Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Jul 20, 2003
Ben Wallace keeping on top of war and stuff. Probably having to make his own tea .... Hang on ...

And he's gone (BJ that is)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Resignation letter being typed up then off to see HM, announcement/resignation statement circa 11.00 today I expect...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
5843ED90-F386-41B2-BE6C-5F4D6A0776B8.jpeg

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
After listeng to Steve "Hard man of Brexit" Baker this morning, he's gone.

History.

I think he's gone today.

While others are pointing out that he mentioned a potential leadership bid, the most striking comment in that interview was that he said 'We made him PM'. By 'we', he's referring to the hardline Brexiters, ERG, etc. That illustrates just how much power and agency they collectively view themselves as holding.

And while everyone's talking about character, personality, and so forth, something else has been going on. Many within the ERG (Baker, Frost, Bridgen) have turned against Johnson citing the policy framework he's delivered. That's because Johnson hasn't delivered the Singapore-on-Thames that they want implemented. That means a flat tax (pay attention [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION]), reductions in overall taxation, a privatised NHS, the rest of public services slashed, and so on.

What this actually illustrates is what was blindingly obvious in the first half of 2016: although many thought that the Leave/Remain option on the ballot paper was a binary choice, it wasn't; on the Remain side there was continuity, whille on the Leave side, there were multiple different visions that were articulated, so there was actually a one/many option on the ballot paper.
Now we've been subjected to Brexit, all the leading Brexiters are now basically saying, well this wasn't my vision of Brexit and if only this vision was implemented, all will be right with the world.
More fool those for being led on that particular merry dance. The tragedy is that they were predominantly old, and will leave the young with that mess. Ditto with Johnson. Ditto with the climate crisis.
I keep on saying: we need a different politics, a radically different politics. Those clinging to the notion of the centre are just as culpable as the Brexiters, Tories and Johnson.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Markets this minute are not the arbiter of Johnson's fitness to carry on....not sure what point you're attempting to make.

just observation, would expect this chaos lead to selling of £ and shares. both up today, who is PM doesnt matter.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The major takeaway I have from large parts of yesterday is just how terrified the Tories are of a General Election

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Johnson is resigning as tory party leader, but not as prime minister.

****ing hell - he's completely insane!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is the right thing to do BUT all Tory voters and supporters must accept their part in this sorry tale. The warning signs were there long before you voted him your leader.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here