Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Considering the initial scandal had basically nothing to do with her, she seems hell bent on placing herself at the heart of it (and not in a good way)

Her political instincts are terrible
I'm less sure.

I think she wants the sack. I think she knows that the post office scandal will be yesterdays chip paper in 6 months time.

What she doesn't want is association with the calamitous tory defeat she knows is coming. She wants to be able to be able to plausibly say that Sunak botched the campaign and she can do better

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
They're even paranoid about skimmed milk! :lolol:

He really gets stuck into the big political issues of the day, doesn't he?

Yet another example of someone who claims his party is 'bringing everyone together' and yet he couldn't be more divisive about... milk?! Berk.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
The left does have its own media, but it's never had the money behind that the equivalent right media has had and therefore lacks traction.

Having said that, there's certain authors who appear on the Guardian that I avoid; those who I would bundle up as being the left-sided versions of some of the right-sided dog whistlers. Not keen on Owen Jones, for example.

Personally don't think the "fully out" hate media (Daily Mail / GB News) are the main problem here. They are the obvious manifestation. Where the problem lies is in the full media empires owned by the likes of Murdoch, where they have at least one "wolf in sheeps clothing" title that mostly pretends to be a sanely centre-right publication but drops the occasional "let's go a bit further right..." story. With a little manipulation and prodding a centre-right reader can eventually become a sometimes Daily Mail reader and GB News watcher.

Ideally, we should all be consuming a little media from both sides but avoiding the more extreme publications. But also ideally, ownership would be diversified so that there is genuine diversification of views for us to read.

This is the crux of it. Politicians and media moguls (especially on the right) are already adept now at manipulation via social media. And SM providers provide the tools to do it. With the right segmentation and marketing people, it's very easy to set up targeted campaigns on SM that target "soft right" voters with messaging designed to drag them to "firm right". From there, you then subtly retarget them to continue that drag to the right. It doesn't happen overnight, it takes a while ... but we know these hard right scumbags (both internally and foreign meddling) have been at it for *years* and because it benefits the Conservative government they've done nothing to deal with the problem.
Well, the Reform Party isn’t benefitting the Conservative Government. Witness the recent by election results!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
And herein lies the problem. Capital will take whatever steps are required to keep it dominant. Therefore it will happily fund pro-Capital news outlets, and not news outlets that might be considered anti-capital or even ambivalent news sources.

The “choice” that we have among our news outlets is largely between organizations competing for the same ad money, so bending over backward to amplify the advertiser’s POV.

Any news source that routinely offers views that would make life better for the general population over business’s interests will soon find their advertising spend diminished to non-existent and will therefore go bust.

This is why there is so much hatred directed at the BBC by Murdoch rags and the Telegraph. They have a different funding model and can afford to tell the truth without bowing to advertisers wishes.

A deeply depressing state of affairs, thank god for the BBC. I wouldn’t mind a few more decent news sources on the left though, I find the Guardian depressingly smug, though worth the price of admission for Marina Hyde alone, and largely the only British daily paper to do any real investigative journalism.
The Sunday Times and the Times have been pretty keen on investigative journalism for quite a number of years.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I don’t know, but what I do know is that if I ever pop into yours for a cuppa I’d better bring my own milk. Full Fat makes me heave!😁
You'd better not wear your faux leather sandals, ya commie bastard!

FWIW, tea makes me heave whatever the milk.
As a black coffee drinker, milk is pretty much only there for a splash in mash potato (double cream if we have it) or for cereal for the kids. Am I bringing them up Tory?

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
A deeply depressing state of affairs, thank god for the BBC. I wouldn’t mind a few more decent news sources on the left though, I find the Guardian depressingly smug, though worth the price of admission for Marina Hyde and John Crace alone, and largely the only British daily paper to do any real investigative journalism.
Corrected for you :)

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
The Sunday Times and the Times have been pretty keen on investigative journalism for quite a number of years.
They do some, it’s true, but I would put them behind the Guardian and the FT for meaningful investigative journalism.

Private Eye remains our greatest national treasure I would say, for their willingness to keep banging the drum for causes that other periodicals don’t.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

As a black coffee drinker, milk is pretty much only there for a splash in mash potato (double cream if we have it) or for cereal for the kids. Am I bringing them up Tory?
No, but mash for breakfast is a weird choice.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Haha, I never drink any type of milk on its own, but I do like skimmed or semi in my tea or coffee which have to be strong. My wife drinks black coffee.
No faux leather sandals here. The real thing or barefoot unless I’m going out to buy my copy of the Morning Star.😁
Don’t worry about the kids as long as you bring them up to be Albion supporters 👍

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here