Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
For those thinking we should give old Boris a rest and "move on". He's already broken the rules AGAIN.

Hopefully they'll stop bleating about Sue Gray now.
He just has absolute contempt for our institutions and our democracy. Let’s get this vote on Monday out of the way, and then I don’t want to waste another second of my life thinking about this human cancer.

EDIT: and this on the day I suggested to Bozza that the politics threads were quite good-natured and chummy now.

Apologies if some feel I’ve gone too far, but Johnson is a stain on the Conservative Party’s history, and unless they fight hard against his influence, the poison he’s injected into the party will remain there.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
He just has absolute contempt for our institutions and our democracy. Let’s get this vote on Monday out of the way, and then I don’t want to waste another second of my life thinking about this human cancer.

Unfortunately all this up to now has only been about him constantly breaking the Covid rules he set up and then constantly lying about it in Parliament and again in front of the independent committee he set up to investigate. Although this has now been proven to be selfish, dishonest and showing contempt to parliament and people who suffered losses during Covid and had to abide by those rules during funerals etc, it is only about his breaking of those rules.

The Enquiry which is now starting, (if the Government agree to release the information to their own independent committee and don't manage to stop it through the courts), is about the actual actions taken by Johnson and the rest of his Government during the pandemic. This isn't about breaking rules, and then constantly lying about it, this is much more serious.

Unfortunately for us all, the investigation into what Johnson's cabal have been up to over the last 3 and a half years has hardly started :down:

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Unfortunately all this up to now has only been about him constantly breaking the Covid rules he set up and then constantly lying about it in Parliament and again in front of the independent committee he set up to investigate. Although this has now been proven to be selfish, dishonest and showing contempt to parliament and people who suffered losses during Covid and had to abide by those rules during funerals etc, it is only about his breaking of those rules.

The Enquiry now starting, (if the Government agree to release the information to their own independent committee), is about the actual actions taken by Johnson and the rest of his Government during the pandemic. This isn't about breaking rules, this is much more serious.

Unfortunately for us all, the investigation into what Johnson's cabal have been up to over the last 3 and a half years has hardly started :down:

I’d rather it was investigated late than not at all. I wonder at what point the SFO will get called in?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

The Enquiry which is now starting, (if the Government agree to release the information to their own independent committee and don't manage to stop it through the courts), is about the actual actions taken by Johnson and the rest of his Government during the pandemic. This isn't about breaking rules, and then constantly lying about it, this is much more serious.

It won't just be him. I'm very much looking forward to the first stage of the enquiry, which covers the preparedness for a pandemic.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Now that certain people’s careers don’t stand or fall by Johnson’s status, I would expect quite a bit of dirt to start floating to the surface.

I can imagine him spending most of his new column inches on defending a barrage of allegations directed at him.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
With commentators suggesting the Covid Inquiry will take 2 years to report back and questionable what, if any, sanctions may arise, let alone register on Johnson's 'give a shit' o-meter, He's survived a lifetime of lies.
Inquiries into his liaisons with Jennifer Acuri, playing tennis with Putin's mates, securing Russian funds and influence for the Tory party, disappearing for weekends with questionable associates. Investigations snookered. Reports delayed, redacted or buried.
Now resignation Honours lists, indulged while proven to be in contempt of Parliament. Maybe a few crocodile tears for now but deep down its all been jolly japes.
I suspect he's already moved on, with greater indulgences on offer. Book deals, lecture tours, a column for The Mail. Ex-PM allowances plus 'other income' to cover his legal & maintenance fees? Wallpaper expenses, preferential loans, country houses.
Enjoy sniping from the sidelines. Cause a shit storm for the mainstream Tories and undermine any row-back from Brexit.
Maybe choose his moment to re-enter politics.

Tragic, all a distraction while the country needs serious politicians to get a grip on his (Liz Truss') legacy.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
With commentators suggesting the Covid Inquiry will take 2 years to report back and questionable what, if any, sanctions may arise, let alone register on Johnson's 'give a shit' o-meter, He's survived a lifetime of lies.
Inquiries into his liaisons with Jennifer Acuri, playing tennis with Putin's mates, securing Russian funds and influence for the Tory party, disappearing for weekends with questionable associates. Investigations snookered. Reports delayed, redacted or buried.
Now resignation Honours lists, indulged while proven to be in contempt of Parliament. Maybe a few crocodile tears for now but deep down its all been jolly japes.
I suspect he's already moved on, with greater indulgences on offer. Book deals, lecture tours, a column for The Mail. Ex-PM allowances plus 'other income' to cover his legal & maintenance fees? Wallpaper expenses, preferential loans, country houses.
Enjoy sniping from the sidelines. Cause a shit storm for the mainstream Tories and undermine any row-back from Brexit.
Maybe choose his moment to re-enter politics.

Tragic, all a distraction while the country needs serious politicians to get a grip on his (Liz Truss') legacy.
Who has said this? I'd be amazed if it was all done and dusted in such a short period. For context, the (excellent) Chilcot report took seven years. Hallett has three different questions to answer (preparedness, decisions taken during the pandemic, and lessons to be learned) and, we already know that she's being forensic in the evidence she's calling for via the government seeking legal redress. Think it's going to be a long one.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Who has said this? I'd be amazed if it was all done and dusted in such a short period. For context, the (excellent) Chilcot report took seven years. Hallett has three different questions to answer (preparedness, decisions taken during the pandemic, and lessons to be learned) and, we already know that she's being forensic in the evidence she's calling for via the government seeking legal redress. Think it's going to be a long one.
This timescale was suggested in a discussion between political commentators last week and whether any preliminary findings might be allowed. I do agree that it seems rather optimistic for a forensic and fully objective report to be completed... I'd prefer the latter but also understand that families and others might demand answers ASAP, especially should any sense arise that its being kicked into the longer grass.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Well, he’s tucking right into the most important matters.
What a total f***ing clown.

IMG_9252.jpeg

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
More than a quarter of UK homeowners on a fixed-rate mortgage are heading for sharp increase in monthly payments before the next election, in a financial timebomb that will rock the Conservatives just as voters prepare to choose the next government.

Up to 60% of this mortgage timebomb was yet to hit consumers because millions of households were still on fixed-rate deals struck before the Bank of England started raising interest rates from a record low of 0.1% in December 2021.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Many UK businesses which import food products from the European Union will have to pay a special “Brexit tax” that will further drive up prices, particularly in smaller shops such as delicatessens, under proposals set out by the government last week.

The planned charge of £43 per consignment, outlined in a consultation document issued by the Department for Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra), was described on Saturday by a leading industry figure as “the sting in the tail of a post-Brexit food inspection regime” that was already fuelling inflation.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
If any more nails were needed...
One rule for them...

They are truly scum, my mums last Xmas, she sat alone in a home while we decided not to see our children.

They must leave office ASAP, there are no words for my utter contempt.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
If any more nails were needed...
One rule for them...

As I posted on the other thread it's actually an old story. But more importantly the Conservatives knew about it soon after and only disciplined their members (4) for getting hammered and damaging property.

It was quite a while after the press got hold of it, months after the party knew.

This one has annoyed me for years. A Government that put all sorts of draconian measures in place and KNEW this took place. Report them to the police ? Of course not.....

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here