Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Kinnocks speech 1983
Still quite relevant today.

June 1983 , Glamorgan, Wales

If Margaret Thatcher is re-elected as prime minister on Thursday, I warn you.

I warn you that you will have pain–when healing and relief depend upon payment.

I warn you that you will have ignorance–when talents are untended and wits are wasted, when learning is a privilege and not a right.

I warn you that you will have poverty–when pensions slip and benefits are whittled away by a government that won’t pay in an economy that can’t pay.

I warn you that you will be cold–when fuel charges are used as a tax system that the rich don’t notice and the poor can’t afford.

I warn you that you must not expect work–when many cannot spend, more will not be able to earn. When they don’t earn, they don’t spend. When they don’t spend, work dies.

I warn you not to go into the streets alone after dark or into the streets in large crowds of protest in the light.

I warn you that you will be quiet–when the curfew of fear and the gibbet of unemployment make you obedient.

I warn you that you will have defence of a sort–with a risk and at a price that passes all understanding.

I warn you that you will be home-bound–when fares and transport bills kill leisure and lock you up.

I warn you that you will borrow less–when credit, loans, mortgages and easy payments are refused to people on your melting income.

If Margaret Thatcher wins on Thursday–

– I warn you not to be ordinary

– I warn you not to be young

– I warn you not to fall ill

– I warn you not to get old.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Kinnocks speech 1983
Still quite relevant today.

June 1983 , Glamorgan, Wales

If Margaret Thatcher is re-elected as prime minister on Thursday, I warn you.

I warn you that you will have pain–when healing and relief depend upon payment.

I warn you that you will have ignorance–when talents are untended and wits are wasted, when learning is a privilege and not a right.

I warn you that you will have poverty–when pensions slip and benefits are whittled away by a government that won’t pay in an economy that can’t pay.

I warn you that you will be cold–when fuel charges are used as a tax system that the rich don’t notice and the poor can’t afford.

I warn you that you must not expect work–when many cannot spend, more will not be able to earn. When they don’t earn, they don’t spend. When they don’t spend, work dies.

I warn you not to go into the streets alone after dark or into the streets in large crowds of protest in the light.

I warn you that you will be quiet–when the curfew of fear and the gibbet of unemployment make you obedient.

I warn you that you will have defence of a sort–with a risk and at a price that passes all understanding.

I warn you that you will be home-bound–when fares and transport bills kill leisure and lock you up.

I warn you that you will borrow less–when credit, loans, mortgages and easy payments are refused to people on your melting income.

If Margaret Thatcher wins on Thursday–

– I warn you not to be ordinary

– I warn you not to be young

– I warn you not to fall ill

– I warn you not to get old.
I have a soft spot for old man Kinnock, but that is typical of the Welsh Windbag.
Had a good chat and a few beers with Kinnock Junior many years in a West End pub. Happy days and no nastiness, just a good time.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
"ultimately there is a duty on citizens if they are able to go out to work they should. Those who can work and contribute should contribute.”

Sounds like the promise I made when a cub scout.

What "duty". Contribute to what?

Where is the nearest chain gang?

Jul 20, 2003
According to the lefty courts

You allowed to call one of them 'scum '

As long as its Iain Duncan Smith

In certain circumstances

Evidently

I would never do that.

Just reporting legal proceedings.

I'd never use 'scum' as a 4 letter word to describe him when other words are available.

Tory is enough.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
"ultimately there is a duty on citizens if they are able to go out to work they should. Those who can work and contribute should contribute.”

Sounds like the promise I made when a cub scout.

What "duty". Contribute to what?

Where is the nearest chain gang?
alternatively marry a Billionaire

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 14.01.13.png

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Only just caught up with this. Absolutely sickening - and they didn't even include the 'Abba party' (which was mysteriously left out of the Sue Gray report and which the Met still hasn't investigated).

How can anyone possibly vote for the Tories after watching this programme?

I really hope Channel 4 broadcasts it again just before the next election.

(although of course we should have already had an election - in any other era, partygate would have brought down the government).
I'm fairly sure that the election rules would preclude screening that 'just before' an election, sadly.

And besides, surely no Tory voters watch Channel 4, anyway.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
PV wrote down what he heard from DC about something that he was not in the room for

The whole thing is school yard name calling, summed up by this third hard story.

Do we not waste enough money in this country?
What do you consider to be a waste of money?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Only just caught up with this. Absolutely sickening - and they didn't even include the 'Abba party' (which was mysteriously left out of the Sue Gray report and which the Met still hasn't investigated).

How can anyone possibly vote for the Tories after watching this programme?

I really hope Channel 4 broadcasts it again just before the next election.

(although of course we should have already had an election - in any other era, partygate would have brought down the government).
Speaking of Channel 4, tonight will be Episode 2 of the "Great Climate Fight", exposes the Tories epic fail since 2015...

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
An inquiry that is not asking any real questions and will take years
Thanks for your input. Please will you comment on what you think the 'real questions' actually are? For me a picture is emerging of utter confusion and incompetence at the heart of government and a leadership indifferent to the demise of a lot of vulnerable fellow citizens. It may take a lot of time and money but exposing it will hopefully start the process of reconstructing our terminally broken political structures....and that is fundamental to all of us going forward.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

I do remember being at Hartlepool during our League One promotion season and after going 2-0 down the "wanna go home" chant being sung.

But from the Home Secretary, nothing like burning bridges in the red wall

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Thanks for your input. Please will you comment on what you think the 'real questions' actually are? For me a picture is emerging of utter confusion and incompetence at the heart of government and a leadership indifferent to the demise of a lot of vulnerable fellow citizens. It may take a lot of time and money but exposing it will hopefully start the process of reconstructing our terminally damaged political structures....
By confusion in the Government I am assuming you mean in Sage as well, as we have had three of the main players interviewed over the last few days who have answered the same questions differently in regards to what they thought should have happened and when.

We also had Whitty confirm he saw no reason to cancel Cheltenham etc.

Children's education and impact - how will it be made up
The State of the NHS and what needs fixing (its not just money) and how it will be done
Current death rate and should we have shut the NHS for everything other than Covid
The general health of Britain's
PPE Fraud
Debt levels and how will it be paid back and honesty on how it was spent/how much
What are we putting in place for future pandemics
Why out of date modelling was used (was confirmed) and why was worst case seen as the go to at the time (now admitted as an error)
Why did people get shipped off to care homes, what was the thinking and why did the experts not understand how care homes work in regards to staff, why was testing not in place.

As a start.

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
Speaking of Channel 4, tonight will be Episode 2 of the "Great Climate Fight", exposes the Tories epic fail since 2015...

It was an informative watch and shows the regressive thinking behind government policy - plenty of climate change denial and profit before environmental protection basically. I was trained in the late 1980 and early 1990s on designing sustainable architecture. 35 years on and we still aren't really implementing what are straight forward environmental measures in buildings. That is down to purely down government policy and their desire to change. We have the skills and technology to do it and there are great example of sustainable developments in the Uk but they are only implemented by passionate clients with a sustainable agenda, Sadly until we kick out this bunch of ignorant inward looking politicians it will keep getting kicked down the road.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Proper GASP from the lady behind him, of the kind I thought you only ever saw in period dramas.

Listening to the audio (I've recorded and slowed it down) you can definitely hear something like the word "shithole" (but it could equally be "shit on" but none of the alleged before.

And it doesn't on first hearing sound like Cleverly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here