Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Does anyone think any of the candidates will seriously embrace net-zero? Not mentioned at all so far...

Nope. They're much more interested in the massively over-inflated non-issues like a couple of boats in the channel than the actual global crisis which is manifesting itself right in front of our eyes.

Looking forward to seeing who is out pushing an end fo net zero in 40+ degree hear early next week. Without even a shred of irony.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Centre - left? Blimey, who said that?

If you're defining it as within the normal "Tory range" (which would be far-right through centre-right post-UKIP absorption) then within that range she'd be a "centre-left" Tory. That still puts her firmly on the right side of politics. She's just closer to centre than most current Tory MPs.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Anyway, Richie Rich has clearly won this. Can’t we just give him the keys and get this dreadful ****ing pantomime over with.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I think it was more a low point in democracy, whilst a known liar and immoral clown was projected as 'a man of the people', whilst Corbyn who despite his faults was a genuine and caring man was vilified......just so the wealthy didn't lose any of their wealthy. Tragically the voters 'brought it' and the PLP stabbed him in the back.

You and I will have to disagree.
Neither of them were suitable candidates to be PM of this country and it wasn’t just the ‘wealthy’ of the country who were worried by Corbyn, McDonnell, Momentum etc.
Anyway, thankfully, they are both now out of the picture (almost in the case of Johnson)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Another week ends. Johnson is still in No.10.

What a powerless, pathetic system we have.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
with the membership, favorite before the contest started. dont know where the hostility comes from just as its unclear where the popularity comes from. maybe she's own person? described as centre left on radio this morning. book review seems positive, and maybe thats unnerving for some.

Centre left?

There’s a former NSC Gammon on Twitter promoting her with the vigorous urges of a teen with a copy of Razzle.

Small government, hard Brexiteer at the end of the day.

She’ll be another Theresa May.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
On a side note it turns out that I live very close to Liz Truss. Saw her getting dropped off at home by drivers / security yesterday evening.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
On a side note it turns out that I live very close to Liz Truss. Saw her getting dropped off at home by drivers / security yesterday evening.

liz-truss.gif

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Another week ends. Johnson is still in No.10.

What a powerless, pathetic system we have.

At least he has become an irrelevance now. Yesterdays news and hardly being talked about now, how he must hate that !

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

I saw her on the TV news the other day, leaving her house and turning left onto the pavement. A minder immediately stepped forward and had to shepherd her in the other direction to her waiting car as she grinned gormlessly at the cameras. Then after her leadership launch event in Westminster she stepped off the podium and strode through the posse of hacks before an aide rushed up and pointed her to the exit which was at the other end of the room and she had to turn around and thread her way back past the reporters. :facepalm: She is unfailingly hopeless.

So far as living near to leadership contenders, I live very close to Kemi Badenoch's constituency home. She is in the next village and I see her fairly frequently in the local NISA shop. Well, I say 'leadership contenders'; no way Badenoch has a hope of winning this obviously, and remains in the race purely out of self-interest as her relatively high numbers and the leverage that gives her should help her to secure a Cabinet position under the next leader.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
with the membership, favorite before the contest started. dont know where the hostility comes from just as its unclear where the popularity comes from. maybe she's own person? described as centre left on radio this morning. book review seems positive, and maybe thats unnerving for some.

Centre Left? No chance. She is also a proven liar with her tales about Turkey, Britain not being allowed a veto, (all documented on the Andrew Marr show) her bragging about the Navy and wearing submariners dolphins which is the action of a Walter Mitty.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Do I detect an even grumpier vibe than usual on this thread his morning?
Maybe the heat is getting to people.:rolleyes::lolol:
Anyway,it seems almost everyone who has commented on this thread has wanted to see the back of Johnson including Tory voters like me and that has come to pass. Whoever becomes the next PM, and I don’t envy him or her, will have a hell of a tough gig and good luck to them. They will also be under a huge amount of scrutiny and will never be able to get away with the shite that Johnson did, which has got to be a good thing.
Personally, I hope Sunak wins and makes a good fist of it. Further down the line, there will be a GE and if the Labour Party don’t go mad, they should surely win it. The Tories will have been in power for too long and need a period in opposition to regather. I just hope that Starmer et al can put forward some policies that are moderate centre left and sensible that will appeal to, or at least not scare, the electorate and business. I am yet to be convinced by Starmer and hope that when a new PM is in situ, he and his colleagues can form a constructive Opposition and one that can wean itself away from the former easy business of criticising a disgraced PM and his useless lapdogs.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
FFS please stop watching Newsnight if you're getting triggered this badly.

The use of 'you're triggered' as an accusation is nearly always a giveaway that the user cannot respond to a point and so is resorting to playing the man not the ball. Its the equivalent of David Cameron's 'Calm Down Dear'.

As I indicated, in an earlier post, I'll be documenting the lack of balance, not because I'm 'triggered', but because it is important that we all know that 'the news' does not appear in isolation, but is subject to the bias of those producing it, or in this case, as has been reported by other posters, the deliberate political pressure being put upon journalists by politicians.

Throughout the BBC's history it has almost always been chaired by Converservatives, but they have always tried to maintain an uneasy truce over the political independence of its news output, because they appreciated that it would not be able to survive as an organisation if this was impaired. It needs to be made clear that the current government is quite happy to trample all over the BBC's independence, because it has no interest in the organisation's survival. The likes of the Murdochs have been lobbying against the BBC for a few decades now and the current government is corrupt and venal enough to do their bidding. I hated Thatcher and all she stood for, but I knew that, although she was ruining Britain, she thought she was making it better. This government has no interest in making the country better. It disguises itself as patriotic, but in truth it is nothing more than an agency of international capital. The BBC, like the NHS, is viewed merely as a block to foreign owned business's market opportunity.

I am hoping that the change of leader will see the removal of Dorries, surely only Truss is mad enough to keep her. However, I suspect that her replacement may be just another ideological attack dog intent on dismantling the BBC. I wrote on here during the last election that, if elected, they would go for the BBC and then the NHS. It's happening before our eyes. Another election win and they'll both be gone. Ah well, never mind. Wouldn't want to make a fuss and be called 'triggered' by the motos.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The use of 'you're triggered' as an accusation is nearly always a giveaway that the user cannot respond to a point and so is resorting to playing the man not the ball. Its the equivalent of David Cameron's 'Calm Down Dear'.

As I indicated, in an earlier post, I'll be documenting the lack of balance, not because I'm 'triggered', but because it is important that we all know that 'the news' does not appear in isolation, but is subject to the bias of those producing it, or in this case, as has been reported by other posters, the deliberate political pressure being put upon journalists by politicians.

Throughout the BBC's history it has almost always been chaired by Converservatives, but they have always tried to maintain an uneasy truce over the political independence of its news output, because they appreciated that it would not be able to survive as an organisation if this was impaired. It needs to be made clear that the current government is quite happy to trample all over the BBC's independence, because it has no interest in the organisation's survival. The likes of the Murdochs have been lobbying against the BBC for a few decades now and the current government is corrupt and venal enough to do their bidding. I hated Thatcher and all she stood for, but I knew that, although she was ruining Britain, she thought she was making it better. This government has no interest in making the country better. It disguises itself as patriotic, but in truth it is nothing more than an agency of international capital. The BBC, like the NHS, is viewed merely as a block to foreign owned business's market opportunity.

I am hoping that the change of leader will see the removal of Dorries, surely only Truss is mad enough to keep her. However, I suspect that her replacement may be just another ideological attack dog intent on dismantling the BBC. I wrote on here during the last election that, if elected, they would go for the BBC and then the NHS. It's happening before our eyes. Another election win and they'll both be gone. Ah well, never mind. Wouldn't want to make a fuss and be called 'triggered' by the motos.

Surely Dorries and Rees Mogg are banking on a move to the other chamber courtesy of Johnson's resignation honours

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
... a disgraced PM and his useless lapdogs.

Three of the last five remaining candidates to replace him as leader are those useless lapdogs (and one other served in May's cabinet). As the fifth is about to be booted out next, I'm not sure where this fresh start is going to come from

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
Three of the last five remaining candidates to replace him as leader are those useless lapdogs (and one other served in May's cabinet). As the fifth is about to be booted out next, I'm not sure where this fresh start is going to come from

It's just a fresh stir.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here