Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Agreed, but excuse me if I don't protest on behalf of the poor victim. If you are willing to give it out, be prepared to take some back.
I just happen to think that MPs, whatever colour rosette they wear, should be above hurling abuse on social media.

They're our elected representatives, would it be so much to expect vaguely decent behaviour?

See also: Trump, D

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Agreed, but excuse me if I don't protest on behalf of the poor victim. If you are willing to give it out, be prepared to take some back.

She admits she is sweary, but I wouldn’t call her a troll. She criticises the government and with good reason.

Warning video contains swearing.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Apparently, half-decent pay rises for public sector workers would fuel inflation by injecting 'too much' money into the economy - yet the multi-million pound salaries, bonuses and dividends regularly paid to private sector CEOs and shareholders don't case inflation, it seems :rolleyes:
And that's before we even go into the fact that the drivers for our current inflation problems simply don't fit the traditional theories of inflation. A significant portion of the inflation we're seeing is caused (unusually) by persistent supply-side pressures. Supply-side inflation is normally short-lived, but IMO it's been sustained here in the UK due to multiple factors coming together: Brexit (and the impacts on free-flowing trade of both goods and labour); persistent shortages in the labour market (resulting in increased costs to businesses as they compete to attract staff); persistent shortages in supply of certain components; and persistently high cost of energy.

Increasing interest rates is a tactic to control demand side inflation (and, yes, there is an element of that at play). It's not going to help with the supply side issues.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Precisely. Yesterday I was given several lectures about how unaffordable it would be to increase the minimum wage for public sector workers (teachers and nurses in particular) and people working in the lucrative care home and nursery sectors.

Bollocks.
Bollocks indeed.
It's corporate profits that are driving inflation.
1687854732232.png

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.

She admits she is sweary, but I wouldn’t call her a troll. She criticises the government and with good reason.

If a Tory swore, they'd claim it showed they were 'human' or down-to-earth, but anyone else, and it is 'evidence' of being vulgar and uncouth, and declining moral standards.

The Tories' arrogance, hypocrisy and sheer nastiness are inexhaustible.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Apparently, half-decent pay rises for public sector workers would fuel inflation by injecting 'too much' money into the economy - yet the multi-million pound salaries, bonuses and dividends regularly paid to private sector CEOs and shareholders don't case inflation, it seems :rolleyes:
i didnt see anyone make that claim, seems you're creating a strawman.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I think 'inflationary' is defined as putting money in the pockets of people that are unlikely to vote Conservative.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Where have you been?

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Bollocks indeed.
It's corporate profits that are driving inflation.
View attachment 162779
Is there a breakdown of those stats by sector? I suspect a large chunk of the increased profit margins is within the fossil fuel extraction / energy generation sector. I'm more concerned by the late 2021-onwards Import Prices and Labour Costs elements. Would be interested in seeing a UK-specific version of this - suspect the Labour and Import elements will be even bigger.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
And the second home expenses, travel expenses, subsidised restaurant etc of MPs, plus attendance expenses for 'Lords' ...are of course totally irrelevant and should never be used for comparison...😠

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Is there a breakdown of those stats by sector? I suspect a large chunk of the increased profit margins is within the fossil fuel extraction / energy generation sector. I'm more concerned by the late 2021-onwards Import Prices and Labour Costs elements. Would be interested in seeing a UK-specific version of this - suspect the Labour and Import elements will be even bigger.
The article is here https://www.imf.org/en/Blogs/Articl...ds-on-how-corporate-profits-absorb-wage-gains

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Where have you been?

where is the claim that private sector pay and bonus dont contribute to inflation? all those point to a claim public sector pay increases contribute to inflation - of course they do, all wage increases will. thats why th BoE governor calls for pay restraint from all sectors, making his live difficult.

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

The 2019 intake really are a horrible bunch of individuals, all they have is division.

Thankfully, most of these pathetic Johnson cheerleaders will lose their seats.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
found source paper from IMF which has something for UK, looks roughly same proportions. page 10 if interested. a sector breakdown on page 8, predictable oil and food major contributors.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
To be fair, this is by and large correct though. When I get my 3.8% payrise this year (which is what we're being offered, and which presumably Sunak thinks is too much), then I will be spending ALL of it on things like food, gas and other essentials. Therefore - every extra penny I get will be injected back into the economy.

Whereas the multi-millions given to private sector CEO's will be squirreled away in investments or off-shore - thus contributing nothing to the UK overall economy at all.

where is the claim that private sector pay and bonus dont contribute to inflation? all those point to a claim public sector pay increases contribute to inflation - of course they do, all wage increases will. thats why th BoE governor calls for pay restraint from all sectors, making his live difficult.
There doesn't have to be a 'direct' statement to this effect. The inference is incredibly strong isn't it. Sunak is not warning everyone about the dangers of private sector COE pay is he? He's only highlighting the public sector - ergo, he is basically saying that 'pay rise for my mates is ok, but for you it isn't'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here