Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tottenham Hotspur vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
VAR is the worst introduction to football ever. The concept was decent but, in reality, it is slow and sucks the life out of any goal celebration. This, coupled with David Elleray’s many rule changes and the game is becoming a caricature of itself.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
You seriously believe that we have only played well in one game? Blimey, your glass is completely empty!
The team has actually played well in nearly all the games - playing well and losing (and drawing against teams you need to beat) doesn't cut the mustard.

Why are you unable to answer a simple question?
The simple answer is that Hughton is gone - he is now manager of Forest. Potter has been hear for a year and a half and he now carries the can for the successes and failures of the team.

Sorry mate. Utter rubbish. I'd reset those expectations a little bit
Were the expectations that the team was going to kick on from last season (at least the post-lockdown part of it). Still playing nice football - still having lots of possession - still putting together the odd good result - still not winning games they should (and need to).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The team has actually played well in nearly all the games - playing well and losing (and drawing against teams you need to beat) doesn't cut the mustard.

The simple answer is that Hughton is gone - he is now manager of Forest. Potter has been hear for a year and a half and he now carries the can for the successes and failures of the team.

Were the expectations that the team was going to kick on from last season (at least the post-lockdown part of it). Still playing nice football - still having lots of possession - still putting together the odd good result - still not winning games they should (and need to).

Recent club history, helps me judge where we are. It’s never a bad thing in life to remember where you’ve come from.

The absolutely EPL pits when we collapsed against Cardiff and Bmuff, not only losing but a complete joke at home in every facet of the game against supposed relegation rivals. In the end people stopped attending in their droves.

Now we play football, but there’s still so much to improve, a work in progress.

I hope you’re enjoying the good bits too.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I think we need White back in the defence against Burnley. Veltman hasn't looked much better than average, while Webster potentially still has that one absolute howler in him in every match.

And we are losing something in midfield by not having Alzate in there. No more square pegs in round holes just to accommodate the fact that we have too many central defenders.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Doesn’t matter where he’s standing!!! Totally irrelevant - it’s where the foul is - ie the contact! Basic football knowledge that. It was either just on the line or just outside - incredibly hard to tell and neither clear nor obvious.

Yes. I know. It was inside the box.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Tottenham Hotspur vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

I think we need White back in the defence against Burnley. Veltman hasn't looked much better than average, while Webster potentially still has that one absolute howler in him in every match.

And we are losing something in midfield by not having Alzate in there. No more square pegs in round holes just to accommodate the fact that we have too many central defenders.

White was culpable for at least a couple of goals already this season when playing at the back. Thought Veltman did well today. Given that White’s one noticeable weakness appears to be in the air, Burnley wouldn’t seem to be the best game to move him back.

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Kane fouled Lallana in the box. That’s an Albion freekick.

The key point is it was in the box. So, yes, you could see it that way. But if it was Lallana fouling - and we’ve seen Murray win plenty of decisions in the same way - then it was a penalty unfortunately.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Whilst I 100% agree with you about Alzate, I totally disagree about Veltman. I think he has looked very good and deserves to keep his place.

White is a central defender and needs to play there week in week out so I hope he’s back there next game and Burn drops out.

After that, Dunk will obviously come back in but I’m not sure who for. Dunk also needs to up his game as he’s not been at his best at all so far this season and our poorest CB.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The key point is it was in the box. So, yes, you could see it that way. But if it was Lallana fouling - and we’ve seen Murray win plenty of decisions in the same way - then it was a penalty unfortunately.

I recall Muzza getting next to no dodgy pens (in his second spell with us), and being slagged off on NSC by his usual haters for trying.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Whilst I 100% agree with you about Alzate, I totally disagree about Veltman. I think he has looked very good and deserves to keep his place.

White is a central defender and needs to play there week in week out so I hope he’s back there next game and Burn drops out.

After that, Dunk will obviously come back in but I’m not sure who for. Dunk also needs to up his game as he’s not been at his best at all so far this season and our poorest CB.

Veltman’s been quietly very impressive.

Dunk’s been a liability, his worst run of performances for us for many a season. I’m hoping this ban is a reset for him.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
What an incredibly frustrating game.

Unfortunately for all the nice football we play we're heading for serious trouble if we can't work out how to keep clean sheets. Sanchez had next to nothing to do all game yet still conceded two goals(that's not a criticism of him, there was nothing he could do with either). Yes the first shouldn't have been a penalty but the second...why on earth is Bale in so much space 8-10 yards from goal. What part of giving one of the most dangerous attacking players in the world a free headr from that distance is good play?

If we're going to keep giving cheap goals away combined with refs insisting on ****ing us over with penalties and not converting dominance/chances into goals it's going to be a long hard season.

I watched the game thinking that we deserved something out of it but at no point believed we would. Very frustrating. Adding to the frustration is watching mediocre teams consistently picking up points.

There should be plenty of positives to be taken from the game but I'm struggling right now to voice them. We've lost in the same way that we've been failing to win all season.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Kane missed an absolute sitter due to terrible defending. Could easily have been 3-1.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Kane missed an absolute sitter due to terrible defending. Could easily have been 3-1.
And lamela hit the post.

As soon as teams need to attack us they look like scoring !! Chelsea, man u , spurs.

They usually get the goal go ahead again and just get back into shape while we pass around aimlessly. We've been sussed out big time.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
I think we might have had a chance vs Everton without 4 of their best players in Rodriguez, Richarlison, Digne and Captain Coleman. How lucky are Newcastle to play them with those 4 all out?

The fact is we haven't lost against a bottom half team yet, whilst putting in some decent performances against teams who will finish top 8. When we start losing against rubbish then I'll start to be worried.

We haven’t done well against any bottom team since we been in prem that’s been our problem we can’t put those teams away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
And lamela hit the post.

As soon as teams need to attack us they look like scoring !! Chelsea, man u , spurs.

They usually get the goal go ahead again and just get back into shape while we pass around aimlessly. We've been sussed out big time.

Those Mickey Mouse clubs getting the better of the mammoth world renowned club Brighton and Hove Albion.

You’ve convinced me, EVERYBODY OUT!

Just not good enough

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Veltman’s been quietly very impressive.

Dunk’s been a liability, his worst run of performances for us for many a season. I’m hoping this ban is a reset for him.

He was playing well vs Palace until the sending off.

Without him there is little to no leadership on the pitch, and we also are very light physically.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He was playing well vs Palace until the sending off.

Without him there is little to no leadership on the pitch, and we also are very light physically.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think that he has been well below the levels of previous seasons so far but there is no doubt that we have missed his leadership over the last two games. Gutted that he is also out for Burnley as he is exactly what we need for that game.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
And lamela hit the post.

Against Chelsea we missed an absolute sitter and James scores a worldly he’ll probably not hit one like that again for years. ManUtd were the luckiest team this season. Travesty of a result, the pen rescinded, the added on time. Spurs have the capability to take teams apart and quite often do, and yet we largely had control of the game, with them needing another VAR decision going against us.

I don’t disagree some of the goals we’re conceding are rubbish, and that needs sorting out, but to say we pass it about aimlessly and we’ve been sussed out - that didn’t strike me as PL and Champions League contenders having sussed us out!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here