Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tory kill-joy council

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Huge signs on Hove Lawns saying you cannot BBQ there anymore.

Miserable toss pots.

It is a shame but look at it from their point of view,
the council are constantly having to clean up all the left over shit and rubbish that people leave behind,some people have trouble wiping their own arseholes if their mum is not around to do it for them,I speak as someone who lives near a park and after a nice sunny weekend to look and see all the chicken bones,beer tins, coleslaw pots etc etc laying aroud really gets on my tits.

ridda

Oct 6, 2003
BN1
It is a shame but look at it from their point of view,
the council are constantly having to clean up all the left over shit and rubbish that people leave behind,some people have trouble wiping their own arseholes if their mum is not around to do it for them,I speak as someone who lives near a park and after a nice sunny weekend to look and see all the chicken bones,beer tins, coleslaw pots etc etc laying aroud really gets on my tits.

Also it burns and kills the grass leaving bare patches.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
People can't be trusted to clean up. However, how many people get fined for letting their dogs crap around the city? How many people get fined for cycling along the promenade past The Meeting Place? I used the King's Lawns as my garden when I lived opposite the West Pier and the amount of rubbish people used to leave about, in the summer, was obscene.

However, I do not see it working. People that leave rubbish are more likely not to abide by rules.

You can still have barbies on the beach.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
we had over 200 bags of rubbish from saturday, sunday and this morning from Preston park alone. There's been 3 of us on....4 hours each over the weekend just clearing rubbish.

The problem is, most people happily bag their rubbish up but then either cram it in the small bins or leave it by the side once the bins are full. What they don't see is the Herring Gulls, foxes and dogs redistribute every single bag back over the park.

It's good to see people enjoying the parks and having parties and BBQs but if everyone could just take their bin bags home with them, it would be so much better.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak

yes, so the good old tory council do what they do best and ruin it for everyone including those who DO clean up after themselves!

Anyway, I'd love to know how they're going to enforce this...It's not law that you can't bbq in a public space, paid for by tax payers.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
we had over 200 bags of rubbish from saturday, sunday and this morning from Preston park alone. There's been 3 of us on....4 hours each over the weekend just clearing rubbish.

Are you doing community service , jevs ? :)

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
yes, so the good old tory council do what they do best and ruin it for everyone including those who DO clean up after themselves!

Anyway, I'd love to know how they're going to enforce this...It's not law that you can't bbq in a public space, paid for by tax payers.

Supaseagull in Tory rant shock :ohmy:

What do you suggest they do then? Let people just trash the place? It is impractical to police the whole area making sure people take all their litter with them. You are still able to have BBQ's on designated spots on the beach.

Besides, how was this decided upon? Was it the local residents that complained in the first place? There are obviously ramifications with litter blowing across. Was this 'motion' voted upon and solely Tories in favour?

If people can't be trusted to clean up after themselves, I would rather it were banned so we don't have to live in a pig sty. The rest of Brighton is a fecking hole with so much rubbish about. It would be nice to preserve an area somewhat free of crap.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What do you suggest they do then? Let people just trash the place?

Crap logic. Is it this black and white? Legislation or a trashed lawn?

I have lived over the road from the lawns for 6 years and to my knowledge, as well as those who I've spoken to, there is no specific problem with BBQs. Most people who use the lawns seem to be responsible and bag up their rubbish afterwards. If litter is a problem why do they still allow grilling on the prom and on the beach? If it's burn grass then again I am not aware of significant numbers of burnt patches on the lawns. In fact most people I know actually use non-disposable BBQs which do not burn the grass.

If it is litter and burnt grass then put a sign up that says do not litter or burn the grass. Legislate for the issue not issue a lazy blanket ban which is unworkable and misses the point.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Doesnt say anything about regular cooking though.

You're all invited to Herr Tubthumper's Gaz cooking extravaganza next Saturday on the lawns.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Hang on, isn't Brighton and Hove council No Overall Control?

Yes...
There is no overall control by one political party of the city council following the 2007 elections. The Conservatives are now the largest party with 26 seats out of a possible 54.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat

The problem is, most people happily bag their rubbish up but then either cram it in the small bins or leave it by the side once the bins are full. What they don't see is the Herring Gulls, foxes and dogs redistribute every single bag back over the park.

It's good to see people enjoying the parks and having parties and BBQs but if everyone could just take their bin bags home with them, it would be so much better.

Im not taking the piss here but has anybody suggested dropping off a few of those mega wheelie bins on a sat morning and emptying them late sat night ready for sundays onslaught ?

bigc

Jul 5, 2003

Yes...
There is no overall control by one political party of the city council following the 2007 elections. The Conservatives are now the largest party with 26 seats out of a possible 54.

It is effectively controlled by them mind you. One of the two independents on the council, elected from Stanford ward I believe, votes with the Tories.

It would properly become N.O.C if there were the by election that is rumoured to be on the cards in St.Annes Well ward due to the a.w.o.l Tory councillor there, as the Greens feel they would be in with a decent punt of sweeping it up.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Yes...

Leader of the Council
The Leader of the Council (Councillor Mary Mears) has overall responsibility for the discharge of all executive functions of the authority. The Leader is elected by the Full Council and holds office until the Annual Council meeting following the next local election. They remain in post unless there are specific causes (as detailed in the constitution) that prevent them from doing so.
The Leader is the political head of the executive with responsibility for setting corporate priorities and strategic policy direction. They appoint and chair the cabinet and acts as the principal spokesperson for the council.

It is the responsibility of the Leader, in consultation with the Chief Executive and the Monitoring Officer, to draw up a four month Forward Plan of executive business which is kept under review. The Forward Plan details all key decisions to be taken by the executive in the coming months.

The Leader, along with the Mayor, acts as an ambassador for the council. They maintain professional working relationships and establish mutual respect with the chairmen of the council’s Regulatory Committees and Overview & Scrutiny committees, and with all other Members and officers, to ensure the effective running of the council.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Cabinet
The Cabinet is made up of the Leader of the Council and between two and nine other councillors. They are collectively known as 'the executive' and can jointly or individually make any decision that does not have to be made by another part of the local authority - meaning that the executive is responsible for making the majority of the council’s decisions, but these decisions must be consistent with the budget and policy framework adopted by the Full Council, details of which can be found in the Constitution.

The cabinet is made up entirely of tory dullards and therefore the tories do pretty much run the council.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Mr Tubthumper, you have made some valid points and I can't be arsed to reply to that particular post. Sorry, nothing personal, but I have been digging trenches all day and then went for a ten mile cycle. Have you thought about writing to the council and questioning their reasoning? I would be interested to see what they say. I would do the same, but feel a bit of a fraud as I am now living up in the smoke.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Hasn't this been the case for years? I'm sure I read in the Argus about 5 years ago that they were banning BBQs on hove lawns because complaints from residents and the grass getting burnt

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hasn't this been the case for years? I'm sure I read in the Argus about 5 years ago that they were banning BBQs on hove lawns because complaints from residents and the grass getting burnt

Might have been but it has never been enforced and no signs have ever been present until this spring.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here