Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The Sun pointed out how they’ll be a leadership election every 3 months if their Boris faced a vote of no confidence.

I’d question their logic and yours. Boris is safe for a year if he wins, not a couple of months. If you think he’d resign, you’re obviously a lot madder than many on NSC would suspect. How else will he be gone?
It seems they can change the rules easily.

If Johnson wins tonight and has 2 catastrophic by-election results there would surely be a quick rule change and another vote.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Certainly a few quid to be made here......

bet.jpg

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
He'll have engineered the best time for this to happen. He knew it was coming, he'll breeze through it I suspect.

I'm optimistic that a lot more Tory MP's will pile in now they have the chance. They know how Johnson works now and hopefully realise that there needs to be a swift, decisive result. Only then with him gone they can start trying to de-toxify the party by getting rid of the dullards, idiots and liars he has appointed to Cabinet to make him look good. .. the likes of Raab. Patel, Dorres and Shapps and co have to go as they have sold their souls by lying to support him..

Johnson has today to try to ring round and threaten and cajole enough votes to hang on with more lies and promises and I'm hoping they won't fall for it.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Surely if he wins, no matter how narrowly, the 1922 Rules are that he can't be challenged again for a further 12 months?

He won't resign.

I know Theresa May did even when she won her Vote but she was somewhat more honourable...

From memory didnt May say vote for me and I’ll leave in 6 months?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Anyone know if the no-confidence vote is private or will 'rebels' be known?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
...those he thinks are ring leaders of the anti-Boris campaign if he wins.

For me, this is his biggest problem.

I don't believe there are 'ring leaders' nor is there a proposed alternative leader for him to focus on. It seems to be organic - just a general and growing 'feeling' of dissatisfaction that Johnson has become utterly toxic with the proportion of the electorate that would normally vote Conservative.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
He will never resign, he'll have to be pushed out and they haven't got the bottle to do that at the moment.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Here's a theory. Johnson knew the threshold was being reached and has gambled that he can get a majority, albeit a small one, now rather than if the vote occurs after the two bi-elections. Lose those and he would be absolute toast. If he wins, even by one vote he doesn't have to resign and he has a year without another challenge. No other leader would think to carry on in that scenario but Johnson doesn't have it in him to resign and those around him know most of them would be out of a job as soon as he's gone so they're not going to be reliable advocates for him.

So, to engineer a vote for a time when he thinks he has a better chance of winning why not get some back seat mates to submit letters!!

Load of bollox but wouldn't put it past him.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
He will never resign, he'll have to be pushed out and they haven't got the bottle to do that at the moment.

I think that's right but Johnson has dragged down the reputation of all who have aligned with him and they must know that the longer he stays the lower their reputation will sink; and if they keep him for the next election, well, that's all to the good..... for all other Parties!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Here's a theory. Johnson knew the threshold was being reached and has gambled that he can get a majority, albeit a small one, now rather than if the vote occurs after the two bi-elections. Lose those and he would be absolute toast. If he wins, even by one vote he doesn't have to resign and he has a year without another challenge. No other leader would think to carry on in that scenario but Johnson doesn't have it in him to resign and those around him know most of them would be out of a job as soon as he's gone so they're not going to be reliable advocates for him.

So, to engineer a vote for a time when he thinks he has a better chance of winning why not get some back seat mates to submit letters!!

If that was the plan, then doing it straight after the jubilee weekend would have seemed a smart idea. Country getting proud, lots of nationalist fervour, everything is possible vibes.. not a bad time to put everything behind us and move forward stronger.

Well the booing and the comedians have rather put pay to that idea....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
For me, this is his biggest problem.

I don't believe there are 'ring leaders' nor is there a proposed alternative leader for him to focus on. It seems to be organic - just a general and growing 'feeling' of dissatisfaction that Johnson has become utterly toxic with the proportion of the electorate that would normally vote Conservative.

commented on radio this morning, there is no organiser or coordination. this on one hand makes it organic as you say, on the other hand probably weak rebellion. unless something drastically happend today Johnson will probably limp on. it what he does, get away with it.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I'm optimistic that a lot more Tory MP's will pile in now they have the chance. They know how Johnson works now and hopefully realise that there needs to be a swift, decisive result. Only then with him gone they can start trying to de-toxify the party by getting rid of the dullards, idiots and liars he has appointed to Cabinet to make him look good. .. the likes of Raab. Patel, Dorres and Shapps and co have to go as they have sold their souls by lying to support him..

Johnson has today to try to ring round and threaten and cajole enough votes to hang on with more lies and promises and I'm hoping they won't fall for it.

Getting rid of Trump hasn't done much to de-toxify the Republicans. It's like removing a cancerous tumour: Sadly there's always a risk that it's spread throughout the rest of the body. It's not just those above that are reliant on Johnson, many, many Toies won their seats on the back of his "bombastic" style

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i dont know how anyone believes Johnson is incapable leader while also a deeply machivallian stratigist. if he was capable of this type of planning, he'd be a damn sight better leader.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
He'll have engineered the best time for this to happen. He knew it was coming, he'll breeze through it I suspect.

It's interesting that he knew yesterday, a day before the rest of us. Graham Brady says he met with the PM on Sunday to discuss the process. That has given Johnson that little bit of time to wheel and deal.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Boris will limp on much like this sad state of a country right now, we have been tittering on the edge of disaster ever since Brexit.
This country has no manufacturing, or trade skill sets anymore, reliant on foreign folk willing to do manual and trade skills as in the building industry. To much emphasis has been put into the media, Tech and financial industries, which is all well and good, but we lack the backbone in this country anymore that keeps those industries required now that foreign labour and industries are pulling out.

Boris & his fast buck, quick power grabbing cronies are the root cause of these failings, with their short sighted ambitions.

Sick of it, but he will survive and have the audacity to claim this as a vote of confidence and all is well...

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here