Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Agree, but mostly they do. Infact I have one of my parents has now ditched them for the first time ever.

Generally without this group they could never win an election.
Lucky we're all dying off then 😃 - to be honest, I really can't see our younger generation voting for a Tory Government - ever.
Well maybe until they get into their 50's

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

And there you have it. Nothing about improving the lives of people in this country, just the exploitation of prejudice and scapegoats to try and cling on to power. The modern day Conservative Party are not a serious party of government, just a cynical, self-serving bunch of grifters. I hope they get wiped out at the next election.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Quite how Ofcom haven't stepped in now there are three serving conservative MPs presenting shows on GBTV is beyond me.

Before someone mentions LBC, that's a complete different set up where opinionated presenters are scheduled against each other, although I'd be happier if serving MPs weren't presenting.

It's still in my mind a very odd tactic if the polls are to be believed.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Maybe the tin foil hat was unnecessary.

The media will get everyone primed and ready. Enid Blyton on the front line.

With GBNews of course

Drag queens or pantomime Dames?

I loved going to pantomimes 70 years ago. Great entertainers like Nat Jackley, Stanley Baxter, Christopher Biggins etc etc
The principal boy was a female, for goodness sake.

Mainstream entertainers like Dame Edna Everage, Danny La Rue, Lily Savage?

Shakespeare had women dressed up as boys.

Where will it all end?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Drag queens or pantomime Dames?

I loved going to pantomimes 70 years ago. Great entertainers like Nat Jackley, Stanley Baxter, Christopher Biggins etc etc
The principal boy was a female, for goodness sake.

Mainstream entertainers like Dame Edna Everage, Danny La Rue, Lily Savage?

Shakespeare had women dressed up as boys.

Where will it all end?
Well it appears the Tories hope it will end in reelection. Just depends on how fully the public buy into it I suppose.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Quite how Ofcom haven't stepped in now there are three serving conservative MPs presenting shows on GBTV is beyond me.

Before someone mentions LBC, that's a complete different set up where opinionated presenters are scheduled against each other, although I'd be happier if serving MPs weren't presenting.

It's still in my mind a very odd tactic if the polls are to be believed.
With LBC they've had MP's presenting like David Lammy & Jeremy Hunt but they have to face callers

On Gebeebies there's very little resistance, often just a bunch of people agreeing with each other pushing pro government propaganda.

Ofcom needs to act...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
With LBC they've had MP's presenting like David Lammy & Jeremy Hunt but they have to face callers

On Gebeebies there's very little resistance, often just a bunch of people agreeing with each other pushing pro government propaganda.

Ofcom needs to act...
Ofcom is toothless, but whatever investigation does start is soon quashed, especially when Johnson wanted to put his own man, Paul Dacre, in charge.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
But they can cut them off and rant all they like.

The model is different though and (my understanding) is specifically allowed because of the mix of presenters.

GBNews is becoming effectively a party political broadcast for a wing of a particular party.

I'm personally very uncomfortable with serving MPs presenting talk shows on radio or TV and that includes Lammy.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Ofcom is toothless, but whatever investigation does start is soon quashed, especially when Johnson wanted to put his own man, Paul Dacre, in charge.
It clearly isn't toothless having already made judgments on their output, but it needs a review of its rules regarding presenters or least applying a balance like it does with LBC.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
But they can cut them off and rant all they like.

The model is different though and (my understanding) is specifically allowed because of the mix of presenters.

GBNews is becoming effectively a party political broadcast for a wing of a particular party.

I'm personally very uncomfortable with serving MPs presenting talk shows on radio or TV and that includes Lammy.
Agree I don't like it at all. These people have work to do for their constituents. I'd like to see the rules tightened....

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Boris Johnson will give his first televised evidence next Wednesday on whether he misled parliament over Partygate, the privileges committee has announced.

The committee, which is chaired by the Labour MP Harriet Harman, has said the former prime minister has accepted an invitation to give evidence at 2pm on 22 March.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It clearly isn't toothless having already made judgments on their output, but it needs a review of its rules regarding presenters or least applying a balance like it does with LBC.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Well that seems like a fairly open and shut case, what weaselly worded excuses did they come up with to try and avoid having to do what clearly needs to be done?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Already seen that live thanks, but there aren't and "news" programmes on the channel and that's where the rules apply.

The rules clearly need to change, but I'm not sure there is a lot Ofcom can do at the moment.
Which is why I called them toothless.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Which is why I called them toothless.
Hardly toothless, they fine broadcasters all the time.

I think viewers also need to separate their political beliefs what they disagree with on screen.

There is also nothing to stop someone launching a left of centre "news" (or not) channel.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here