Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
They don't need a referendum. If they have Big Balls they would put us back into the single market in some form ASAP.
Anyone who thinks the next new government won't take us back into the single market and eventually the EU, is kidding themselves. The ONLY way to fix teh UK economy is to rejoin the single market. Every political party knows this. If you want to be the party that stabilises the economy, you have to be the party that takes us back into the SM.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Anyone who thinks the next new government won't take us back into the single market and eventually the EU, is kidding themselves. The ONLY way to fix teh UK economy is to rejoin the single market. Every political party knows this. If you want to be the party that stabilises the economy, you have to be the party that takes us back into the SM.
I’d love to think you are right but if the next gov tried this there would be a massive outcry from public and media being so soon after a referendum. On the assumption that the next gov is labour, I can’t see them even considering such a risk.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I’d love to think you are right but if the next gov tried this there would be a massive outcry from public and media being so soon after a referendum. On the assumption that the next gov is labour, I can’t see them even considering such a risk.

But it doesn't have to be The Single Market. It could be a brand new 'Brexit' trade deal with the EU that just coincidentally has all the benefits of being in a single market.

How many do you think would actually realise and, of those that do, how many will stand up and shout 'No, I want to carry on with what we have' :wink:

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I can’t see Labour going near it and frankly the EU wouldn’t want us as the electoral system stands.

The bigger priority and the only way to change things in this country is to get a representative democracy with PR. We need to end of days when governments can do what they like with only 40 percent support. Labour will only do that of forced into it by an arrangement with the LDs.

Tactical voting is going to be absolutely key to stop a Tory revival, ie vote for the least worst option.

As things thing our democracy in on the brink

abc

Jan 6, 2007
I can’t see Labour going near it and frankly the EU wouldn’t want us as the electoral system stands.

The bigger priority and the only way to change things in this country is to get a representative democracy with PR. We need to end of days when governments can do what they like with only 40 percent support. Labour will only do that of forced into it by an arrangement with the LDs.

Tactical voting is going to be absolutely key to stop a Tory revival, ie vote for the least worst option.

As things thing our democracy in on the brink
Agree with all you say except I can’t see labour agreeing to PR ever. It is just as much in their favour as the Tories. PR is needed but I can’t see how it will ever happen. A true catch 22

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
But it doesn't have to be The Single Market. It could be a brand new 'Brexit' trade deal with the EU that just coincidentally has all the benefits of being in a single market.

How many do you think would actually realise and, of those that do, how many will stand up and shout 'No, I want to carry on with what we have' :wink:

Yep this is how you do it. Try it with the Customs Union first just to test it out. Make out that it's a special bespoke deal given just to the British cos they're so special. Polish it up a bit with a few bits on fishing which matter not a jot to the economy in real terms, but under the hood it's just rejoining the Customs Union.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yep this is how you do it. Try it with the Customs Union first just to test it out. Make out that it's a special bespoke deal given just to the British cos they're so special. Polish it up a bit with a few bits on fishing which matter not a jot to the economy in real terms, but under the hood it's just rejoining the Customs Union.

Don't mention the B word, or the CU phrase, call it a three word slogan like 'Best for Britain' in front of a couple of Union Jacks and Bob's your Auntie's live in lover :lolol:

(And yes I know it's the Union Flag, but I didn't say the announcement wasn't on a ship :wink: )

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Don't mention the B word, or the CU phrase, call it a three word slogan like 'Best for Britain' in front of a couple of Union Jacks and Bob's your Auntie's live in lover :lolol:

(And yes I know it's the Union Flag, but I didn't say the announcement wasn't on a ship :wink: )
Yeah sign the papers in a fishing town like Grimsby and call it "The Grimsby Treaty/Protocol/Agreement blah blah blah...." nobody would bat an eyelid.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Truss reported to be off to Taiwan next week to deliver a speach expected to upset China.

As if she hasn't done enough damage to people's finances already.

Liability Liz is back.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Truss reported to be off to Taiwan next week to deliver a speach expected to upset China.

Liability Liz is back.
I've no idea why she's doing that, but at least it might be the first time in years she's said something I agree with.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

Liability Liz is back.
If it was anyone else, you’d praise them for standing up for what’s right. There really is no winning on here.

I know the Tories are easy targets but at least stick to their many actual mistakes

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Liability Liz is back.
She has no right to speak for the UK any more.

The Taiwan situation is obviously very delicate. It shouldn't be used as an excuse for ego maniac politicians as a way to get back in the news.

Leave it to the actual government and the actual diplomats, FFS

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
She has no right to speak for the UK any more.

The Taiwan situation is obviously very delicate. It shouldn't be used as an excuse for ego maniac politicians as a way to get back in the news.

Leave it to the actual government and the actual diplomats, FFS
why? because China says so? their position on Taiwan is equivilent of demanding Republic of Ireland rejoins United Kingdom. maybe if there was less pandering to China's view, they'd have accepted reality that it's an independent nation.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
why? because China says so? their position on Taiwan is equivilent of demanding Republic of Ireland rejoins United Kingdom. maybe if there was less pandering to China's view, they'd have accepted reality that it's an independent nation.

While I’m in broad agreement with your point here, I don’t believe Liz Truss should be going anywhere as a representative of the United Kingdom. If she doesn’t start with “It’s great to be here in Thailand…”, then that only means she’s saving a colossal ricket up for later on.

I saw nothing in her brief tenure as PM to suggest that she has a grip on reality, let alone the finer points of foreign policy.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I don't disagree with you. China are acting like arses. But that doesn't mean the situation isn't delicate. The point is that Liz Truss has got no business dipping her oar in. She doesn't represent the UK in any official capacity, but something tells me she is going to make it look like she does.

Like most tory egotists, the idea of representing her constituents comes second to dressing up, getting your photo taken and being in the news

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
While I’m in broad agreement with your point here, I don’t believe Liz Truss should be going anywhere as a representative of the United Kingdom. If she doesn’t start with “It’s great to be here in Thailand…”, then that only means she’s saving a colossal ricket up for later on.

I saw nothing in her brief tenure as PM to suggest that she has a grip on reality, let alone the finer points of foreign policy.
i wouldn't want Truss speaking on behalf of anything either, that's between her and whatever group has invited her. as she's not part of government any longer, doesn't represent the government. this is the same as arguements made about US politicans going to Taiwan, its really not for China to say who can and cant.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
i wouldn't want Truss speaking on behalf of anything either, that's between her and whatever group has invited her. as she's not part of government any longer, doesn't represent the government. this is the same as arguements made about US politicans going to Taiwan, its really not for China to say who can and cant.
Perhaps we can persuade Suella to not let her back in.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If it was anyone else, you’d praise them for standing up for what’s right. There really is no winning on here.

I know the Tories are easy targets but at least stick to their many actual mistakes
There are still Tories who are capable of a foreign visit, who can make a reasonably diplomatic speech. Remember Chris Patten, who handled the Hong Kong situation very well.
The mistake is to allow Liz Truss to go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here