Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tour de France...

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
Is it me or is Tyler Hamilton the hardest man in sport. He won todays stage and with his injury (broken shoulder?) it is a great effort. Hats off to the man.:clap:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
What i found quite mental was Armstrong falling off his bike, chasing Ulrich up the hill and then attacking to win by 40 seconds, mad.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
colar bone rather than shoulder, but thta's quibbling...a fantastic effort to win from so far out. as for armstrong falling off, it was a woman's handbag that caught his brake lever....i can never understand why some people crowd the cyclists so much! (even though armstrong reckons it was his fault). ullrich to win overall!

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
today was fascinating, doing that with a busted shoulder !!!!????
at 32 he's probably thinking "f*** it,this could be the last" .
Anger is a good energy on a bike.

The best bit for me is that we have someone who could win it in a few years.:clap:

ade28uk

Jul 23, 2003
Tour

I love the tour de france. It makes a nice change watching the cycling instaed hearing about premiership prats every five minutes. We are bombarded in the media with images of owen, beckham being super fit athletes, well I would like to see them climb up these mountains day in day out and then after that do a 55 mile time trial, and then after that ride a flat stage.
I would love to see them carry on after falling off their bikes. Respect to all the riders in the Tour De France. And yes, yesterday was fu*King amazing, the way Armstrong went up the mountain at that speed was unbelievable. What made it so special was the sportmanship shown by the other riders when he fell off. Im off to Paris this weekend to see the final stage of the Tour. I have been before and it is absolutely amazing the amount of effort that the french athorities go to, to put on the final stage I recommend anyone to go and take a look, it's all free. I wish all sports were like this.:clap2:

Jul 21, 2003
talk sport were talking about this being worthy of the dustbin or not and there was a lot of opinion that wanted this scrapped as its dull and uninteresting, I for one agree more boring than golf or cricket

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I disagree completely, Especially yesterday as it was very exciting but as arule I really enjoy it.

Big respect to Lance Armstrong he is a double hard bastard.

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
If you understood the tactics involved in the sport you would not say it was boring. It is a quality sport which provides me entertainment everytime i watch it. I love the fact the french close down whole cities to accomodate sport. Could you see that happening in the UK?:nono:

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
do you remember when the Tour De france came to Brighton?
1994 i think it was. i was working at AMEX at the time, everybody rushed down to see them 30 seconds later all over ,everybody back to the office ,very boring!

is Stretch Armstrong over his testical cancer yet?

Highfields Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bullock Smithy
It was great when Channel 4 had the rights and it was on every evening at about 6.30,

Now ITV have it, those of us with terrestrial telly can only get a weekly highlights programme. Bloody ITV :censored:

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Football Genius aka FG said:
talk sport were talking about this being worthy of the dustbin or not and there was a lot of opinion that wanted this scrapped as its dull and uninteresting, I for one agree more boring than golf or cricket

Which therefore that makes you a dull, unimaginative,boring simpleton. :dunce:

ade28uk

Jul 23, 2003
This country needs a tour!!!

Talk sport don't have a fuc&i*g clue about cycling. The tour de france goes back years and has a lot of history. What other sports challenges humans this much physically apart from may be long distance running. What other sports do you get to see so much changing scenery and culture. What other sport allows everyone to line the streets and cheer as the peleton roars past.
Why is it we dont have any decent tours in this country. France has the tour, Italy has the Giro, Spain has Veulta, so where the f*** are we in this equation. Prime example BBC1 said 2.5 weeks ago, "the tour de france starts today, it's 21 stages with 21 moutains", just shows you the f***ing ignorance.
If David Millar won the tour, would he get nominated for BBC sportsman of the year, Like f***, the award would most probably go to some overpaid premiershite footballer.

Highfields Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bullock Smithy
Re: This country needs a tour!!!

ade28uk said:
Talk sport don't have a fuc&i*g clue about cycling. The tour de france goes back years and has a lot of history. What other sports challenges humans this much physically apart from may be long distance running. What other sports do you get to see so much changing scenery and culture. What other sport allows everyone to line the streets and cheer as the peleton roars past.
Why is it we dont have any decent tours in this country. France has the tour, Italy has the Giro, Spain has Veulta, so where the f*** are we in this equation. Prime example BBC1 said 2.5 weeks ago, "the tour de france starts today, it's 21 stages with 21 moutains", just shows you the f***ing ignorance.
If David Millar won the tour, would he get nominated for BBC sportsman of the year, Like f***, the award would most probably go to some overpaid premiershite footballer.

Didn't we used to have the Milk Race? What happened to that?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I find the Tour De France compelling to watch. Wonderful race and really exciting this year.

Although Armstrong hasn't been his best he should win. Shame there wasn't a stronger challenger to push him - Ullrich for one.

I love the two Eurosport blokes who commentate - one of the most abstract moments ever was last year when they reached a summit of a mountain where a cyclist had previously collapsed and died and they read the whole of Psalm 23 - quite moving as I think the guy who had died was a mate of the commentator.

They only thing I find stupid is why crash helmets aren't compulsory - I thought they were this year but not everyone seems to wear one now.

Come on lads - you only have one brain be sensible and wear a helmet.

Beach Hut said:
Although Armstrong hasn't been his best he should win. Shame there wasn't a stronger challenger to push him - Ullrich for one.

i agree, he probably will - but with a time trial to go, ullrich can still get it. he will surely get a lot, lot closer.

i love the tour - they're all mad, whether or not they are pumped full of drugs. this is a seriously difficult physical challenge which i doubt anybody other than these lot could even contemplate.

it is far from boring - anybody who thinks so is an utter dullard.

as for saying that it doesn't matter what hamilton did today, he ain't going to win the tour...that's like saying it doesn't matter that a footie team ain't won a match because they can't win the championship.

Emily's Mum

Jul 7, 2003
In the jungle, aka BFPO 11
I love watching the Tour de France on the TV, but then I have always loved watching the sport live in this country when we used to have the Milk Race & the city centre cycling. I have my dad to blame for all of this, I used to watch him at the cycle track in Preston Park & the when I was older I would be dragged out on a Sunday to throw wet sponges at riders.

I have the ultimate respect for anyone who can ride up those mountains. My dad, who is nearly 70 still manages to ride up Ditchling Beacon & after the Tour cyclists went up the Alps last week, he was going to as well.

I don't know if it was ever proved if Tommy Simpson had been on drugs when he died on the tour in 1967, but I can remember watching the coverage on the TV & wondering why my dad was so sad.

However, I have no respect for the guy in full cycling kit who knocked me flying tonight as I walked from the tram to my car as he cycled on the pavement!

I am now a slightly bruised Daft Bint

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
FG shows his shallowness once again. It's a sport I dip in and out of on TV, but the tactics and athleticism of the riders is unparalleled.

As for TalkSpurt, they are a bunch of amateurs who are very lucky there is no serious competition on the radio for us sports junkies.

Brazil and Parry are the Saint and Greavsie of radio
The boys in the afternoon are OK
James Whale is an ignorant populist fascist

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here