tory leader backs falmer

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
just heard on southern fm , only caught the end though 'can you fill me in?'

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Dunno, but Michael Howard is a big football fan. One of the news reports last week showed him at Bournemouth's ground coaching ( I presume ) the Tory Conference team against the ' Press ' XI. He was getting quite animated, a bit like Michael Caine in ' Escape to Victory ' last night !

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I am voting Tory if this is the case unless Tony Blair backs it.

Mind you if he does we could do with a change.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I'd rather have Michael Howard giving John Prescott the proverbial ' kick up the arse ' regarding Falmer than Ivor Caplin ( who is too much of a Labour man to rock the boat ). At least Howard could make the deputy PM's life more awkward if Prescott made the ' wrong ' decision.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Sort of makes up for introducing the Criminal Injustice Bill

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I think regardless of this thread, Michael Howard is a top appointment and will give Labour some serious competition. Tony Blair needs to move aside.

I agree as well with Mr C in that he does things purley for votes and not for what he actually believes in!!!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Mr C said:
Tony Blair would only back Falmer if it won votes, not because he actually believed in it. Or anything for that matter :ohmy:

And Michael Howard believes in Falmer and hasn't said something about it only because Brighton is a key marginal seat? He only knows where Brighton is because he attended Tory conferences there......Ask him where Falmer is and he'd have to get a lacky to point it out to him.

Howard and his cronies are only interested in themselves and their toady friends in upper tax brackets-he doesn't give a flying f*** about B&HAFC, Falmer or Sussex unless he can gain a few votes.

Don't kid yourself that it's because he's concerned about the future of our football club.

I don't expect him to have a particular interest in BHAFC or Falmer, but I think his support has come from the fact that he's a football fan and therefore in that sense is "one of us".

I have seen many stadia get built in the last few years and I would support them all - simply because of what they are.

Last edited:

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Bwian said:

Howard and his cronies are only interested in themselves and their toady friends in upper tax brackets-he doesn't give a flying f*** about B&HAFC, Falmer or Sussex unless he can gain a few votes.

You think that Mr Blair or any politicians give a shit about anyone else apart from themselves or getting more power.

And MrC, Approving Falmer will win votes for Labour.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
It was a surprise to hear recently of Howards liking of football. Where was he in Thatchers government when that toe-rag Moynihan (what happened to him ?) was trying to introduce the ID Card and supporters were treated worse than animals.

If there is a band-wagon your politician will be on it.

Having said that I would welcome a statement of support from Michael Hecht, champion of the asylum seeker.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Mr C said:
I don't expect him to have a particular interest in BHAFC or Falmer, but I think his support has come from the fact that he's a football fan and therefore in that sense is "one of us".

I have seen many stadia get built in the last few years and I would support them all - simply because of what they are.

Strange though how you think his support comes from being a football fan and is 'one of us' rather than being a typical politician-a tory one at that-latching on to anything that makes him/her look like 'one of the people'. Whatever next from Mr Howard? Telling us that he's 'de-flowered' Anne Widdicombe to make him look like he's a bit of a lad?:ohmy:

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Mr C said:
Tony Blair would only back Falmer if it won votes, not because he actually believed in it. Or anything for that matter :ohmy:

That's not true, and you know it. He'd back it if "Dubya" said the artist's impression looked nice.

(prepares for flaming from Labour/pro-war supporters)

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Captain Sensible said:
You think that Mr Blair or any politicians give a shit about anyone else apart from themselves or getting more power.

And MrC, Approving Falmer will win votes for Labour.

That was my point exactly-just adding some balance to the Blair bashing.

They are all the same-regardless of party.

Bwian said:
Strange though how you think his support comes from being a football fan and is 'one of us' rather than being a typical politician-a tory one at that-latching on to anything that makes him/her look like 'one of the people'. Whatever next from Mr Howard? Telling us that he's 'de-flowered' Anne Widdicombe to make him look like he's a bit of a lad?:ohmy:
And just when I'm eating spam sandwiches :nono:

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Profile: Michael Howard

Mr Howard is seen as a Tory big hitter
Michael Howard is now the overwhelming favourite to replace Iain Duncan Smith. If he does become the next Tory leader it will mark the culmination of a remarkable political rebirth.
Four years ago, the former home secretary stepped down from the Conservative frontbench after 14 years in the spotlight, apparently leaving front line politics for good.

Two years later, with Iain Duncan Smith's election as party leader, Mr Howard, still regarded as one of the Tories' really big hitters, was dramatically brought back as shadow chancellor.

The right-winger's appointment came as a surprise to some observers, but few at Westminster doubt the Folkestone and Hythe MP's political abilities.

MICHAEL HOWARD
Born: 7 July 1941
Elected to Folkestone and Hythe in 1983
Appointed as a minister in 1985
Served as home secretary 1993-97
Failed in 1997 party leadership bid
Currently shadow chancellor
He is remembered as a tough and uncompromising home secretary whose clarion call was "prison works", a message which will no doubt go down well with the party grassroots.

A leadership challenge would mark a change of heart on his part. Last November he told BBC News Online: "I will never stand again for the leadership of the Conservative Party."

Asked if that meant he was ruling himself out completely, whatever the circumstances, he said: "That's right."

He did stand for the leadership in 1997 after John Major stepped down.

That bid was unsuccessful, in part, it was suggested, by the words of his former ministerial colleague, Ann Widdecombe, who said he had "something of the night about him".

The leadership contest also saw the famous encounter between Mr Howard and BBC Newsnight's Jeremy Paxman in which the presenter asked him the same question 14 times over the departure of prison service boss Derek Lewis during Mr Howard's time as home secretary.

Mr Howard was born into a Jewish family in south Wales in 1941.

His father Bernard had left Romania between the World War I and World War II, setting up a clothes shops in Llanelli and Carmarthen.

Mr Howard remains an observant Jew who attends a liberal synagogue on Jewish high holidays.

Football fan

He attended Llanelli Grammar School, where, in this hotbed of rugby union, he is said to have asked his headmaster if he and other sixth formers could play football instead.

He remains a keen football fan, sometimes offering his coaching skills to the MPs' football team and remaining an avid Liverpool fan.

There are other Merseyside connections - Mr Howard's first, unsuccessful attempts to enter parliament were in Liverpool Edge Hill in 1966 and 1972, while he is a big fan of the Beatles.

Indeed, he and former model wife Sandra - who have a son, daughter and a stepson from one of her three previous marriages - have named their cats Martha and Prudence after Beatles' songs.

Mr Howard left Wales for Cambridge University - a contemporary of Kenneth Clarke - enjoying a stint as president of the Union in 1962.

Rapid

First reading economics, he later switched to law, and was a member of the so-called "Cambridge mafia" which played a leading role in the Tory governments under Margaret Thatcher and John Major.

After graduating he spent a gap year in the US - developing a lifelong love of baseball and the Boston Red Sox - before being called to the Bar on his return to the UK.

He met his future wife at a Red Cross Ball. Discussing literature, she revealed she had not read one of his favourite books, F Scott Fitzgerald's Tender is the Night.

Mr Howard delivered a copy to her the next day.

After being called to the Bar, he rose to become a QC, but retained his political ambitions.

Mr Howard, who is also a keen follower of horse racing, entered Parliament at the third attempt, taking the seat of Folkestone and Hythe during Margaret Thatcher's landslide election victory in 1983.

His ministerial career got off to a rapid start. By 1985 he was a junior minister at the Department of Trade and Industry.

Tussles

He was promoted further once John Major took over from Baroness Thatcher in 1990, serving as employment and environment minister, before becoming home secretary in 1993.

During his time in the post Mr Howard introduced private prisons and tough mandatory sentences, and he oversaw a 15% fall in crime.

He also tussled with Tony Blair in the Commons for a brief period when Mr Blair was shadow home secretary.

Like many home secretaries of all shades, Mr Howard attracted criticism both from professional bodies and even his Tory predecessors.

Harried

His plans to remove the right to silence came in for strong criticism from judges.

His proposed reforms of the police force drew fire from former Tory Home Secretary Sir Willie Whitelaw who said they would politicise the police "to an unacceptable degree".

But his tough stance was appreciated by Tory activists, who enjoyed his uncompromising party conference appearances.

After the Tories lost power in 1997, and Mr Howard's unsuccessful bid to become party leader, William Hague handed him the post of shadow foreign secretary.

He was regarded as having performed well in the role, as he harried his then opposite number, Robin Cook.

When he stepped down it was believed he was quitting after realising his long-term party leadership hopes were over amid calls for new faces on the opposition frontbench.

So his re-appointment to the shadow cabinet in 2001 took observers by surprise, and heartened right-wing Eurosceptics in the party.

Loyal

Since his return, Mr Howard has been regarded as one of Mr Duncan Smith's most effective operators.

He won particular plaudits for his Commons performance earlier this year attacking the government's decision to delay a decision on joining the single European currency.

As Mr Howard savaged Chancellor Gordon Brown some Tories were asking themselves whether he really should be leading the party instead of Mr Duncan Smith.

But throughout the Tory leader's woes, Mr Howard has remained steadfastly loyal in his public pronouncements.

While the Westminster rumour mill went into overdrive some sought to claim there were differences between the two men over tax policy.

At the party conference earlier this month, Mr Howard distanced himself from the reports with a rallying cry behind his leader.

And on Tuesday he stood alongside Mr Duncan Smith as he signalled his determination to fight on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here