Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
A claim that Raab flatly denied on Newsnight straight afterwards.

Who to believe?

Its beautiful to watch, they clearly don't like each other. The fact of the matter is they all put their names to the book and showed their true colour.

Beggars believe anyone in the red wall really thinks the Tories are on their side.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Roll on Truss, they will get destroyed in the next election.

Rishi could have won an election in my view, given he isn’t a complete idiot - doesn’t mean I agree with his policies.

Starmer will be pleased how things went last night, Sunak is very smart and would be a formidable opponent.

Last night did OK but failed to delivery a knockout blow to Truss required.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The trouble is I fear she could make things an awful lot worse before any election happens.

I don’t think I have ever known anything that has had the ability to be quite so hilarious and so frightening at the same time. I really worry about what the next 2 years could bring.

Her main quality is that she is not Boris Johnson.

Things are already getting very bad. With Johnson at the helm for another two years, we’d be facing many disasters. Perhaps, we won’t be facing as many problems with Truss (or Sunak).

From an opposition perspective, Johnson has already lost his party the election in 2025. Truss will lose the Tories the election in 2030 and possibly 2035 by her astonishing incompetence and even worse public image, especially if Labour bring in a preferential voting system.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Truss upto ~90% implied probability of winning.

Oh well, she surely won't be worse than Big Dog, and should provide plenty of comical moments in-between some potentially very difficult times too, so every cloud.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Liz Truss is like one of those disturbed Victorian children who gets sent away to live with their Aunty in the countryside where they can do no harm . Except she hasn't been sent away, she's going to be put in charge of Britain :nono:

Indeed, and she'll be the puppet for the ERG...and other nasties I'd rather not think about over breakfast

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Truss upto ~90% implied probability of winning.

Oh well, she surely won't be worse than Big Dog, and should provide plenty of comical moments in-between some potentially very difficult times too, so every cloud.
I've got her marked down as being in the pocket of the extremist wing of the Tory party. She doesn't strike me as very intelligent and her position is very much for sale.

If she is any better, it will be because she isn't corrupt or immoral on an industrial scale, unlike her predecessor. Competence though? I'm really not sure about that.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Things are already getting very bad. With Johnson at the helm for another two years, we’d be facing many disasters. Perhaps, we won’t be facing as many problems with Truss (or Sunak).

From an opposition perspective, Johnson has already lost his party the election in 2025. Truss will lose the Tories the election in 2030 and possibly 2035 by her astonishing incompetence and even worse public image, especially if Labour bring in a preferential voting system.

Whoever wins, economically it's more of the same with a plunging economy and spiralling cost of living which isn't going to change and I think will see them out by the time of the next election as the country will be suffering really badly.

A Lab/Lib coalition then being most likely, avoiding the SNP independence thing, although if Libs are still backing the EU, they can take responsibility for insisting on rejoining the Customs Union as part of the coalition.

I think this current shitshow is now about how long the Conservatives will be out of power.

Disclaimer - never underestimate the stupidity of the British Electorate :wink:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I don't know much about Truss (or politics, for that matter), but given that she's ex-Lib Dem and ex-'Remain', does the fact that she's now seemingly in the pocket of the ERG and has said she'll happily ship off immigrants to any far-flung land that will take them, mean that she's shifted her beliefs further than any other politician before her? Or is she just merely following the 'in' crowd when it suits her?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

I'd be very wary of a Truss Premiership, even if Liz is greeted as a joke candidate who is thought to be easier to beat. Be careful what you wish for, recent history has shown us what damage completely incapable and unsuitable leaders can do to their countries.

Truss could do a lot of damage in two years. Sunak would just be a typical Tory snake oil salesman who'll keep looking after his rich mates at the expense of the rest of us, whilst punching down on the nearest available scapegoat be they refugees or transpeople.

Starmer, if he had any backbone and genuinely transformative programme, should be able to beat either in a general election, I think I'd rather Sunak snuck this contest. Rishi would be terrible but in the more conventional sense rather than the Truss wildcard.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I don't know much about Truss (or politics, for that matter), but given that she's ex-Lib Dem and ex-'Remain', does the fact that she's now seemingly in the pocket of the ERG and has said she'll happily ship off immigrants to any far-flung land that will take them, mean that she's shifted her beliefs further than any other politician before her? Or is she just merely following the 'in' crowd when it suits her?

How dare you say that. Liz Truss has principles.

And if you don't like them, she has others...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Whoever wins, economically it's more of the same with a plunging economy and spiralling cost of living which isn't going to change and I think will see them out by the time of the next election as the country will be suffering really badly.

A Lab/Lib coalition then being most likely, avoiding the SNP independence thing, although if Libs are still backing the EU, they can take responsibility for insisting on rejoining the Customs Union as part of the coalition.

I think this current shitshow is now about how long the Conservatives will be out of power.

Disclaimer - never underestimate the stupidity of the British Electorate :wink:

You final line is crucial, the public are incredibly fickle and easily led, especially when millions are feeling desperate

Polls can shift quickly, with fixed term parliament gone, Voter ID, hostile non dom press and other shenanigans Labour have many headwinds

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Does anyones else's heart just sink and have a feeling of utter despair every time the show a picture of Rishi Sunak and Liz Truss and say "our next prime minister"

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Can't get my head around the fact it will be Truss, who will be a puppet for the right of the party, but who will give away money like sweeties and rack up a huge debt - about as Labour cliched as you can get. Still, whatever gets you power, love.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Can't get my head around the fact it will be Truss, who will be a puppet for the right of the party, but who will give away money like sweeties and rack up a huge debt - about as Labour cliched as you can get. Still, whatever gets you power, love.

And the irony is people will still be out telling people "Labour can't be trusted with the economy" next election, and some morons will actually believe that.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Aah, the reliable old 'moron' voters again.

I didn't say all voters were morons. I said people who fall for a quite clear and obvious lie despite the evidence in front of their faces are morons.

Which, to be fair, they would be. In the same way as climate change deniers are morons, anti-vaxxers are morons, people who think the earth is flat are morons...

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I've got her marked down as being in the pocket of the extremist wing of the Tory party. She doesn't strike me as very intelligent and her position is very much for sale.

If she is any better, it will be because she isn't corrupt or immoral on an industrial scale, unlike her predecessor. Competence though? I'm really not sure about that.

Sadly, spot on I reckon

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here