Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
There was growing anger on Saturday night over the government’s “love only for the rich” plans that would force thousands of British families to choose whether to split or go into exile.

James Cleverly, the home secretary, announced last week that a British citizen who wants to sponsor their foreign spouse to live with them in the UK will need to earn at least £38,700 a year to qualify for a family visa application.

The changes are expected to cut the number of family visas by about 10,000, according to reports of government briefings, adding to the thousands of “Skype families” who have already been separated by the previous rules where the British partner needed to earn an £18,600 salary.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
There was growing anger on Saturday night over the government’s “love only for the rich” plans that would force thousands of British families to choose whether to split or go into exile.

James Cleverly, the home secretary, announced last week that a British citizen who wants to sponsor their foreign spouse to live with them in the UK will need to earn at least £38,700 a year to qualify for a family visa application.

The changes are expected to cut the number of family visas by about 10,000, according to reports of government briefings, adding to the thousands of “Skype families” who have already been separated by the previous rules where the British partner needed to earn an £18,600 salary.
Be great to see the British public taking up all the jobs in hospitality, cleaning, etc etc that this will create.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Be great to see the British public taking up all the jobs in hospitality, cleaning, etc etc that this will create.
The British sick, not the healthy public don’t forget. The only cohort of people in this country who aren’t already working.

It’s wonderful what they can do with technology these days, they’ve clearly found a way for the sick to care for the sick, and pick fruit, and clean hotel rooms, all from the comfort of their own home. Incredible.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The British sick, not the healthy public don’t forget. The only cohort of people in this country who aren’t already working.
If increasing the number of ‘British Sick’ was an election promise by the Conservative Party, they would have well and truly smashed it out the park.

IMG_3875.png

*This table from the national office of statistics shows the breakdown of the ‘long term sick’ category of unemployed people in the UK.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
If increasing the number of ‘British Sick’ was an election promise by the Conservative Party, they would have well and truly smashed it out the park.

View attachment 171021
*This table from the national office of statistics shows the breakdown of the ‘long term sick’ category of unemployed people in the UK.

Yup. When the NHS stops working, people who would otherwise get treated and return to work stay sick, making them poorer and reducing the work capable population.

The Conservative plan to get our untreated ill doing hard physical labour from home is brilliant, and absolutely bound to work.

:shootself

Last edited:

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Our society is in such a broken state it is inevitable that the Tories will lose the election. That is not the same as Labour winning it. If there was ever a time when the country needs to be given hope, leadership, inspiration and belief that real change is possible, it is now.
Just ‘not being the tories’ is not enough (though it’s a good start to be fair). I desperately want Labour to show us all that they have policies, plans, the energy and drive to deliver real change. The best chance of our society being repaired and divisions closed is having a new government that people believe in. Keeping quiet on policy will put labour in government but we need much more.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
You take my point about elections where there can be only one 'winner' (like Mayor or, in our system, the local MP) though, right?
I'm not suggesting they should hack apart the candidates and splice them together in proportion to the votes received, if that's what you're getting at.
But to claim that First Past The Post is the only option when we've used a perfectly functional Supplemantary Vote system in all mayoral elections for years is not a sustainable position.
A good portion of the problems in our politics (and America's) can be traced to candidates being more incentivised to appeal to their existing voters to go out and vote rather than trying to persuade anybody else. Nothing that encourages that tendancy can be a good thing.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Our society is in such a broken state it is inevitable that the Tories will lose the election. That is not the same as Labour winning it. If there was ever a time when the country needs to be given hope, leadership, inspiration and belief that real change is possible, it is now.
Just ‘not being the tories’ is not enough (though it’s a good start to be fair). I desperately want Labour to show us all that they have policies, plans, the energy and drive to deliver real change. The best chance of our society being repaired and divisions closed is having a new government that people believe in. Keeping quiet on policy will put labour in government but we need much more.

It was inevitable “Remain” would win.

Don’t write the Tory’s off yet. There’s a lot of Daily Mail reading Gammony Thickets out there.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
It was inevitable “Remain” would win.

Don’t write the Tory’s off yet. There’s a lot of Daily Mail reading Gammony Thickets out there.

I really can’t see the tories coming back from where there are but your remain point is well made. I still wish labour would come out with reasons to vote for them apart from the desire/need for a change of gov.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
We need PR voting system, for many different reasons, 1 being the Tories will never get back in, they only got in last time as there is not (mainly) enough right wing alternative. On the left of centre there is Labour, Lib Dem, SNP and Green. But more importantly, we must learn from Covid, and our current archaic voting system enabled an ideologically driven government who put the pursuit of ideology ahead of people's lives. We cannot allow this to happen again

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
We need PR voting system, for many different reasons, 1 being the Tories will never get back in, they only got in last time as there is not (mainly) enough right wing alternative. On the left of centre there is Labour, Lib Dem, SNP and Green. But more importantly, we must learn from Covid, and our current archaic voting system enabled an ideologically driven government who put the pursuit of ideology ahead of people's lives. We cannot allow this to happen again

We must never allow a government like this to take power again.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
I mean. We shouldn’t allow this lot to go on. They should be slung out of Parliament by bailiffs.
So should John Penrose, Tory Anti Corruption Champion at the height of the covid pandemic, and of course married to Dido Harding during the PPE and Test & Trace scandals, now lose his seat at the next election, he would be entitled to double severance pay and more taxpayers money to help him find a new job.

Marvellous.

But some people don't like them being called Tory c****

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm not suggesting they should hack apart the candidates and splice them together in proportion to the votes received, if that's what you're getting at.
But to claim that First Past The Post is the only option when we've used a perfectly functional Supplemantary Vote system in all mayoral elections for years is not a sustainable position.
A good portion of the problems in our politics (and America's) can be traced to candidates being more incentivised to appeal to their existing voters to go out and vote rather than trying to persuade anybody else. Nothing that encourages that tendancy can be a good thing.
Fair points. As long we don't have a system where the people who are elected are not on the ballot, or are people who are not the ones with the most first preference votes, I don't really mind what system we have. I really don't want a system where the candidate who comes second is the one who goes to parliament, or a system where if 20% of the country votes for a party then that party is given 20% of the seats.

Or a system that is 'more fair' than FPTP but which a dimbot like me doesn't understand.

Which means, by and large, I prefer FPTP.

And which is why, until turkeys start voting for Christmas, we won't change our system (very much - not enough for the liberals to return to their constituencies and prepare for power, anyway) :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here