Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Tour of the UK

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
For Stone Henge, you can drive to a road just behind, park up by some RAF barracks, and walk for 10-15 mins to get to a waist high fence that lets you get within a metre if where most paying visitors get to but only on one side of the stones, you can pay more and be allowed inside the stones, still not supposed to touch them, but they won't get shot if they do. Look it up on trip advisor.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Just thought I'd revisit this as my planning is nearly finished.
They've made their own plans for London and should be over the jet lag when we meet.
Day 1 in Brighton followed by evening in The Juggs (Lewes). Staying in Lewes.
Day 2 From Lewes to Bourton on the Water for overnight. Driving via stops in Bibury & Burford.
Day 3 Visit villages in Cotswolds until 15:00 when driving to Liverpool, arriving around 19:00.
Day 4 Full day in Liverpool
Day 5 Depart Liverpool to South Yorkshire Dales. Couple of stops incl Malham (Harry Potter) & Hebden Bridge. Overnight in small village.
Day 6 Off to York arriving 12:00. Full day in York with overnight.
Day 7 Leave York for Bowness on Windermere via stops in Hawes and Buttertubs Pass.
Day 8 Full day in Windermere with boat and steam train booked. Overnight as day 7.
Day 9 Drop them at Oxenholme for train to Edinburgh.

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
They've made their own plans for London and should be over the jet lag when we meet.
Day 2 From Lewes to Bourton on the Water for overnight. Driving via stops in Bibury & Burford.
Day 3 Visit villages in Cotswolds until 15:00 when driving to Liverpool, arriving around 19:00.
Day 5 Depart Liverpool to South Yorkshire Dales. Couple of stops incl Malham (Harry Potter) & Hebden Bridge. Overnight in small village.
Day 7 Leave York for Bowness on Windermere via stops in Hawes and Buttertubs Pass.
Day 8 Full day in Windermere with boat and steam train booked. Overnight as day 7.
As you'll be a stone's throw from Gloucester, don't forget that a load of Hogwarts scenes were filmed in the cloisters at Gloucester cathedral.

Also the Juggs isn't in Lewes, but I'm assuming you know this already.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
As you'll be a stone's throw from Gloucester, don't forget that a load of Hogwarts scenes were filmed in the cloisters at Gloucester cathedral.

Also the Juggs isn't in Lewes, but I'm assuming you know this already.
Did look up Gloucester Cathedral as I've been there. The Cathedral itself is beautiful, but just off our route.
Yes, Juggs is in Kingston, but not everyone knows where that is.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Hi. I live a coiuple of miles outside Hebden Bridge. If you need any infformation, just let me know. Which Village are they staying in?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Hi. I live a coiuple of miles outside Hebden Bridge. If you need any infformation, just let me know. Which Village are they staying in?
Funny story about Hebden Bridge. Wife and I go 'ooop north' a lot on business and stay somewhere different on the West side of Yorkshire each trip. Hebden Bridge came up on the dart board so off we went. Arriving in the settlement it was unbelievably busy with coaches parked everywhere. No idea why until that evening we asked and told Happy Valley filmed there. Never watched it. Latest trip a month ago was Clitheroe and Bowland Brewery, but that's another story.
So Day 5 is leaving Liverpool and driving via HB to Malham Cove (they love H Potter) and ending in Grassington, staying at the Devonshire. Wife and I have visited this pub before and loved the food and welcome so know it will be good. If you've any 'stops' you think we should make that a foreign couple would go wild over let me know.
Day 6 is a rush off to York for a full day there.
Day 7 is York to Windermere via Buttertubs Pass. Again, any 'stops' on that route would be appreciated. I've Hawes (been there so know it) and maybe Wensleydale Creamery.

Out of all the places in the UK, a full day in Liverpool seems a bit of an odd choice!

Most evenings are in pubs over 300 years old. Liverpool will give us two nights with music and party.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Out of all the places in the UK, a full day in Liverpool seems a bit of an odd choice!
It really doesn't.

It's a massively important city, in historical, cultural and architectural terms. I can see very easily why an overseas visitor would choose it over very many others.

Maybe they want to do Beatles stuff (museum, city tour, Cavern, etc?)
Maybe they want to go on the Anfield Stadium tour?
Maybe they want to visit the city's TWO cathedrals?
Maybe they are interested in the 2,500 listed buildings?

As an indulgent aside, my personal favourite amongst those 2,500, is this beautiful, architecturally significant little church (St. Michaels in the Hamlet) that I lived 50 yards from in my final year at Uni.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Looks absolutely exhausting. They'll need a holiday after the rigours of that enforced route march 😄

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Looks absolutely exhausting. They'll need a holiday after the rigours of that enforced route march 😄
They are Canadians! I once read of a Canadian family who drove 6 hours to eat in a restaurant. what was so special about the restaurant? Nothing it was just the closest one. (yes I do know there are cities in Canada too).

For many people, if you are going to travel half way around the world to see stuff, you are not going to be put off by a bit of driving. It is much easier to do that than to pop back to see something you might have missed.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
They are Canadians! I once read of a Canadian family who drove 6 hours to eat in a restaurant. what was so special about the restaurant? Nothing it was just the closest one. (yes I do know there are cities in Canada too).

For many people, if you are going to travel half way around the world to see stuff, you are not going to be put off by a bit of driving. It is much easier to do that than to pop back to see something you might have missed.
The longest 'non stop' drive is Cotswolds to Liverpool. Other drives are always 'via' somewhere and a one hour stop.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
And we're back.
Yes, I'm a bit shattered. Could have done with a day off in the middle to relax, but for them every day costs money. But all went very well. They loved every minute of the trip. The guy loved the 'warm flat beer'. The steam train in Lakeside, Windermere, was one of her highlights.
But here is an amazing coincidence....
In Bourton on the Water another American couple staying at the same hotel were on the exact same trip, but in reverse. And by exact, it was like they had my itinery and were following it backwards.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here