Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Are there any rules that can do that though?
From what I understand the institution relies on a sense of honour and fear of humiliation to force him into line.
As Mick Lynch pointed out, BJ is unembarrassable.

Unless there is a law, which can be invoked, to remove him from office, he will take the nuclear option.

Precisely. I actually think his Dad and perhaps sister might be the ones that have to tell him the games up. Like some hostage situation where, surrounded by armed Police, family members are sent in under a flag of truce to try and persuade him to surrender before he’s killed.

How? What? Why? It’s come to entertaining this kind of bizarre scenario is just astonishing. Unprecedented in Modern political history. And why, as previously said in this thread, we need to reform politics to protect our system of government from a new breed of ‘democratic’ dictators (Johnson and Trump) because as you said, for hundreds of years it’s been based on a fundamental degree of honour and integrity. But narcissists and sociopaths have none, so we need to be able to remove by force too ie the Police able to arrest and physically remove this toddler even when he’s screaming mid tantrum like this morning.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Political commentators think he has no way to survive.
He doesn't see it that way.

He has the ability to unilaterally call a general election, as his government is no longer viable.
Johnson will fancy his chances of hoodwinking the electorate again.

Only the Queen could stop it, by appointing another PM.

It would go against the grain, but I think she might..

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
How will he go?

Are you saying you think Johnson will resign? He hasn’t got it in him to do that, surely?
He'll get the choice to :

(a) resign and may get to stay on as PM until a new leader is elected ( or the Borg Queen may come back as temporary leader ).

(b) get booted out by 1922 rule change and vote by Tuesday ( Steve Baker's line ).

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Precisely. I actually think his Dad and perhaps sister might be the ones that have to tell him the games up. Like some hostage situation where, surrounded by armed Police, family members are sent in under a flag of truce to try and persuade him to surrender before he’s killed.

How? What? Why? It’s come to entertaining this kind of bizarre scenario is just astonishing. Unprecedented in Modern political history. And why, as previously said in this thread, we need to reform politics to protect our system of government from a new breed of ‘democratic’ dictators (Johnson and Trump) because as you said, for hundreds of years it’s been based on a fundamental degree of honour and integrity. But narcissists and sociopaths have none, so we need to be able to remove by force too ie the Police able to arrest and physically remove this toddler even when he’s screaming mid tantrum like this morning.

Spotted at the gates of Downing St, just before dawn…

BCC382AD-C673-4E0E-8F87-9DCAB838509A.jpeg

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Could ALL news networks please stop with vox pops from the public. They provide no facts that the public can use. Generally they only provide small snippets of general ignorance. The respondents might even be very well informed but once their answers have been boiled down to five seconds, who knows?

Utterly pointless.

It's hilarious. I listened to R4's 6 o'clock news last night, but an hour or so after broadcast. In it, they had two localised vox pops (one in Sunak's constitutency) which were not only utterly pointless, but smacked of an editorial decision to fill a slot, when there were much more interesting and pressing items that could have filled those slots.

In typing this, however, it does make me wonder how defiant, little ol' GB News has been coping with this week's events and, in particular, what their Yorkshire correspondent has been up to.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

(a) resign and may get to stay on as PM until a new leader is elected ( or the Borg Queen may come back as temporary leader ).

(b) get booted out by 1922 rule change and vote by Tuesday ( Steve Baker's line ).

1922 Committee playing a dangerous game allowing him time to do the honourable thing.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

(a) - He can’t resign. It’s not in his makeup.

(b) - I believe it’s the ‘convention’ of a PM to step down if they lose a vote of no confidence. Johnson does not do convention. See (a).

Then:

General election incoming.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

He has the ability to unilaterally call a general election, as his government is no longer viable.

Indeed.

If the Tories tell the Queen they have a temporary leader ready to take over ( T.May ? ) then a General Election isn't guaranteed, and Johnson still goes.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
The second half of Boris's tenure has descended into chaos. An utter shambles if it wasn't already.

His government is disintegrating and is surely unable to function. Soon there won't be enough bodies to replace the ones who have jumped ship.

Although it is thoroughly entertaining, this now needs to be brought to a swift end.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Statement from Nadhim Zahawi, appointed Chancellor on Tuesday, saying that the PM should go.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
[tweet]1544903085700653056[/tweet]

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

If Cummins was still around I think he'd have a go.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
(a) - He can’t resign. It’s not in his makeup.

(b) - I believe it’s the ‘convention’ of a PM to step down if they lose a vote of no confidence. Johnson does not do convention. See (a).

Then:

General election incoming.

I agree. He will trigger a general election if a second confidence vote is held.

Even if he loses a confidence vote he won't resign.

Think of that!

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Indeed.

If the Tories tell the Queen they have a temporary leader ready to take over ( T.May ? ) then a General Election isn't guaranteed, and Johnson still goes.

I think this will be the killer blow. Tory grandees will ‘speak’ with Brenda and ask her to refuse the GE request but insist Government choosing a new leader ….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here