Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I emailed my MP, Sir John Redwood about it this morning and got some cut and past drivel as a response. I know it was a cut and past, because it answered none of my questions.

Does not change my opion of him anyway as I always thought he was a **nt.
Never gets old...

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
"Next question - Laura"

"Prime Minister can I swap my secret santa person please I had your wife last year, shit I thought this was a private call"

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Therein lies the problem.

I can't blame you for your thoughts & feelings on politics & politicians, but if you don't engage with it at all (by which I read don't vote), then your opinion means nothing and you won't be helping at all to change things. I accept that the average person on their own can do very little individually, but even if you go to a voting booth and spoil your ballot paper, it at least registers your disgust at the status quo.

If politics (at every level - my parish council is a shambles!) is just left to the same people because everyone else shrugs and walks away, things will NEVER change. They are the ones that have allowed it to become so sh|t in the first place!

Therein lies another problem. People on football forums who make assumptions based on a post prompted by the news of the day.:D I have voted at every local and national election since I turned 18. The politicians subsequently in power then move on to do whatever they want. Since Blair at the least, accountability doesn't happen any more until another election. Actualy, more likely for much longer than that. As to local politics, at least I attended the meeting with one other soul from the general public, rather than just walk away. And I spoke passionately for about 15 minutes about the matter in hand. The silences following each point as I made them were deafening and suffocating any debate. Fair to say I'm feeling politically jaded.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
Honestly, who cares whether they had a party or not and lied about it or not. They are politicians. They all lie and obfuscate. As Tony Blair said about expenses fiddles 'they all do it'. Having attended a local council meeting this week, I am convinced that politics from top to bottom is not worth bothering about or engaging with. We will all be trampled underfoot by them whatever colours they currently wear.

Yes, sadly correct in respect to your last sentence in particular.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Honestly, who cares whether they had a party or not and lied about it or not. They are politicians. They all lie and obfuscate. As Tony Blair said about expenses fiddles 'they all do it'. Having attended a local council meeting this week, I am convinced that politics from top to bottom is not worth bothering about or engaging with. We will all be trampled underfoot by them whatever colours they currently wear.

Maybe... but that is entirely defeatist and a path to autocracy. The tories want you to believe all politicians are the same. It's practically all they have now..... it's another lie of course.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Unsurprisingly, I disagree with almost everything you've said there. Saying "they all do it" is a fine excuse to never hold anyone account for their behaviour. On a personal level, I know if I did something wrong at school, I'm certain that "all my mates do it" wouldn't have washed with my parents. Whoever they may be, Dad!

You're quite right. That was my point.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Here's the email I sent today to Mims Davies, my local MP; I expect a standard 'cut and paste' response.....

Dear Mims Davies

I thank you for your replies to previous emails and have passed them on to fellow constituents who expressed scepticism about your unfailing and abiding loyalty to the government on every topic throughout your voting history.

Please will you now comment on the December 18th event; in your opinion was this a party or a business meeting? In either case was it ethically acceptable?

We await your considered opinion in your own voice......

Thank you

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I sincerely doubt it.

Fun Fact 1:
James Forsyth is the Political Editor of The Spectator.

Fun Fact 2:
He's been married to Allegra Stratton since 2011.

Fun fact 3:
Rishi Sunak was Forsyth's best man at his wedding to Stratton and the Sunaks and the Forsyth/Strattons are god parents to each others children. Stratton was previously Sunak's Director of Strategic Communications.

So we'll expect Allegra to return when Rishi becomes PM.

I hope she enjoys her month off.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I have emailed my (Conservative MP) today, expressing the views I made in my post about my father's funeral on this thread last night. Boris Johnson is furious? Well frankly, I'm ****ing livid.

Of course, I have kept it straight forward and professional, and signed off with this:

Boris Johnson no longer has any moral authority to lead. Come the next election, if he is still PM, I will be doing all I can to support the party best placed to return an alternative MP for Saffron Walden to Westminster.

This moral vacuum at the heart of government cannot be allowed to continue and I would urge you to reflect on whether you truly believe Boris Johnson has the character and moral authority to continuing leading this government. It is clearly apparent that his staff have no respect for either his leadership or his authority so why on earth should the electorate?

I have never e-mailed an MP before but I just sent something similar to what you have just sent. Tim Loughton received an e-mail from me asking him to take a long hard look at himself and what is happening to the country.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Therein lies another problem. People on football forums who make assumptions based on a post prompted by the news of the day.:D I have voted at every local and national election since I turned 18. The politicians subsequently in power then move on to do whatever they want. Since Blair at the least, accountability doesn't happen any more until another election. Actualy, more likely for much longer than that. As to local politics, at least I attended the meeting with one other soul from the general public, rather than just walk away. And I spoke passionately for about 15 minutes about the matter in hand. The silences following each point as I made them were deafening and suffocating any debate. Fair to say I'm feeling politically jaded.

Good to hear what you've done in the past - you'll have to forgive my assumption that this

I am convinced that politics from top to bottom is not worth bothering about or engaging with.

meant you weren't intending to vote

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Tory meltdown incoming...

Here's the email I sent today to Mims Davies, my local MP; I expect a standard 'cut and paste' response.....

Dear Mims Davies

I thank you for your replies to previous emails and have passed them on to fellow constituents who expressed scepticism about your unfailing and abiding loyalty to the government on every topic throughout your voting history.

Please will you now comment on the December 18th event; in your opinion was this a party or a business meeting? In either case was it ethically acceptable?

We await your considered opinion in your own voice......

Thank you

Good email that hope she has the balls to reply, may I ask who the ‘we’ is? Do represent other constituents and if so in what capacity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Do you really believe they are ALL as bad as each other? I mean, I can see why the last 3 PMs who attended Oxford might have a sense of entitlement, particularly the 2 Bullingdon Boys, but Corbyn - for all his faults - seemed to be in it for the right reasons, while Starmer would be making a shit load more money if he were able to pursue a full-time legal career.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Do you really believe they are ALL as bad as each other? I mean, I can see why the last 3 PMs who attended Oxford might have a sense of entitlement, particularly the 2 Bullingdon Boys, but Corbyn - for all his faults - seemed to be in it for the right reasons, while Starmer would be making a shit load more money if he were able to pursue a full-time legal career.

This. It’s so lazy to proclaim it would be the same under any party. Absolutely, clearly, unequivocally, it would not.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I'll be writing to Sir Peter Bottomley MP

My wife couldn't attend her grandfathers funeral. Boris and his chums can go **** themselves and I hope the Tories stab him in the back

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here