Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
So promises made before the Referendum in support of Leaving don't need to be kept. I see.

'Leaving the EU' means 'Leaving the EU'. That's it. Delivering Brexit promised much, much more

I swear before Brexit people didn't start sentences with 'So'.

Bloody Brexit.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So promises made before the Referendum in support of Leaving don't need to be kept. I see.

This is the crux of the problem. Lies lies and more lies. ‘Nobody is talking about leaving the Single Market’.
‘we’ll get a better deal than we’ve got now’.

Those were outright lies that affected some votes, which is why lies told now are dismissed because people cannot admit, they were lied to.

We all have to live, or die, with the consequences.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
I think the context Harry is that to many of us it is only our own opinions of events that matters. There are a number of posters on NSC, media people etc that have been screaming hatred and contempt for Johnson ever since the Referendum. Those voices have cried wolf so often and with such contempt to those with whom they disagree that they are now roundly ignored. I (and many others) am pleased with the way I cast my vote in 2019 because it was the only leaving EU option on offer. I am broadly supportive of the way most Governments (including our own) handled the early stages of the pandemic. I am not supportive of their lockdown breaches and their being too quick to relax restrictions. I am sure I will be shouted down by the black and white world inhabited by many on NSC.

Just when you wonder who on earth can support these cretins you get a post like this :ffsparr:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
You don’t think that delivering Brexit means leaving the EU ? Blimey

It does. So really you should credit Teresa May who is the PM who triggered article 50.

What Boris did was agree a withdrawal agreement with the rest of the EU member states, an agreement which he is now trying to break or ignore in many places, which again speaks to the character and integrity of the man.

On matters big and small, the man lies. Fired as a journalist for fabricating a story. Fired as a shadow minister for lying about an extramarital affair. Lying about parties, lying to his European counterparts as he shakes hands on a deal.

We should expect more

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Yes, there was nothing wrong with explaining what could be achieved by leaving if people wished it. There weren’t any fixed conditions associated with leaving because that campaign did not speak on behalf of the political parties and certainly could not set party policy for future elections. Interestingly Remain promised an emergency budget if we voted to leave. That didn’t happen and you haven’t mentioned it. Anyway, this is a thread derailment and these arguments have been aired many times.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Just when you wonder who on earth can support these cretins you get a post like this :ffsparr:

Hang on, we may not agree with his politics but he doesn't resort to abuse like others do and he does recognise nuance in his posts unlike many who defend their side to the bitter end (and there will be a bitter end for BoJo, thankfully). But less of the 'cretins', eh?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
What we subsequently did was left up to Johnson when he was voted in with a majority hence, no single market membership, no solution to Northern Ireland, Fishing Industry decimated, Exporters hamstrung etc etc

He was voted in with completely free reign to decide exactly what he wanted Brexit to look like and to run the country for the next 5 years. I'm stunned by the number of people who voted for all this 2 years ago and now don't want what they voted for :shrug:

I do want what I voted for. Perhaps the other parties should have gone into the election with a positive vision of their own version of Brexit so as to give people a choice ? Stunning own goal never acknowledged by Remainers.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Delivering Brexit means leaving the EU. We did. The other parties were trying to prevent that from happening. These are facts.
I think the other parties were trying to prevent economic suicide. That's a fact too.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
This is the crux of the problem. Lies lies and more lies. ‘Nobody is talking about leaving the Single Market’.
‘we’ll get a better deal than we’ve got now’.

Those were outright lies that affected some votes, which is why lies told now are dismissed because people cannot admit, they were lied to.

We all have to live, or die, with the consequences.

And those who fell for these lies, or chose to believe them because they reinforced their political views or prejudices, now dismiss criticism with the a lazy claim that "Yeah, but all politicians lie; they're all as bad as each other. Wouldn't be any different if any other party was in government."

That so many people make this lazy, facile, claim is sad testimony to just how far this country has dumbed-down, and just how morally and politically bankrupt so many Brexitters and Johnson supporters are.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It does. So really you should credit Teresa May who is the PM who triggered article 50.

What Boris did was agree a withdrawal agreement with the rest of the EU member states, an agreement which he is now trying to break or ignore in many places, which again speaks to the character and integrity of the man.

On matters big and small, the man lies. Fired as a journalist for fabricating a story. Fired as a shadow minister for lying about an extramarital affair. Lying about parties, lying to his European counterparts as he shakes hands on a deal.

We should expect more

I completely agree with everything in your post

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Hang on, we may not agree with his politics but he doesn't resort to abuse like others do and he does recognise nuance in his posts unlike many who defend their side to the bitter end (and there will be a bitter end for BoJo, thankfully). But less of the 'cretins', eh?

He said this, I rest my case.

'I (and many others) am pleased with the way I cast my vote in 2019 because it was the only leaving EU option on offer. I am broadly supportive of the way most Governments (including our own) handled the early stages of the pandemic'

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
You don’t think that delivering Brexit means leaving the EU ? Blimey

I think it means delivering on the promises made by the Leave campaign at the referendum and those made by Johnson in the last GE, but I think you know that don't you? And it does of course continue to reinforce my point that this govt and its supporters care less for facts and more for making desperate attempts to cover up the fundamental lack of integrity, honesty and morals that are the heart of Johnson and his govt.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He said this, I rest my case.

'I (and many others) am pleased with the way I cast my vote in 2019 because it was the only leaving EU option on offer. I am broadly supportive of the way most Governments (including our own) handled the early stages of the pandemic'

You may not realise but a cretin was a baby born without a thyroid gland, so became mentally handicapped, before doctors realised that it could be treated with iodine medication.
Call someone a fool, by all means, but not a cretin.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
How Boris’s mind might have been thinking on his morning ‘jog’ today… (courtesy of The Guardian):

“Surely if he’d only been there for 10 minutes he couldn’t really be said to have attended. Like if you didn’t stay the night, it didn’t count as an affair. That had been one of his oldest excuses. Plus it wasn’t as if there had been booze and everyone had got pissed. Besides, it had been a surprise party. So by definition, he couldn’t have known about it.”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here