Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tory plan to destroy the Beeb...

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Wouldn't be at all surprised if the Queen's Speech includes proposed legislation to privatise the BBC after the Royal Charter expires in 2017 along with scrapping of the TV licence.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I mean, the bloody Tories get democratically elected and then start and giving the electorate an adult choice as to whether we can reduce our monthly expenditure to deal with the “cost of living crisis” what an f****** outrage!!!

The current Charter review period and licence fee settlement runs until 2017.
The process is well under way but there's currently no public proposals from the govt. The licence fee is currently frozen as well until 2017.

However the DCMS select committee looking at the future of the BBC and chaired by the new DCMS minister John Whittingdale produced an interim report earlier this year.
It said this about the licence fee. (It also discussed governance, production, and scope etc)

"There currently appears to be no better alternative to funding the BBC in the near-term
other than a hypothecated tax or the licence fee. However, the principle of the licence fee in
its current form is becoming harder to sustain given the changes in communication and
media technology and changing audience needs and behaviours..... or
moving to a German-style broadcasting levy." (ie: a compulsory levy on all households)
via http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201415/cmselect/cmcumeds/315/315.pdf

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The BBC, which gets attacked from all sides, remains the most, perhaps only, independent media we have. It does run to the lowest common denominator these days, which is a shame. But, as a public service, I hope it remains.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
what does the basic Sky package cost per day? (I don't have it and have no interest in becoming a Sky customer but just looking for the comparison figures again)

You can get access to some Sky services for less (and for more) but the average Sky revenue per user per month in Dec 2014 was £47 or £564 per year or £1.50 per day.
via https://corporate.sky.com/documents/investors/results/2015/q2-results-press-release.pdf
The upper end film/sports package with Sky at currently £70.50 per month works out at £1198 per year or £3.28 per day.

The licence fee is 40p per day. ITV and Channel 4 are funded through advertising.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Katie Hopkins @KTHopkins · 5h 5 hours ago

One of @BBC biggest critics appointed as Culture Secretary. Bye bye BBC Trust. Bye Bye Licence Fee. Bye bye Labour bias. Whoop whoop!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

One of @BBC biggest critics appointed as Culture Secretary. Bye bye BBC Trust. Bye Bye Licence Fee. Bye bye Labour bias. Whoop whoop!

One of Thatchers worst behaved children

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Despite all the scaremongerers, the actual content of the original article is about the possibility of changing the way the BBC is funded. At no point is any credence given to the idea that the Tories plan to destroy the Beeb.

OK the headline is a big Tabloidesque. But that's what they'd like to do, its just a question how much public revolt there is.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Whilst the BBC's quality has dipped in certain areas over the last few years it still doesn't seem to be quite so eager to chase the lowest common denominator as the other main channels (especially ITV, easily the worst major channel going in my eyes, another series for 'Vicious' too but I digress). I do listen to a lot of radio and almost all of it via the BBC so easily worth the money for me, commercials on TV sre bad enough but commercial radio is far worse.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

John Whittingdale is critical about aspects of the BBC as is Lord Hall the BBC's director general.
He also said this in February in a House of Commons debate.
"There is no question but that the BBC produces many outstanding programmes. Many of our witnesses [to the select committee he chaired] told us that it is the finest broadcaster in the world. Its reach is 96%, it has an unrivalled reputation for accuracy and impartiality, and it is hugely respected"
http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2015-02-26b.497.1&s=speaker:10632#g501.0

Last edited:

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
The BBC is world class. Keep things as they are - if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Nice faux pas. The Savile saga didn't indicate the BBC was broken?!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Overall the best provider of diverse TV and radio programming out there. No bloody adverts (other than a bit of subliminal stuff that is tolerable) to contend with that break up the enjoyment of a programme. Well worth the money and Tories should leave well alone.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Nice faux pas. The Savile saga didn't indicate the BBC was broken?!

I was referring to the Beeb's broadcasting output viz a viz the licence fee. That said, in terms of value for money and as paedophiles go, Savile worked bloody hard whilst at the Beeb.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I was referring to the Beeb's broadcasting output viz a viz the licence fee. That said, in terms of value for money and as paedophiles go, Savile worked bloody hard whilst at the Beeb.

He did like to have his finger on the button.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
A change to the license few is inevitable in the near future, whoever is in government. They should just get it over with.

kip

Aug 2, 2011
I don't watch much T.V but like many others on here feel the radio is worth every penny, commercial radio is terrible. The only thing that makes me uncomfortable is the non payment mafia. When I was younger I had them chasing me for non - payment, I was broke and had bills coming out my ar$e. They were coming round looking through my letter box and bombarding me with letters. I think it should be a minor offense with just a small fine. I think most people would continue to pay, I don't think we should criminalize people for not paying a tv license.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
The erroneous figure was me calculating someone's quoted 50p daily rate by 365.

Should have found your own figures. Never trust anything you read on here.

Does the £40 difference make any difference to my argument?

Errr....yes.

Does the cancellation of a show?

It was more to do with the fact you boiled down the BBC's entire output, which includes shows such as Top Gear, Doctor Who, Sherlock, Eastenders, Have I got News For You, The One Show, Live At The Apollo, Match of the Day, Blue Peter etc (not all shows I watch personally but all regular programmes which garner many viewers and critical acclaim), to a programme which gets occasional repeats during the daytime and to its credit ran for ten years and 18 series. It may not have been your cup of tea (or mine for that matter) but they must have been doing something right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here