Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Now I know that the ERG has a long established history of complete loonery, but Liz Truss ?

I really can't see beyond the Continuity Candidate or the one funded by Climate change deniers :thumbsup:

It's odd isn't it?

Mogg and Dorries back Truss who, at least in 2016 was a remainer. Wikipedia says Penny Mordaunt was a subscriber to the ERG. Have we missed something?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Starmer's situation was a little different, though, wasn't it? IIRC for Labour both the leader *and* deputy are elected, and they *don't* need to run on the same "ticket". So Starmer was there because the membership wanted him there, not because Corbyn did. It puts a slightly different angle on it for Starmer, and from memory (much as Rayner has done for Starmer) Starmer did on some key issues distance himself from Corbyn, safe in the knowledge Corbyn couldn't just remove him.

Hi Audax,, I take your point, but you get my drift.
I do believe that it is possible, under many circumstances, to honourably ditch the past and start afresh.
In this instance, Sunak,we are led to believe,disowned several of Johnson’s utterances and on occasions declined to defend him when he had the opportunity to do so. I reckon the difference between Sunak’s stance and the likes of Mogg, Dorries and some other apologists is stark.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Hi Audax,, I take your point, but you get my drift.
I do believe that it is possible, under many circumstances, to honourably ditch the past and start afresh.
In this instance, Sunak,we are led to believe,disowned several of Johnson’s utterances and on occasions declined to defend him when he had the opportunity to do so. I reckon the difference between Sunak’s stance and the likes of Mogg, Dorries and some other apologists is stark.

Absolutely agree there. At the end of the day, it may have taken him too long to do it but Sunak did eventually take a stance (along with Javid) and helped bring about Boris' resignation.

Sunak's not a Johnsonite ... but many will still not forgive him for his time in cabinet. Which is why he won't be PM. It'll be either Mordaunt or Truss, IMO ... and heaven help us if it's Truss.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Absolutely agree there. At the end of the day, it may have taken him too long to do it but Sunak did eventually take a stance (along with Javid) and helped bring about Boris' resignation.

Sunak's not a Johnsonite ... but many will still not forgive him for his time in cabinet. Which is why he won't be PM. It'll be either Mordaunt or Truss, IMO ... and heaven help us if it's Truss.

Please, not Liz, she’s got to be stopped somehow.:ohmy::ohmy:

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014

Why is Sunak hindered by his time in cabinet whereas Truss, who claims to want to carry on Johnson's great work, isn't?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
It doesn't really matter who secures leadership of the party does it?, any one of the 5 remaining candidates would wipe the floor with wooden plank Starmer.

FWIW I'm team Badenoch.:thumbsup:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
...any one of the 5 remaining candidates would wipe the floor with wooden plank Starmer.

LE0fqh.gif

???

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
It's odd isn't it?

Mogg and Dorries back Truss who, at least in 2016 was a remainer. Wikipedia says Penny Mordaunt was a subscriber to the ERG. Have we missed something?

Nothing missed, unfortunately many on the left are one dimensional, unable and incapable of seeing the bigger picture.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
The issue is over I'm afraid despite what you might think. There is no going back, we've made the choice rightly or wrongly, even Keir Starmer has come out and said as much. I voted leave, but I would probably vote differently if a vote was going to be held now but it isn't.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
The issue is over I'm afraid despite what you might think. There is no going back, we've made the choice rightly or wrongly, even Keir Starmer has come out and said as much. I voted leave, but I would probably vote differently if a vote was going to be held now but it isn't.

The vote is over but the issue and ongoing effects are not. I'm still uncertain as to this 'bigger picture' you mentioned - was that it? That 'Brexit is over'?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I don’t people thought it was over in the 70s. Democracy is fluid and changes year by year. The more people that think like you, and at the moment only 39% think it’s going well, will bring it into focus again.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
:laugh:

Is that the 'bigger picture' of which you speak? Thanks for clarifying.

The last few years must have been so disappointing for you, firstly those nasty people voted leave, the same nasty people then voted the Tories in with a 80+ majority and then ... the same people were on the streets in their tens of thousands for the Queens Platinum Jubilee. :lolol::lolol: you sometimes come across as a bit angry, be nice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here