Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I think you might find that the ultimate person who will have the authority and the right to hand out the disciplinary penalties is..... Step forward Boris Johnson!!!! So, don't expect much of a penalty from him!

Really??? Now that would be a turn up for the books!!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Can’t we sell the Tory Party and keep the NHS?

We could privatise the Tory party..... we could flog off all their Conservative Club sites for affordable housing for a start.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Thanks, so Cressidas Dick has a clear line of political accountability, ultimately to the occupant of No 10. Perhaps that explains why the Met seems to be so reluctant to investigate any of the party allegations (to part answer my own question - the Met apparently have a hastily cobbled together and very convenient policy of no retrospective investigations re Covid)?
And Sue Gray is a senior civil servant so presumably she also is in some way accountable to ministers and No 10?
Can you see where I'm coming from???

Regards the Met. Doesn’t 10 Downing St have round the clock police presence? If so why wasn’t this ‘party’ noticed/reported up etc. Or perhaps it was and the Met ignored it. This was as a time when the Met were handing out fines for breaking the rules.

There’s also usually press/reporters at Downing St just in case something happens and in May last year in the early days of the pandemic there was news every day. I can’t work out how it’s taken so long for this story to break.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Ultimately, the only way Boris will get the heave-ho is if his own MPs decide that enough is enough. That could be much closer to happening now.

Unfortunately, and what is holding the process up, is that his successor needs to have done the groundwork and be ready to take over.

With the most inexperienced, incompetent and corrupt cabinet in history, the Covid crisis still ongoing, energy costs going through the roof (and the price cap to imminently address), Export markets dying, PPE fast track contracts to be investigated, Import measures finally being bought in, Inflation and living costs running away, a solution to the Northern Ireland Protocol no nearer than when Johnson/Frost first proposed it, a three fold increase in channel crossing refugees, various factions pushing their various agendas within the conservative party, who is ready to step forward, claim none of this was anything to do with them, and lead the country out of it all ?

I don't think the issue is actually getting rid of Johnson any more :shrug:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Unfortunately, and what is holding the process up, is that his successor needs to have done the groundwork and be ready to take over.

With the most inexperienced, incompetent and corrupt cabinet in history, the Covid crisis still ongoing, energy costs going through the roof (and the price cap to imminently address), Export markets dying, PPE fast track contracts to be investigated, Import measures finally being bought in, Inflation and living costs running away, a solution to the Northern Ireland Protocol no nearer than when Johnson/Frost first proposed it, a three fold increase in channel crossing refugees, various factions pushing their various agendas within the conservative party, who is ready to step forward, claim none of this was anything to do with them, and lead the country out of it all ?

I don't think the issue is actually getting rid of Johnson any more :shrug:

Yes but apart from that ...

I agree with your last point. We're still in a pandemic. We've been told that Brexit would be over (it isn't over, and what has been completed is hardly worth shouting about -- who'd have thought that?). They were going to level up. And 2022 is coming down the line. It's an almighty mess, and they only elected him as their leader less than three years ago, having changed leaders twice before that while in power. Getting rid of Johnson now will mean a leadership contest lasting 3-6 months when all the things you mention still apply and/or are deteriorating.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think Johnson's journey would have been over by now, or at least on its last legs, if he had lost the last lot of covid restriction votes before Xmas.

We can't overlook that the Leader of the opposition whipped his MPs into supporting the government thereby prolonging the tenure of this lying, corrupt, immoral PM. Yes, we would still have a Tory government but at least it wouldn't have been led by this total ****wit.

Don't like Johnson? Want him gone? Blame Starmer that he is still there.
I blame the Tory MPs for not sending enough letters into the 1922 committee.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Ultimately, the only way Boris will get the heave-ho is if his own MPs decide that enough is enough. That could be much closer to happening now.

He better be a good boy then, Charles Walker on C4 just now said he has 6-months to make some strong decisions...

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I couldn't remember what I was doing around 20th May 2020.

Then I realised the Cummings live press conference in the No 10 garden was five days later on the 25th May.

That whole thing was brewing and they threw a party.

Anyone remember this on the 24th ?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ivil-service-arrogant-offensive-a9530706.html

I can.
My Mum died on the 8th May 2020 and was cremated on the 28th.
I don't hate Johnson anymore today than I did when he was Mayor and then PM, I knew it was coming, I am not surprised.
In fact, the truth is, the party although ridiculously stupid and totally insensitive, is not overly important apart from the fact that I hope that finally it leads to his downfall.
Have people totally forgotten all of the things he did politically before and since he became PM, including Brexit.
He should have been thrown out and publicly flogged when he said let the virus rip and pile them high while at the same time due to being so weak and unable to make tough decisions in case he will not be liked which lead to thousands of unnecessary deaths.
The fact that he is still PM and able to attend this party is disgusting.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I’m going to be interested to see the lead stories on the news programmes tonight.

If they lead with this rather than another bunch of mundane COVID stats or some scientist warning about something then I think he may be in trouble.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
From a former Editor of The Sun...

Capture.PNG

The system is set up to protect this cabal

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’m going to be interested to see the lead stories on the news programmes tonight.

If they lead with this rather than another bunch of mundane COVID stats or some scientist warning about something then I think he may be in trouble.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting.

BBC speculating that maybe Starmer will back off tomorrow because it is in Labour's interest to have Johnson stay as tory leader, ready to be defenestrated at the next GE.

I find this sort of political chatter to be quite dispiriting. I would hope that Starmer will do his job and hold Johnson to acount without fear or favour.

Either way the next GE is still a long way away, whether the tories continue to be headed by Johnson or someone else. The problem for them is that if Johnson becomes genuinely toxic (and in the minds of average punters he's still fireproof I fear) I can't see who they can replace him with. Sunak? **** me, no. He comes across like a primary school teacher, or a greeter at a high street building society branch. All the old tory heavyweights are gone. Gove? **** me, no. Boris has been clever by surrounding himself with the political equivalents of Tizer, Blue Nun and Babycham. I will leave you to decide which of those is Mad Nad Dorries :facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It seems to be a part of the claim that nobody cares about what Boris etc do, so they can get away with whatever it is. The reality is that most people don’t put politics at the heart of their daily lives. There are other much more important issues. That doesn’t mean they don’t care. They will take everything into account when casting their next vote as that is the next opportunity to register an opinion. The left are too quick to think that people are stupid and that arrogance is often their downfall. They need to relax and let people make up their own minds.

This

(and I'm a labour party member)

Jul 20, 2003
Just caught up with Michael Ellis taking one for the team earlier today. He'll get a knighthood for that.

I guess Johnson will now be a useful idiot for the Tories and they'll plough through as much (entirely justified) shitty fallout before acting swiftly 9 months before the next general election is required, get Liz Truss in, declare war on Canada and dish out a tiny tax cut.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Interesting.

BBC speculating that maybe Starmer will back off tomorrow because it is in Labour's interest to have Johnson stay as tory leader, ready to be defenestrated at the next GE.

I find this sort of political chatter to be quite dispiriting. I would hope that Starmer will do his job and hold Johnson to acount without fear or favour.

Either way the next GE is still a long way away, whether the tories continue to be headed by Johnson or someone else. The problem for them is that if Johnson becomes genuinely toxic (and in the minds of average punters he's still fireproof I fear) I can't see who they can replace him with. Sunak? **** me, no. He comes across like a primary school teacher, or a greeter at a high street building society branch. All the old tory heavyweights are gone. Gove? **** me, no. Boris has been clever by surrounding himself with the political equivalents of Tizer, Blue Nun and Babycham. I will leave you to decide which of those is Mad Nad Dorries :facepalm:

Doesn't matter what Labour do, Johnson will get knifed by his own party quite soon I reckon. Starmer can keep out of it and let them eat themselves over the next few weeks

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Doesn’t seem to be getting better for the PM

[tweet]1481026880144908292[/tweet]

[tweet]1481029561047564294[/tweet]

[tweet]1481033700997574668[/tweet]

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Doesn’t seem to be getting better for the PM

Johnson is the great survivor.

There will be a statement before PMQs and the Mail’s advice will be taken:

“He must apologise and show humility, only then can he survive.”

He’s going to ride this one out isn’t he?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Johnson is the great survivor.

There will be a statement before PMQs and the Mail’s advice will be taken:

“He must apologise and show humility, only then can he survive.”

He’s going to ride this one out isn’t he?

No he‘s done. Johnson will not Contest the next election

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here