Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Long time suspected the covid inquiry would kick them into the grass for a decade.

The total incompetence is finally coming to light albeit very slowly, and Rishi was the second most senior person in government throughout all of it.

Cabinet Secretary said Carrie Johnson was ‘the real person in charge’ during lockdown, texts reveal​

A series of WhatsApps between some of Boris Johnson’s top aides suggest the then prime minister was making decisions on Covid restrictions based solely on the wishes of his wife. In one heated message, Mr Case, who was appointed Cabinet Secretary in September 2020, wrote that Mrs Johnson was “the real person in charge” at No 10.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...arrie-johnson-real-person-in-charge-lockdown/

If only someone had pointed it out at the time .... Oh

That is definitely the case.

The one I remember hearing about at the time was one of the lockdowns. Apparently, after agreeing it, he left the office and went upstairs. It was leaked within the hour (by one of the cabinet) because they knew that by the next morning Carrie would have convinced him otherwise.

It was the one where they had to rush out a press conference at very short notice :facepalm:

It'll be when they get onto the various private contracts for PPE/Test & Trace/The illegal PPE fast track etc. That's when the shit will really hit the fan. Again there were plenty of references to it at the time but for some reason, nobody wanted to believe it :shrug:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It’s always the ones you most suspect

Won’t be long before we don’t need an election, just keep having by-elections and the Government will lose their majority naturally
Quite literally, they're down to the bare Bones...

• Haha
Reactions: A1X

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I have thought about this long and seriously, and I have come to the conclusion that Shaun and Bez would be better to govern Britain than the current Cabinet as no matter how shot to pieces they may be, they definitely have their hearts in the right place, which is one better than incompetent and corrupt.

FFS :facepalm:

Last edited:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Only just realised there are by-elections today. How are they expected to go?
Screenshot_20231019-165449~2.png

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Most recent poll I saw for mid-beds had tories winning on less votes than both Labour and Lib Dems. Good ol' first past the post.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
read Lib Dem complaining about Labour not stepping aside for one of them, between lines expecting the split vote to see Conservative win.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
If the Lib Dem and Green voters decided to vote Labour in Mid Beds the Tories would lose that one too, but it looks like the centre left parties are going to f*** it up.
Longer term, it will be interesting next year (?) if the reds and yellows can coordinate effectively to do this nationwide.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

In theory, both should be easy Tory holds - defending 20k and 25k majorities. Suspect the reality could be very different. One of them, unfortunately, is looking like a tight 3-way fight. Which might just let the Tory squeak in despite an awful lot more people voting to *not* have a Tory than for one. The other is expected to be a knife-edge two-way between Labour and Tory, but Labour need a big swing.

Suspect the 3-way could have us all talking about how rubbish FPTP is as a democratic system tomorrow...

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Longer term, it will be interesting next year (?) if the reds and yellows can coordinate effectively to do this nationwide.
Yes.

I'm a Lib Dem member, but I understand that if you're not a Tory, then getting them out of power is the only game in town, for now.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Yes.

I'm a Lib Dem member, but I understand that if you're not a Tory, then getting them out of power is the only game in town, for now.
For me, the Lib Dems need to learn from the last Aussie GE. Position themselves as the "integrity & pro-green" alternative for the forward-thinking voter on the right and target the seats likely to have that sort of demographic. "Teal Independents" did it so well in Aus, there's a blueprint to be followed. If that means leaving Labour an open goal in a lot of seats, then do it. But, IMO, there's a lot of votes for the Lib Dems to win targeting that centre-right pro-green demographic and could see them have a lot of success in seats that are generally no-go zones for Labour and the Greens.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here