Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
i know people want this to be a brexit issue, that doesn't make sense. see produce from Peru, Chile, Egypt, Kenya, Malaysia... why would Spain be difficult? supermarkets buy up direct from suppliers, soak up the cost of paperwork and other burdens. supply of tomatoes from Morocco wont be changed by brexit.
not convinced how wide a problem it is anyway, there's too much crying wolf, seen pictures on twitter claiming empty shelves for weeks or months, often same pics, reposted, retweeted, one last week was showing an xmas offer in the background. not seen in person. so maybe local or time of day (stocks might be low late on a Saturday) a factor
Show it here with this week's date on it.

Meanwhile, people who live in Europe are reproducing their local supermarket shelves, showing tomatoes from Morocco

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
This is where it falls apart a bit. If the article was a damning indictment on Brexit and explains why Brexit is at fault for the stock shortages, it’d be cited as a neutral reliable source. As stated above, the additional border controls aren’t actually in force yet, and in Almeria they are locally reporting a record low harvest yield.

Brexit was/is shit and self destructive for the country, but not every issue can be attributed to it as a sort of catch-all heat sink.
It appears different people think there are different reasons for the shortages

Supermarket rationing – latest: Brexit worsens UK food shortages, farming group claims​

The “disastrous” Conservative government and Brexit have worsened Britain’s food shortages, a farming group has said. It comes as UK supermarkets have started rationing selected fruit and vegetables as supply issues leave shelves empty across the country.

In a video shared this morning, Save British Farming chair Liz Webster said: “The reason that we have food shortages in Britain, and that we don’t have food shortages in Spain – or anywhere else in the European Union – is because of Brexit, and also because of this disastrous Conservative government that has no interest in food production, farming or even food supply.”

Former Sainsbury’s CEO Justin King also pinned the blame on the UK’s departure from the EU. “I hate to say it, but it’s a sector that’s been hurt horribly by Brexit,” ” he told LBC.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ood-shortages-rationing-uk-asda-b2287153.html

Supermarkets' rationing of fruit and veg 'could last for weeks' - but shelves in Europe are ‘heaving’ with fresh produce​

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/supermarkets-ration-fruit-veg-brexit-british-farmers-energy-costs/

All I know is that I got three peppers and an Orange yesterday for my Chicken Basque tomorrow night :thumbsup:

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Supermarket rationing – latest: Brexit worsens UK food shortages, farming group claims​

The “disastrous” Conservative government and Brexit have worsened Britain’s food shortages, a farming group has said. It comes as UK supermarkets have started rationing selected fruit and vegetables as supply issues leave shelves empty across the country.

In a video shared this morning, Save British Farming chair Liz Webster said: “The reason that we have food shortages in Britain, and that we don’t have food shortages in Spain – or anywhere else in the European Union – is because of Brexit, and also because of this disastrous Conservative government that has no interest in food production, farming or even food supply.”

Former Sainsbury’s CEO Justin King also pinned the blame on the UK’s departure from the EU. “I hate to say it, but it’s a sector that’s been hurt horribly by Brexit,” ” he told LBC.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ood-shortages-rationing-uk-asda-b2287153.html

Supermarkets' rationing of fruit and veg 'could last for weeks' - but shelves in Europe are ‘heaving’ with fresh produce​

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/supermarkets-ration-fruit-veg-brexit-british-farmers-energy-costs/

All I know is that I got three peppers and an Orange yesterday for my Chicken Basque tomorrow night :thumbsup:
Don't worry I've heard supplies from Dalesford Organics to Tory ministers are still plentiful.

Its not a true delivery of Brexit until the masses return to turnip soup

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The first step is for politicians to admit there are problems caused by Brexit.

To come clean. Until this happens there will be no plan to fix the issues.

We have a long, long way to go.

Nothing has any chance of changing until we have a new Government.
Certain politicians are admitting that, including Gove. That said, they're not stating it, but there are behind-the-scenes manoeuvrings:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Anyone listen to PMQT today? Sunak has a new strategy.

Whe the leader of the opposition asks an awkward question, Sunak evades, but politely. After Starmer has delivered his final question allowed, Sunak then comes out with outrageous slurs knowing Starmer can't respond.

Today after Starmer's final question, Sunak let rip, saying Starmer's policy is 'unlimited immigration', massive unfunded pay rises for the private sector, etc., then 'the right to change his mind over all of the above'. It was a disgraceful bit of gaslighting. The twat.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Anyone listen to PMQT today? Sunak has a new strategy.

Whe the leader of the opposition asks an awkward question, Sunak evades, but politely. After Starmer has delivered his final question allowed, Sunak then comes out with outrageous slurs knowing Starmer can't respond.

Today after Starmer's final question, Sunak let rip, saying Starmer's policy is 'unlimited immigration', massive unfunded pay rises for the private sector, etc., then 'the right to change his mind over all of the above'. It was a disgraceful bit of gaslighting. The twat.
At least Sunak did not do the desperate " But HE sat next to Corbyn for 4 years !" Gambit.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm waiting for him to use the even more desperate 'but they're all the same' excuse that his supporters that are too shy to 'come out' use on here all the time :wink:
I'm an old man now but for most of my life I thought that politics were superceded by a moral code of honour and decency. The last 5 years or so have shown how utterly corrupt the Tory Party have become.

Game players on a massive scale, liars, charlatans and idiots whose only purpose is to cling on to power for the sake of it. Sunak is the end product of this, clinging on to the wheel of the Titanic UK and denying there was an Iceberg and hanging on in the hope that something turns up to rescue him and his party. Pathetic !

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Has anybody seen any empty fruit and veg shelves in France / Germany / Spain? No. I thought not.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

If only we had a political party that would pursue radical policies like this. It's depressing how unambitious labour are.

If anything it's another line of attack against the Tories because they  are in power and could pursue policies like this.

It's a touch unfair on Labour to put the boot in about something they currently have no ability to do anything about.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

If only we had a political party that would pursue radical policies like this. It's depressing how unambitious labour are.

Hate to break it to you, but the Tories have had 12 housing ministers in 13 years and 6 in the past year alone. Little surprise there is no plan and no strategy.

To blame Labour over a year out from an election is a bit rich.

Reactions: abc

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If anything it's another line of attack against the Tories because they  are in power and could pursue policies like this.

It's a touch unfair on Labour to put the boot in about something they currently have no ability to do anything about.
well Conservatives would be ideologically opposed to imposition on property rights, where as Labour is less encumbered.

what we need to do is build, not fudge around with unoccupied homes which are mostly where people dont want to live. for several elections both parties promise more housing then fail in face of NIMBY opposition to deliver anything. see also solving energy by allowing new generation and infrastructure, fixing water by allowing new reservoirs and treatment plants.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
well Conservatives would be ideologically opposed to imposition on property rights, where as Labour is less encumbered.

what we need to do is build, not fudge around with unoccupied homes which are mostly where people dont want to live. for several elections both parties promise more housing then fail in face of NIMBY opposition to deliver anything. see also solving energy by allowing new generation and infrastructure, fixing water by allowing new reservoirs and treatment plants.
Many unoccupied homes are holiday homes, Air BnB, student housing only occupied for half a year, or just left empty in a standoff with planning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here