Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tory kill-joy council

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Im not taking the piss here but has anybody suggested dropping off a few of those mega wheelie bins on a sat morning and emptying them late sat night ready for sundays onslaught ?

The problem is, anything that is not bolted down....permenantly, would end up on the A23, rock garden pond or anywhere else the lovely little kids and pissed up yobs want to put them.

Also, some of the parties in preston park go on until the early hours and you just wouldn't get anyone to empty them at that time.

Anyway, I'd love to know how they're going to enforce this...It's not law that you can't bbq in a public space, paid for by tax payers

It's a byelaw and enforcable by a fixed penalty

Are you doing community service , jevs ?

It feels like it sometimes :(

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's a byelaw and enforcable by a fixed penalty

Since when?

I know certain stretches of the beach do not allow grilling and signs have been up for years regarding this. It is the first I've heard anything about the lawns and the neighbourhood certainly was not consulted on this.

Can't the tory dullards stick to scrapping park-n-ride schemes, raising the charges for a raft of back-line services (but also banging on about their low increase for council tax........the tories usually refer to this as stealth taxes :) ), stopping anything getting built in this city, parking in disabled bays or ruining the re-cycling?

Right, my moat needs dredging.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Since when?

I know certain stretches of the beach do not allow grilling and signs have been up for years regarding this. It is the first I've heard anything about the lawns and the neighbourhood certainly was not consulted on this.

Can't the tory dullards stick to scrapping park-n-ride schemes, raising the charges for a raft of back-line services (but also banging on about their low increase for council tax........the tories usually refer to this as stealth taxes :) ), stopping anything getting built in this city, parking in disabled bays or ruining the re-cycling?

Right, my moat needs dredging.
:laugh:

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I've been living by Hove Lawns for 3 years and there has always been signs up saying please dont BBQ on the lawns. They've recently put up signs saying don't BBQ on the beach. However the telling words on the signs is the word "please" . If you weren't allowed to do it would be "bbq prohibited". They'd just rather you didn't, but I don't think that is a new thing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've been living by Hove Lawns for 3 years and there has always been signs up saying please dont BBQ on the lawns. They've recently put up signs saying don't BBQ on the beach. However the telling words on the signs is the word "please" . If you weren't allowed to do it would be "bbq prohibited". They'd just rather you didn't, but I don't think that is a new thing.

The big signs at the end of each lawn are brand spanking new though. This is kind of backed up by the temporary nature of them....they're nothing more than signs on spikes driven into the ground. These have only gone up recently. If there have been signs in previous years they are not the same as the ones I refer to and were/are not as obvious.

The beach signs on the stretch in front of Marocco's have been up for at least 2 years as I feel foul of them when I had a leaving do on the beach and was asked to move my BBQ 'along a groin' to where it was permitted.

Regardless of this I still feel the Tory's are a bunch of kill-joys.

Also, what about the various rubbish the council allow on the lawns like the supposed French market (since when have Manchester United and Chelsea beach towels been french? And what part of France is Bilboa in eh?) If BBQs do damage this does as well.

Gggggggrrrrrrr.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Right, I'm off to the beach for an ice cream now...how long before this is frowned upon?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
The public park next to my work has recently erected a sign saying "No organised sports allowed." and to book an unbookable pitch on their neighbouring plastic lawns. Now, i can understand that people kicking a ball about can ruin the sunbathing of those who want to lounge, but they shouldn't be banning exercise in one of the few public spaces that are green and begging a match to be played upon. We still go over and play anyway, making sure we don't look organised at all. So it's jumpers for goalposts as ever with laid down bicycles parked behind to stop daisycutting whizzbangballs from not flying too far off. No one wears pads or boots as that might make us look prepared and with intent.
Every summer in this park i see a collection of tight-briefed bum-porkers spreading themselves almost naked during lunchtime, greased up to the max (not you Chapmans The Saveloy). I am never put off my humous-dip by this, so i say let people get on with their chosen habits as long as they are not seen to be illegal. That includes frisbee-throwing and people shit at football playing on a shit and uneven surface. And stinking places up with burnt, mashed tubes of snout and eyelid.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I cycled past there yesterday and someone was tucked away in the corner by the flats at the king alfred end with a bbq.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Should do what the aussies do. Provide proper public BBQ's on the beaches and in the parks. Most are free to use or a small charge. Be cheaper for the council in the long run as they would not have to keeo cleaning up and replacing the grass.

Attachments

• bbq2.jpg
    bbq2.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 65

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Some parks in the country do provide either barbeques or dedicated barbeque areas (usually a paved area with a proper BBQ bin), the problem with providing barbies is....who cleans them after use ? because i can guarantee that the moment someone gets the diabolical bum-squirts, the council will be sued for providing unhygenic cooking areas.

So give me some sensible, workable ideas where people can have BBQ's without having the litter, burnt grass and all the other hastle and i'll put any decent ideas to my managers.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
is it just banned on the gassed areas, or the beach as well?

one thing i canno understand is banning cycling on the prom, where there is PLENTY of room for all..

maybe a btter idea would be to have a designated BBQ area, with free/PAYG grills?

next they will be banning swimming, or walking about in just a bikini (ok, so it does chaff a bit..),

or making peoplePAY to go onto selected areas of the beach itself.. i might do that, but only if its been cleared of turds/ broken glass, noisy chavs etc..

Last edited:

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God

one thing i canno understand is banning cycling on the prom, where there is PLENTY of room for all..

QUOTE]

Was thinking about this with the other half recently. I think the point is that there are lots of beach huts with kids playing on the promenade and having lots of cyclists whizzing by wouldn't be a tad dangerous.

There also isn't really a sensible place for a cycle lane. You can't have it down the middle as there are buildings in the way and other side you are either too close to the beach or too close to the beach huts.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden

QUOTE]

Was thinking about this with the other half recently. I think the point is that there are lots of beach huts with kids playing on the promenade and having lots of cyclists whizzing by wouldn't be a tad dangerous.

There also isn't really a sensible place for a cycle lane. You can't have it down the middle as there are buildings in the way and other side you are either too close to the beach or too close to the beach huts.

It's illegal for anyone over the age of 16 to cycle on the pavement......and bloody good job too if you ask me, i'd ban the fuckers completely

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Some parks in the country do provide either barbeques or dedicated barbeque areas (usually a paved area with a proper BBQ bin), the problem with providing barbies is....who cleans them after use ? because i can guarantee that the moment someone gets the diabolical bum-squirts, the council will be sued for providing unhygenic cooking areas.

So give me some sensible, workable ideas where people can have BBQ's without having the litter, burnt grass and all the other hastle and i'll put any decent ideas to my managers.

Here is a sensible working idea: given people have been freely grilling on The Lawns for the past 6 years at least, and with no obvious and significant environmental impact, why not just let them carry on?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I may be speaking out of turn to some on here, but isn't there that war memorial in Brighton with signs around saying respect those who died and don't get anywhere near etc..

It's some kind of water feature.

Personally, if I was looking from the heavens, I'd be happy to see kids paddling in there and people sitting round enjoying their lunch break rather than the thing being closed off with fences.

I'll always associate "keep off the grass signs" with council busy bodies, grass was invented to be walked on.

A couple years some one hard the bright idea of turfing Trafalgar square for the day.

Genius, I wish they'd take the paving stones up and do it permanently.

As for BBQ, well they are banned on Clapham Common now. To an extent I can understand it, because quite simply the lazy f*ckers could never be othered to clear them up afterwards.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
do a well signed cycle lane (with a max speed of say 10mph?) down the middle of the prom. maybe even have it painted different, or slightly raised edges / rumble strips?

put a few kinks in it to slow down / catch out the speed demons, and on the spot fines for people who abuse the system.

BBQ's- have one field (or part of each) set aside for built in gas grills, charging £1 for 10 mins gas or so? or £10/hr and get 'VIP' service (some min wage lacky does it all for you).

people could take food down by foot or on the bus, and not have to lug around heavy/messy grills..

clearing up any rubbish- several clearly marked bins, with snipers nearby to shoot anyone leaving stuff behind.

costs could be subsidised by a 'sponsor a pebble' for the mug tourists, er engaging visitors..

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here