Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The fact Rishi feels he needs to call a minister back says to me is that he can't be certain he has the numbers to be able to pass the Rwanda bill today.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Whatever happens this lot are going to hang around as long as possible just like 1997
Don't reckon another leadership contest would do their prospects any good at all. There's only so many times they can rearrange the deckchairs. The country must be heartily sick of us acting like a banana republic shirley?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Given this is a free vote, with so many Tory MPs wavering on this Rwanda bill you wonder whether this terrible snub to our commitment to climate change might cause one MP - perhaps more - to change their mind and vote against Rishi.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I thought there was a mechanism to allow vote swapping or similar?

Certainly should be if not, or a way to vote without missing out on more important issues.
I thought Rishi said it would be a free vote and the MPs would not be whipped, therefore no pairing?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Reading some of the comments I saw this tweet from Pippa Crerar, seems its because its a three-line whip; what an absolute pathetic state of affairs.

Yup. Pairing is the name of the voting mechanism where someone drops out so if that is cancelled then yes, he would be coming back for the vote. Oh and I agree, it is pathetic.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
A reader asks:

The government is recalling a minister from the climate summit. Why can’t they ask the opposition for a pairing? Given the importance of Cop28 to the UK, Labour might have agreed to this ... or is this more performative from the Conservatives?
The government and opposition do agree to pair MPs, and I’m sure they have done that today. But if the opposition have only got, say, 14 MPs who can’t make the vote because they are ill/away or whatever, that is all they will offer the government – even if the government wants more pairs. And the government normally has more people away because there 100-odd MPs who are in government and might be away on government business.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Back in the Commons Sir Bill Cash, who led the European Research Group’s “star chamber” panel of legal experts who published a report on the Rwanda bill, is speaking now.

He says if parliament passes a law, the courts should apply it, whether it breaks international law or not.

He praises Robert Jenrick for his speech. And he says that he thinks the bill can be improved.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here