Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
These were the first three callers I heard when I switched the radio on late after burning the candle too long last night!

But I think this was a simple three-number card so I muttered Bingo! and made a cup of tea.

Here we go, even Adrian Chiles has kicked off his programme by replaying the Montgomerie rant. And, f***, he still sounds livid. "Not the right thing to do at a fundamental level". That's posh-speak for 'complete and utter ****'.
Somewhere in Kentish Town, there is the sound of a man easing on his slippers and settling into a comfy chair, with the words of Napoleon jotted on his pad...

"Never interrupt when your enemy is making a mistake"

Have yourself a long weekend Keir :lolol:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
GOxP7zDXgAAqB-_.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
She is not the biggest fan of Sunak in the first place so will be interesting. Glad I do not have her job of defending the indifensible tonight, especially as she represents Portsmouth, one of the launching ports for the operation. She has to either knife her own PM or piss off her own constituency, which may well be seat losing to do.
It is an interesting question. On the one hand you can't knife a leader every time he makes a mistake (like Corbyn did as a back bencher) or we would have anarchy. You have to grit your teeth, bite your lip and bide your time.

Has Mordaunt generally kept her nose clean and generally not betrayed sectors of society and feathered her own nest? I suspect @Thunder Bolt will recall if there is something....

But my general impression of Mordaunt is positive and suspect she is likely to become the leader of the opposition. I hope so. So has she reached tipping point? Maybe but I doubt she will stick the knife in any more that Starmer stuck the knife into Corbyn when in the shadow cabinet. A good politician will bide their time, and when they become leader, hope that not too much mud associated with their support of their predecessor will stick.

And we will recall what was said about the MP (Geoffrey Howe?) who turned on Thatcher - Private Eye described the episode as Thatcher being 'savaged by a dead sheep'. Nobody wants that.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Then why are they employed?
Advisors advise, ministers decide.

I'm relaxed about that. We elect the politicians not the advisors.

Which of course means that Sunk is trying to blame someone else for his folly.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It is an interesting question. On the one hand you can't knife a leader every time he makes a mistake (like Corbyn did as a back bencher) or we would have anarchy. You have to grit your teeth, bite your lip and bide your time.

Has Mordaunt generally kept her nose clean and generally not betrayed sectors of society and feathered her own nest? I suspect @Thunder Bolt will recall if there is something....

But my general impression of Mordaunt is positive and suspect she is likely to become the leader of the opposition. I hope so. So has she reached tipping point? Maybe but I doubt she will stick the knife in any more that Starmer stuck the knife into Corbyn when in the shadow cabinet. A good politician will bide their time, and when they become leader, hope that not too much mud associated with their support of their predecessor will stick.

And we will recall what was said about the MP (Geoffrey Howe?) who turned on Thatcher - Private Eye described the episode as Thatcher being 'savaged by a dead sheep'. Nobody wants that.

Leader of the Opposition? She has a seat to win first.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

You have a positive opinion of the woman who went on the mad "fight" rant at the conference? Is this based on her wearing a swimsuit or holding a sword?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's worth remembering when it comes to picking the next leader that you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you

View attachment 183613
I haven't watched Game of Thrones. Is that a scene from it?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Rishi Sunak to 18 year olds: "A whole year of National Service, no exceptions"

Rishi Sunak to himself: "Wait, it's ALL afternoon? A whole afternoon? Pfft, not bloody likely."

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You have a positive opinion of the woman who went on the mad "fight" rant at the conference? Is this based on her wearing a swimsuit or holding a sword?
As I said, my memory for detail about the folly of tory MPs is understandably cloudy, give my underlying antipathy towards them, and lack of interest in depressing myself reading about them. Having a 'fight rant' at a conference barely raises one of my eyebrows. Given the competition, she remains an obvious shoo-in for their next leader.

It is unlikely I will be voting for them in 2029, I hasten to add.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Rishi Sunak aka D-Day Dodger, Walking Facepalm 😀

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Farage to PM by the end of June HERE WE GOOOOO!

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

You could make the argument that Sunak has already knifed himself in the back and Mordaunt either has to

1. Carefully remove it.
2. Give it a little wiggle or.
3. Twist it.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Leader of the Opposition? She has a seat to win first.
I would imagine of all the places in the country, the place where the PM dodging the D-Day stuff will have gone down the worst is Portsmouth

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Rishi Sunak told broadcasters “I also don’t think it’s right to be political in the midst of D-day commemorations. The focus should rightly be on the veterans and their service and sacrifice for our country.

Is this bloke absolutley stonewall stupid and doesnt have a clue what is comign out of his mouth?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I don't understand how they can be so bad at the art of politics. This was a slam dunk for him in the middle of the campaign, a chance to look statesman like, photo opportunities with veterans and world leaders and no chance for awkward questions from the media. It was a gift and he f***ed it up. He couldn't have done much worse even if he'd tried to light his own farts during the ceremony.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I would imagine of all the places in the country, the place where the PM dodging the D-Day stuff will have gone down the worst is Portsmouth

I read somewhere that Mourdants campaign material is very focused on her and distances herself from the party, much like several of the mayoral candidates did recently. She knows the brand is toxic. I expect her to be fully loyal in the debate but it's a tricky one for her to do without harming her own chances.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here