Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Because it's happening before potentially losing the two by elections coming up by a large swing margin

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

If I was Keir Starmer, I'd prefer the VOnC today too. Nothing screams Labour election victory more than another year of Johnson.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Because it's happening before potentially losing the two by elections coming up by a large swing margin

“How “, not “why”…

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
If there are 50 letters he actually asks 4 MPs to write 4 more. Not exactly difficult.

If he really relished a Confidence vote to establish his authority, he could just call one, as John Major once did. He doesn't need to wait for a certain number of letters to be submitted,

On that basis I think we can assume Johnson would rather this isn't happening tonight or at any other time.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I was reading something over the weekend that quite a few Tory MPs are deeply frustrated regarding the "build and fund 40 new hospitals over the next 10 years" pledge that Johnson made at the last election because when they enquire regarding progress it appears the process has yet to start.

Its almost as if he 'just made it up'...???

as far as i can tell there isnt even a plan. at least there is one for the nuclear plants. on both these and the issue of house building we desperatly need a strong leader who'll explain to the nimby's and protestors why they must happen, how they will happen and move forward. they've already jettisoned any meaningful home building by dumping changes to force through strategc plans.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Exactly, Johnson is giving Labour an open goal in the next general election

His vanity / hubris / ego won't let it go. The fate of the Tory party comes a distant 2nd.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
06D772B8-1A06-4F83-B617-42D6D8556B5A.png

Beth Rigby has just posted this.
It’s the pro Johnson briefing sheet for Tory MPs still loyal. This is what they are expected to say with regard to the vote of no confidence.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If he really relished a Confidence vote to establish his authority, he could just call one, as John Major once did. He doesn't need to wait for a certain number of letters to be submitted,

On that basis I think we can assume Johnson would rather this isn't happening tonight or at any other time.

John Major called a parliamentary confidence vote when his government lost an initial vote on the Maastricht Treaty. This is a Tory Parliamentry Party vote on their leader. I'm not even sure whether their rules allow a leader to call one on themselves or not? Anyway, hypothetical of course, just seems a good idea to get it out of the way before any real momentum builds behind an actual challenger.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Tory MPs have been told, if they take a picture of their ballot paper, their vote will be invalid, ITV’s Anushka Asthana reports. Sir Graham Brady, the chairman of the Conservative 1922 Committee, has stressed this to ensure that MPs do not come under pressure from No 10 to produce evidence that they actually did vote for Boris Johnson.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If there are 50 letters he actually asks 4 MPs to write 4 more. Not exactly difficult.

What appears to have happened is that a lot of MPs waited till as late as possible to put in their vote to reduce drawing attention away from the jubilee, which was very thoughtful.

Johnson will of course say he welcomes the vote.

Just listening to someone on radio 5 extolling Johnson's virtues as a 'winner' who 'gets the big things done'. Apparently Johson isn't inept because 'look at the vaccine rollout and look at Ukraine'.

When Johnson's acolytes still give him credit for the vaccine rollout (when it happened despite him, as has been well documented) and 'what he's done for Ukraine' (words fail me - he obtained a photo opportunity - tell me that Putin has quit and I'll think again).

And finally 'Boris is a winner and Starmer is a looser'.

Wow. OK mate :facepalm:

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Another delusional one..

Work and Pensions Secretary Therese Coffey tells the BBC she expects Boris Johnson to be endorsed by Tory MPs with a "significant majority" this evening.

She says MPs "won’t want the chaos of some destructive, divisive leadership contest in the next few months".

Echoing other supporters, Coffey says Johnson has got the "big calls" right on issues such as Covid vaccines and "standing up to Putin".

Asked about polling that suggests 55% of Conservative voters feel the PM is not trustworthy, she says he is focused on the strategic issues.

Coffey says she believes Johnson is trustworthy. "He delivers on the promises he's made to people," she insists.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
John Major called a parliamentary confidence vote when his government lost an initial vote on the Maastricht Treaty. This is a Tory Parliamentry Party vote on their leader. I'm not even sure whether their rules allow a leader to call one on themselves or not? Anyway, hypothetical of course, just seems a good idea to get it out of the way before any real momentum builds behind an actual challenger.

Good point. Can Boris, or any Tory Leader, say to his MPs that he has no confidence in himself and ask for a vote of reassurance? Be madness even if they could.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
If, ( big if) he loses, then we have a Tory party only vote for a new leader and, hence Prime Minister, voted for by the 160,000 members of the Party.

Don’t you just love, great British Democracy.

Let’s just hope he loses.

Now onto what happens if he does. An awful lot of Tory MPs know that they will likely lose their seat if a GE was called in the short term. As much as Boris is a catastrophe, not all Tory PMs are as woeful no matter who you support. Tory MPs will back another PM for two reasons, firstly to save their own skin, and secondly because they actually do believe that any other Tory PM would be preferable to a Labour government. If that PM can then turn the Tory fortunes around then those loyal to him/her would hope to save their seat, and maybe pick up a ministerial post further down the line.

From afar I think the UK could benefit from one or two terms of a Labour PM, but don’t be surprised, or offended, if Tory MPs work against this even if they do oust BJ.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
What appears to have happened is that a lot of MPs waited till as late as possible to put in their vote to reduce drawing attention away from the jubilee, which was very thoughtful.

Johnson will of course say he welcomes the vote.

Just listening to someone on radio 5 extolling Johnson's virtues as a 'winner' who 'gets the big things done'. Apparently Johson isn't inept because 'look at the vaccine rollout and look at Ukraine'.

When Johnson's acolytes still give him credit for the vaccine rollout (when it happened despite him, as has been well documented) and 'what he's done for Ukraine' (words fail me - he obtained a photo opportunity - tell me that Putin has quit and I'll think again).

And finally 'Boris is a winner and Starmer is a looser'.

Wow. OK mate :facepalm:

Normally agree with you on pretty much most things (and agree 100% on the vaccine rollout and his general ineptness) - and I desperately want him gone - but don't underestimate how much military support the UK has given and continues to give Ukraine.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
He'll rat his way into scraping a win. This will go on for years. Stop the world, I want to get off.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The Sunday Times yesterday said that 67 letters had gone in to Brady and that up to 190 could vote against Johnson which is more than needed to get rid of him.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
View attachment 148607

Beth Rigby has just posted this.
It’s the pro Johnson briefing sheet for Tory MPs still loyal. This is what they are expected to say with regard to the vote of no confidence.

Putting aside the content, that's appallingly formatted.

If you put absolutely everything in bold and underline every other sentence, then nothing stands out as a key point and you may as well have written everything in regular font with no underlining, or italics.. Times New Roman is also a messy and not easily read font, especially when used in 11 point or below.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here