Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
That is my assessment.

She is a chameleon. A chameleon who changes her colour according to which way the wind is blowing.

She voted remain in 2016. But that was the wrong horse for Liz Truss. So she switched horses, became a hardliner and landed the post of Foreign Sec. Now she is regarded 'as strong a Brexiteer' as Mogg himself.
She doesn't care about what is best for the country. She cares about what is best for Liz Truss.

conviction of Johnson, charisma of May.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
[tweet]1547935066205986817[/tweet]

I can understand the concern, but I'm a little more worried by 'Rebuild the Economy'

Who the f*** has been in charge of 'the economy' for the last few years and would leave it in such a state, that it would seriously need 'rebuilding' :shootself

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
You appear confused.

This began with you telling us that many of us are incapable of seeing the bigger picture. When pressed, you described the bigger picture as 'Brexit is over'.

Now you say it's a marathon not a sprint. So which is it? Is it over, or not over and is a marathon instead?

Here again is what Mogg said of Liz Truss:
'I think she (Liz Truss) is as strong a Brexiteer as either of us. And that is really important'

Why would he say that if he thought Brexit was over? Of course it isn't over. It's a marathon. You said it yourself.

Ok, I'll try and simplify things.

1. The Consequences of the Brexit vote will be evident (for good or bad) for many years to come, hence the 'it's a marathon' comment.
2. When I say that Brexit is over, I mean that we are NOT rejoining the EU any time soon, no one in the Conservative Party has said that we should rejoin, and Keir Starmer has said only this week that there is no going back. So that for me is it.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I hear what you're saying DS, but many on hear grab headlines to shore up the arguments that they were making five years ago. This (Brexit) is a marathon and not a sprint. but, as Ive said before, I would probably vote differently if there was another vote.

Brexit was sold as as a quick fix to all our problems, so the marathon analogy is wrong, you and many others fell for it. Why people did is beyond me but you did and those of us who didn’t are paying the price. The fact that you would vote differently now’s shows that you got it wrong so stop trying excuse yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I hear what you're saying DS, but many on hear grab headlines to shore up the arguments that they were making five years ago. This (Brexit) is a marathon and not a sprint. but, as Ive said before, I would probably vote differently if there was another vote.

How could you vote the same? There’s nothing to leave any more.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I believe Rees Mogg because it is a marathon. Leaving the EU was a means to an end and the just start of what his ideological compatriots have planned.

Just look at the works of his father.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Brexit was sold as as a quick fix to all our problems, so the marathon analogy is wrong, you and many others fell for it. Why people did is beyond me but you did and those of us who didn’t are paying the price. The fact that you would vote differently now’s shows that you got it wrong so stop trying excuse yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Too simplistic DS, Brexit for many of us wasn't a quick fix, very few of us believed that, most people knew that the effects would be with us a long term. My change of opinion however has nothing to do with economics.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This debate is so dull. They are all so insipid.

Sunak now the best of that lot for me, but I'm bored to tears by this so checking out of the show. Anyhow, I don't get a vote so que sera sera.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

1. The Consequences of the Brexit vote will be evident (for good or bad) for many years to come, hence the 'it's a marathon' comment.
2. When I say that Brexit is over, I mean that we are NOT rejoining the EU any time soon, no one in the Conservative Party has said that we should rejoin, and Keir Starmer has said only this week that there is no going back. So that for me is it.

I believe that the Office for Budget responsibility (the Government dept) admitted a year ago that Brexit was twice as bad as the pandemic. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59070020 and certainly didn't need any 'marathon' to prove the consequences.

But you won, definitely, because even though you now you vote the opposite way, I'm sure you must have some serious interests in offshore investments and done very well out of them :thumbsup:

Because otherwise, it would appear you simply voted to smash yourself in your own face, and nobody would be that stupid, would they ???

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
I believe that the Office for Budget responsibility (the Government dept) admitted a year ago that Brexit was twice as bad as the pandemic. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59070020 and certainly didn't need any 'marathon' to prove the consequences.

But you won, definitely, because even though you now you vote the opposite way, I'm sure you must have some serious interests in offshore investments and done very well out of them :thumbsup:

Because otherwise, it would appear you simply voted to smash yourself in your own face, and nobody would be that stupid, would they ???

Economically, I don't have a dog in the race, living off a small pension and photo royalties My change of opinion however has nothing to do with economics.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
The issue is over I'm afraid despite what you might think. There is no going back, we've made the choice rightly or wrongly, even Keir Starmer has come out and said as much. I voted leave, but I would probably vote differently if a vote was going to be held now but it isn't.

we will be mostly or entirely back in with in ten years!

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

To summarise, it isn't over at all then. There may be no reversal in the near future, but beyond that is future gazing. To be more gracious than it deserves, previous attempts at future gazing from Brexiteers have not gone all that well, have they?

And to think, I wasn't even making a point about Brexit in my original post. I was making a point about Liz Truss.

Brexiteers can be incredibly prickly in their defence of their divine Brexit, can't they?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The issue is over I'm afraid despite what you might think. There is no going back, we've made the choice rightly or wrongly, even Keir Starmer has come out and said as much. I voted leave, but I would probably vote differently if a vote was going to be held now but it isn't.

Are you on the sauce TB ? What do I think like ?

Like the above.

Does it help to accuse people of being drunk to make a point?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Economically, I don't have a dog in the race, living off a small pension and photo royalties My change of opinion however has nothing to do with economics.

I'm sorry, I addressed the two points you made and then you say they are not relevant :shrug:

I obviously spent far more time than was warranted. I think I'll leave it here as I try not to engage with trolls, even hopeful amateurs :bigwave:

Last edited:

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
To summarise, it isn't over at all then. There may be no reversal in the near future, but beyond that is future gazing. To be more gracious than it deserves, previous attempts at future gazing from Brexiteers have not gone all that well, have they?

And to think, I wasn't even making a point about Brexit in my original post. I was making a point about Liz Truss.

Brexiteers can be incredibly prickly in their defence of their divine Brexit, can't they?

Yes you did.

It's odd isn't it?

Mogg and Dorries back Truss who, at least in 2016 was a remainer. Wikipedia says Penny Mordaunt was a subscriber to the ERG. Have we missed something?

I just pointed out that their support of Liz Truss obviously had no bearing on her original position on Brexit.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This debate is so dull. They are all so insipid.

Sunak now the best of that lot for me, but I'm bored to tears by this so checking out of the show. Anyhow, I don't get a vote so que sera sera.

I chose not to tune in, and watch the football instead.

It doesn’t surprise me in the slightest to see a comment from a Tory MP, this evening.

"I'm looking at the candidates", says one MP, "and I'm beginning to think we should never have dumped Boris".

And so it begins.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm sorry, I addressed the two points you made and then you say they are not relevant :shrug:

I think I'll leave it here as I try not to engage with trolls, even hopeful amateurs :bigwave:

I agree. I’m out too, even as sober as I am.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I just pointed out that their support of Liz Truss obviously had no bearing on her original position on Brexit.

And in response to your claim, this was posted, which you seemed to have ignored:

"Here again is what Mogg said of Liz Truss:
'I think she (Liz Truss) is as strong a Brexiteer as either of us. And that is really important".

I'd still like to see this 'bigger picture', too.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes

I obviously spent far more time than was warranted. I think I'll leave it here as I try not to engage with trolls, even hopeful amateurs :bigwave:

What ... a couple of posts :lolol: but i agree though, time to move on :bigwave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here