Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Toughmans question to DK (for those who missed it)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As bone-headed questions go, that one from "Toughman" was an absolute PEARLER today. For those who missed it, get this:

"Dick, can you tell me, if Leeds United are £30 million in debt, then how come they can still bid £600,000 for a striker this week, and yet the Albion are playing a defender up front ?"

Toughman - take a bow. That is, without a doubt, one of the most f***ing idiotic questions EVER to make the airwaves in Sussex - and thats saying something. I hope you're proud, you've just royally embarrassed yourself - just be glad it wasn't a NATIONAL phone-in, then the whole country would have known what a twat you are.

Frankly I was amazed Dick had the patience to bother answering you. "Simon" almost stole your thunder later as the biggest fool on the phone-in, but I think with that question, you still just shaded it. Good work fella.

:shootself

Last edited:

Kev the Ape

Easy 10 said:
As bone-headed questions go, that one from "Toughman" was an absolute PEARLER today. For those who missed it, get this:

"Dick, can you tell me, if Leeds United are £30 million in debt, then how come they can still bid £600,000 for a striker this week, and yet the Albion are playing a defender up front ?"

Toughman - take a bow. That is, without a doubt, one of the most f***ing idiotic questions EVER to make the airwaves in Sussex - and thats saying something. I hope you're proud, you've just royally embarrassed yourself - just be glad it wasn't a NATIONAL phone-in, then the whole country would have known what a twat you are.

Frankly I was amazed Dick had the patience to bother answering you. "Simon" almost stole your thunder later as the biggest fool on the phone-in, but I think with that question, you still just shaded it. Good work fella.

:shootself

Toughman aint a Brighton supporter just a person who know's nothink about the club. I thought he was apart of NSC when i heard that name. But he aint a toughman he a wanker. :nono:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
He didn't sound very tough to me.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
But if you look at old threads on Leeds, you'll find there are a number of NSC users who don't understand the difference between the financial situations at Albion and Leeds.

A couple of hints, folks: revenue, assets. It's basic economics.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Total pilchard brain FFS don't fans follow anything in the news ?

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
I didn't get back to the car in time to hear that question-what f***ing planet are people like toughman and Simon(the next caller)on?How DK kept his patience I'll never know.I would understand if he just said "f*** the lot of you" and walked from the club.He must feel as if he's banging his head against a brick wall.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Wozza said:
But if you look at old threads on Leeds, you'll find there are a number of NSC users who don't understand the difference between the financial situations at Albion and Leeds.

A couple of hints, folks: revenue, assets. It's basic economics.
What it boils down to is that Leeds are a club who spend money in the transfer market that they do not have, whereas the Albion do not. Sure, Leeds are a bigger club than us with a higher turnover, I think we can all accept that. But the fact that they have (at the last guess) £30m worth of debt, and yet are still bidding hundreds of thousands of pounds for players...frankly, it stinks.

And what kind of money do you think the likes of Michael Ricketts is on, having signed him from the cash-cow that is Middlesbrough ? Gary Kelly, still in the team from the Champions League days. Not to mention the money they have still been haemorraging to players like Robbie Fowler who doesn't even PLAY for them any more.

Leeds, as a club, are a complete train-wreck. Its utterly OBSCENE that they are still in a position to splash the cash in the transfer market.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think many fans, even those who do not like 'dirty Leeds' were genuinely concerned that the club may have folded last year, and there was a lot of sympathy directed their way.

However, Leeds have subsequently lost that sympathy by being the biggest spenders in the Championship this season, with a million on Gregan and a £600k bid for Healy.

£30 million of debt is reasonably easy to service if they have crowds of 30,000 a week paying on average (say) £15 each. This gives revenues of over £10 million, on top of which they have parachute payments from the Prem this season.

What it does raise is the question of how the Albion are going to finance Falmer. Are business plan is based on crowds of 12,000 to break even, but unless someone has a magic wand, I still struggle to work out where the cost of the stadium comes from.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
El Presidente said:
What it does raise is the question of how the Albion are going to finance Falmer. Are business plan is based on crowds of 12,000 to break even, but unless someone has a magic wand, I still struggle to work out where the cost of the stadium comes from.

I believe the club will only be a minor shareholder of Falmer. We'll pay an annual rent.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Those two idiots used up all Dick's question time.:angry:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
dougdeep said:
True, but having said that, it made for more interesting radio than people phoning up and saying what a marvellous job Dick has done. I've been waiting to hear DK fight his corner against those who keep bringing up stuff about "why don't we do a share issue" and "why havn't we signed Dwight Yorke yet".

As expected, Knight utterly shredded their arguments, and that can only be a good thing (even if it did piss him off mightily).

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
dougdeep said:

Agreed. I have never felt so embarassed at so called Albion fans asking such questions of Sir Dick. Do they not understand basic economics? As for accusing Sir Dick that all the money from the £100 + donations was going into Sir Dicks personal bank account......I give up. Another plonker moaned about having to pay £1 for a poncho. It's all income for the club! It needs every penny. If you don't want to pay bring your own waterproofs. That phone in ruined a great Albion day.
If I was Sir Dick I would never go on Harty's phone in again.

Oct 19, 2004
Hastings
Gaffer said:
Agreed. I have never felt so embarassed at so called Albion fans asking such questions of Sir Dick. Do they not understand basic economics? As for accusing Sir Dick that all the money from the £100 + donations was going into Sir Dicks personal bank account......I give up. Another plonker moaned about having to pay £1 for a poncho. It's all income for the club! It needs every penny. If you don't want to pay bring your own waterproofs. That phone in ruined a great Albion day.
If I was Sir Dick I would never go on Harty's phone in again.

The guy complaining about charging for ponchos had just been complaining about the team staying in hotels. So do you want us to save money or throw it away?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Gaffer said:
Another plonker moaned about having to pay £1 for a poncho.
This was the guy who in one breath complained that the club were giving away free seats for hospitality, and in the next breath was complaining about being charged £1 for a poncho when "Gillingham were giving theirs away free".

Nobody seemed to see fit to point out that as the Albion had paid for half Gillinghams ground redevelopment, perhaps they are in more of a position to give away free ponchos.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
El Presidente said:

I can't say I could make the figures add up (from a rough guess), I made Albion with at least a £5 million shortfall in capital, and that was before Brighton University wanted their cut, and that excludes the Public Inquiry dosh. Other people have said that the shortfall is more like £10 million (before the Inquiry costs, before building costs increased and before Brighton University).

There is no point criticising this, unless there is an alternative.

By Leeds standards this is peanuts.

If I had known DK was on the SCR program, I might have posed the hypothetical question "if there was a possibility of an alternative suitable (and cheaper) place for the stadium, would be be open-minded enough to consider it?" Question.

DK has always struck me as rather rigid and dogmatic in his front (I do not know his actual views are any different from that?).

I do not see Falmer as quite the panacea. A new stadium is just necessary and essential. It might be a struggle for quite a few years. There would be something like a £12 million mortgage that would have to be paid back with interest.

And Falmer is just a muddy field surplus to farming requirements with about as much environmental merit as an average allotment patch.

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
The sad thing for these two muppets was that the kid that came on after them was talking far more sense and sounded like he was about twelve years old. I'm just glad DK has got a a lot of patience because if that was me taking a slating after all he's done I'd tell them where they could shove their f***ing club.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that you are being a little hard on 'toughman'. He didnt come across on the radio as being very articulate but what I think that he was trying to say was basically "Why should we give you money to prop up your investment granted it is for the good of the club but primarily for your investment which you will oneday, whenever, sell and reap the rewards from.

Is there not some argument in that?

I will reserve judgement.

As I have said he didnt come across very well

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
BensGrandad said:
I think that you are being a little hard on 'toughman'. He didnt come acr5o0ss on the radio as bei9ng very articulate but

Pardon.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
To be fair to him he did ask a reasonable question that had a logical answer.

Dick Knight did not answer his question and gave a typical politicians answer.

Then Toughman lost it and started talking bollocks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here