Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
No, no, I agree. The UK has given huge amounts of kit to Ukraine. However I'm not giving any special credit to Johnson for this. All he did was sign the cheque. My point in that regard was that the chap on the radio was saying Johnson is a winner in part because they love him in Ukraine, as if this is reason for us in the UK to back him. The whole narrative is to ignore all the bad things he does and give him credit for anything positive associated with the UK, whether Johnson was instrumental or not.

If we were looking for a real example of leadership, as opposed to simply signing another cheque (which he has been more than happy to do - using taxpayers' money - much to the chagrin of many on the tory right), Johnson would have petitioned to define the contingency for when the troops should be sent into Russia. Instead he delayed long enough over sanctions to allow all of those with money tied up in Russia and, (allegedly) all the Russians with money tied up with tories, to get their affairs in order.

No, the man is a chancer, a ruthless gaslighter. People love it, of course. Winner. We have the worst Covid death rate in Europe and yet to many he is a Covid vaccine hero.

Cast your mind to the last part of Lord of the Flies. When the adults turned up they thought they had found resourceful children surviving and at play. In fact they had formed a mob and were about to kill the peculiar boy. At some point, we will get our country back with an honourable leader, an 'adult', and some of us will look back at when the Johnson gang ran the show and think - wow. How the **** did that happen? Others may look at their hands and wonder how close they came to having the nation's blood on them. Others will of course bimble on regardless. I quite like that analogy and will revisit it the day after Johnson goes.

Fully agree Harry, especially with him not being the covid hero that he tells everyone he is.
I do have to point out that the latest Private Eye noted that we are no longer leading Europe for deaths per capita and are now 14th. Nothing to do with the Bunglec#nt but our high rates of vaccine take up after getting an early vaccine.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1111779/coronavirus-death-rate-europe-by-country/

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I can see one other outcome...

...actually no, two - there's also the Zombie Apocalypse.

Would potentially be preferable.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
BBC stating that currently, 73 MPs have publicly declared their support for Boris, including most of the cabinet.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I honestly think he'll survive the vote, but he'll be a lame duck. If and when they get hammered in the Wakefield byelection it'll weaken his position even further.

Quite possibly at a three way junction. Boris goes and they could get in someone decent and salvage the next GE or they could get in someone ghastly and further damage the country and themselves. Or he stays and they wave goodbye to the next GE.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I recognise that IF Johnson goes tonight, we may well have slim pickings regarding a decent successor but at the very least they are going to have to be so careful with integrity and honesty following Boris Johnson’s example that even if Darth Vader himself took office, we are almost guaranteed a few months of integrity or at the very least, a benign PM who is careful not to do any more damage.

It’s saddening that is the best we can hope for but right now a limbless mute in a coma as PM would be preferable to our current A-hole PM, simply because they could do no harm.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Surely if survives this vote tonight, the tories will lose the next election, so why would the back benchers and those with ambition vote for him.
I don't get it, some of these conservatives are decent, and doing a fair job in their own areas.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Angela Richardson, the Conservative MP for Guildford, has issued a statement on Facebook saying she will vote against Boris Johnson this evening.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
BBC stating that currently, 73 MPs have publicly declared their support for Boris, including most of the cabinet.

Its a private vote so I'd fully expect Johnson's cabinet to support him publicly.... what they do when voting may well be different. Most of this Cabinet would be dumped by any new leader but the likes of Javid, Sunak and Gove would all feel they would be given Cabinet posts under a new PM or.. even be that PM .

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If that festering, shit stained mattress of a man goes tonight, I will stop off on my way home from shift tomorrow morning and buy a bottle of champagne and a cigar and sit in my garden revelling in his downfall. Genuinely.

If he doesn’t go, it’s 4 cans of Asda lager and a roll up.

Either way, I’ll post pics

:)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Might he fall on his sword before the vote?

Everything we've seen from Johnson suggests that even if he LOSES the vote he will have to be dragged out of number 10, like a dishevelled drunk being chucked out at closing time.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
And Rees-Mogg claimed that the fact that Johnson received “a little bit of booing” when he arrived at St Paul’s Cathedral for the service for the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee was “perfectly normal”.

When Sky News played the clip to him, he accused them of turning up the volume to make it sound worse than it was.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Tories attacking Tories....

Culture Secretary Nadine Dorries has launched an extraordinary attack on her fellow Conservative and widely tipped leadership contender Jeremy Hunt.

Dorries accuses him of telling her the government would "swiftly collapse" after Brexit and he would "swoop in".

"You’ve been wrong about almost everything, you are wrong again now"

Dorries adds that when she was a health minister, Hunt told her the government should follow the pandemic response of China and other countries, with mandatory two-week stays in quarantine hotels for infected people.

She says he demanded evidence that British people would never accept being forcibly separated from their loved ones. "Your handling of the pandemic would have been a disaster," she says.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
This is at least entertaining lol

Hunt is awful as well.

Nadine Dorries
@NadineDorries
1/4 On afternoon of 23rd July 2020 when I was health minister you telephoned me to tell me that we had to handle the pandemic following the example set by the East/China. That people testing + should be removed from their homes and placed into isolation hotels for two weeks.

2/4You said yr wife’s family had experience of this during SARS. I said that British people would never tolerate being removed from their homes and loved ones at which point you demanded I show you the evidence for that. Your handling of the pandemic would have been a disaster.

3/4 Your pandemic preparation during six years as health secretary was found wanting and inadequate.Your duplicity right now in destabilising the party and country to serve your own personal ambition, more so.

4/4You told others that PM and Gov would swiftly collapse on back of Brexit and you would swoop in. You told me as much in Victoria St after GE. If you had been leader you’d have handed the keys of No10 to Corbyn. You’ve been wrong about almost everything, you are wrong again now
11:51 AM · Jun 6, 2022·Twitter for iPhone

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here