have exacerbated the issue by attracting digital nomads. In Lisbon average rent for a one bedroom flat is now over 2000€ a month, which is crazy when you consider minimum wage is 740€.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
well probably no we shouldn't, and change law and regulations if its a problem. houses are for people to live in, if you want to visit somewhere there's a really good model of the hotel or B&B.
If I did buy a second home, it would be to live in for the six months October to April. Somewhere warmer and less damp. Hotels are very impersonal and I don't want anyone pissing in my pool except me!
Dammit, I need to book a visit to somewhere warmer and less damp this winter

Reactions: cjd

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Having just returned from Wrome, it must be horrendous living there. Traffic and pollution are off the scale. To get it into some kind of perspective, the Vatican hosts 25,000 visitors a day. Google states 16,000 visit The Colosseum every day. The Spanish Steps were rammed, and The Trevi Fountain hosts 3000 - 4000 visitors per day. It's unlikely that all of the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain visitors are the ones that were included in The Vatican and Colosseum statistics. I never felt any antagonism towards tourists, apart from the contempt that Vueling airline exhibited, when they delayed our return by 24 hours.
Did you meet Biggus Dickus? I am going for an audience with him at the end of October.

TNBA

TTF

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Maybe the answer is to put an end to the stupidly cheap-as-chips budget flights. Whack up the associated taxes til demand falls away. It's pretty insane that you can fly from, say, Gatwick to the Arctic Circle for fifty quid return. Like I've done. Twice.
Why did you have to go on a plane to get an Arctic Circle ? They sell them in London Road Iceland - a short walk from you.

1720359480412.png

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
And areas of France
To be fair it's a very few select areas in France that have the issue - mainly in the south. There are tonnes of abandoned properties across France, mainly thanks to French inheritance laws, that the Brits have bought up and renovated. Many of the French actually welcome this. In the village in which I have a house there are three other British couples that have purchased run down properties and renovated them - all the locals like it because properties have been brought back into use and the Brits spend money locally.

Last edited:

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Been happening in Ibiza a lot too. You can often see anti tourism graffiti, stickers , billboards around

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Having recently returned from Majorca I was amazed at the aggression and anger put towards tourists. If you look at most towns on the island it's difficult to appreciate how they'd survive without tourism. I had a discussion with a local who was very much opposed to tourism and I thought it'd be directed towards drunken people causing trouble etc, but far from it. This guy was angry that so many private properties had been purchased by families and lay empty most of the year, as only used for 2-4 weeks by the owners. So the local property prices have risen dramatically, and the local businesses and families don't benefit as it actually removes tourists from buying food, beer and using local attractions. I'm sure others were concerned about behaviour and others about Air BnB. I'm against second property ownership anyway, but this angle was new to me and I get it.
This was always the case, it’s just the British media tried to make it about British tourists in particular. It’s no different to the issues in Cornwall. its a very big problem and needs to be addressed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here