Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Another 2100 odd get the bullet at Barclays
Zavvi close another 18 stores
Jaguar / Landrover - 450 jobs to go
Denby announce redundancies
Drugs company in Kent (who's name I can't spell) have axed a load of jobs too.

And that is just today.

I knew 2009 was going to be BAD, but I never envisaged it was going to this bad. Good luck everybody.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
And the newly-outsourced Legal & General IT staff have been royally stitched up. The Argus haven't got this story yet, but it has been announced that 130 out of 300 will lose their jobs in the first half of this year. The rest won't be far behind :down:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Soon be no tax-payers left to bale the rest out.

I wouldn't worry about that, Kaka will be paying enough income tax to sort everyone out :D

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
Another 2100 odd get the bullet at Barclays
Zavvi close another 18 stores
Jaguar / Landrover - 450 jobs to go
Denby announce redundancies
Drugs company in Kent (who's name I can't spell) have axed a load of jobs too.

And that is just today.

I knew 2009 was going to be BAD, but I never envisaged it was going to this bad. Good luck everybody.

Tesco, Morrisons and another Supermarket I can't remember have just created 20,000 new jobs, bet the BBC don't tell you that on the news tonight, only interested on doom and making it feel worse for everybody.

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
Well it wasn't ASDA then!

Well it may have been Asda as an overall store, just the one I work in is majorly cutting back and not employing. Not sure if its the same for all stores.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
i work for an oil company and one of our other terminals in Poole has just been told its gonna be shut by March costing about 20 blokes their jobs. Its not actually credit crunch related and not on as large a scale as some other things but its terrible speaking to blokes today who are on the verge of tears with mortgages and families to support.

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
Tesco, Morrisons and another Supermarket I can't remember have just created 20,000 new jobs, bet the BBC don't tell you that on the news tonight, only interested on doom and making it feel worse for everybody.

They miss anything positive, we're DOOMED they tell ya!!!!!!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

The entire country can't work in supermarkets :shrug:

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck

Tesco may be creating a few jobs, but they've just written to all of their construction contractors and consultants saying "cut your fees by 50% otherwise we won't be giving you anymore work" thereby forcing any company that can't cut costs by tat much to potentially have to cut their staff levels.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Yeah, stacking shelves, working on checkouts, collecting trolleys and asking people if they need help with their packing...

And as the supermarkets expand, jobs in the high street disappear.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Tesco may be creating a few jobs, but they've just written to all of their construction contractors and consultants saying "cut your fees by 50% otherwise we won't be giving you anymore work" thereby forcing any company that can't cut costs by tat much to potentially have to cut their staff levels.

Saw that myself - shocking. The power to possibly enforce redundancies in another industry, thus dampening the effect of the recession on themselves.

The supermarkets play that game all along. I read examples of how one particular shop wanted to do a buy two get one free promotion and the farmer was forced to supply the free one.

That ain't free market capitalism by any definition.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
That ain't free market capitalism by any definition.

Surely that IS the definition of free market capitalism - unrestrained, cut-throat carnage.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Surely that IS the definition of free market capitalism - unrestrained, cut-throat carnage.

If you are supplying a supermarket there doesn't seem to a particularly free market.

There'll be clauses saying you can't supply to another else, they'll be clauses saying you have to use a certain type of packaging and the big one saying this is what YOU will charge us...

.. you can go on.

There's even been cases of supermarkets agreeing a price and then suddenly lowering that price in the middle of a contract.

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks

An apt quote I came across the other day:

'Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone' - J M Keynes

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
ASDA have been cutting back on hours, MAJORLY.
Tell me about it. Scary when you need to work overtime (at single rate) to make your hours up to the equivalent of full time. Got sent home today after 90 minutes when I should have been there from 9 to 5.30. Went home 45 minutes early yesterday. At least tomorrow I wont get screwed - its my day off. :ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here