Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Top ten finish, dream or now a possibilty

Top ten finish

• Total voters

Aug 8, 2012
Embarrassing!! , we are so lucky to have Potter. A tactical masterclass tonight. He must be so frustrated that our recruitment team can't give him the goal scorers he needs.
His development of our current players is amazing.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
Despite not winning for 11 games, we weren’t losing that many either. That was why so many were standing by accepting things weren’t as bad as they were being portrayed by some. Top 10 is often around 48 - 52 points or so, and coming up to the halfway mark we are halfway there.

IF Welbeck, Trossard, Lamptey can stay fit, and Duffy, Dunk, Webster aren’t out too long, think we will do it, I genuinely think we are one of the best sides in this league that simply lacks goal scorers.

With the addition of 1 or 2 Jan signings (hopefully with similar quality to Marc C). I was hoping for 30 from 20 games and this is do-able I reckon, so 48-52 for the second half of the season could well be on.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Pipe Dream, look at all the teams now that are below us, that we will either lose to or draw with.
One swallow etc.

Absolutely a possibility and I would say a probability. Yes, we've struggled recently with injuries, covid and suspensions like any other side in the division but, we are still 10th! Last night we matched and at times played Chelsea off the park which not many teams can do and, still without half our defence!!

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
If we can sign another 10-15 goals a season striker, then we should definitely make top half.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Let's not get carried away. Until we can start winning a few at home then it's a pipe dream. Potter is not the person to get us to the next level imo.

Potter’s managed to get us in the top 10 at the halfway point. Unless some of the teams below us improve all we have to do is match the first half of the season. And I’m sure Potter has a record of his teams always being better in the second half of the season.

Time to put aside your doubts about Potter and start enjoying what could be the best season in our history.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
It’s a possibility for sure but not a certainty.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Potter will be telling his squad we can still finish top six and in the European places. The truth is, we'd need luck and better finishing but even that is not out of the question, never mind top 10.

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
Two or three weeks ago it was doom and gloom as we slipped down the table, now it's top ten! There will be more ups and downs in the coming months - this is Brighton and Hove Albion, we could finish anywhere! Stay on the rollercoaster and enjoy the ride! :albion2::albion:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We could be on target for 50 points, but anything more than 45 would be progress, and 12th in the talbe. . . . A lot could and probably will happen between now and the end of the season!

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2011
I don't think top 10 will definitely happen for us but it is a realistic possibility for Everton in 15th let alone us.

Perhaps the poll should have given an option for nailed on top 10 as well as realistic possibility?

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
How can some posters still be so negative and dismissive. Even with the games in hand situation we have only been out of the top ten for a week or so all season.

Its a bit like how despite only ever beeing in the relegation places for a couple of weeks in the 4 and a half seasons we have been in the Prem, we have clawed our way out of the relegation spots more times than i can remember

Will we finish top 10? possibly, possibly not, but for posters to continue to think its a pipe dream when after 18 games we have lost 4, and have been picking up points against teams from all over the table, and are where we are on merit, not some fluke of postponed games, or jammy goals and inexplicable misses by the opposition.

Top ten this season is a distinct possibility, whether it occurs or not is a different matter, but the question wasn't will we, but is it possible

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
How can some posters still be so negative and dismissive.

Experience as a Brighton fan?

Earlier this season, I was sure we would drop to the usual bottom 6 finish. Not because I don't have any faith in Potter, but because history shows wage bill is the biggest indicator of finishing place and we're not paying top 10 wages. Also because we were seeing that on the pitch where we didn't have the quality to convert enough of our chances, or hold out with a clean sheet for 90mins frequently enough.

I'm still not sure we will finish top 10, but to see us go 12 games without a win and still be there or there abouts certainly makes you think it's possible because it's a weird season (see also one win newcastle only being 2 points from safety).

On the negative side (along with wage bill) I'm a little sceptical that our win over Brentford was at least in part because they played so poorly in that first half and that single win could "paper over the cracks" so to speak (not sure it's cracks if it's 'where you should be on wage bill'), and worry that last night's result is the first in the next long run of winless games, that will see us eventually drop further down the table.

At the same time I'm aware that some people seem to be suggesting the recent surgery for Welbeck has actually addressed an underlying issue and he could be properly fit for the rest of the season. There's also the possibility that with the reportedly impending loan move for Connolly are we looking to see out the season with just Welbeck and Maupay or does it indicate more strike options coming in January? So, along with the weirdness of the table this season, suggests it's entirely possible this is the season we can be an exception to the wage bil thing.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Let's not get carried away. Until we can start winning a few at home then it's a pipe dream. Potter is not the person to get us to the next level imo.

Thinking something is a "realistic possibility" is not "getting carried away", I think you need to get a grip.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Dont see the point in discussing position really... its such a huge difference from season to season.

10th placed team points:

20/21 - 59
19/20 - 54
18/19 - 52
17/18 - 44
16/17 - 45
15/16 - 50
14/15 - 48

44 points and 59 points are a hell of a difference, which is why I think number of points will be more telling than final league position.

Would be lovely to beat the Brighton PL records:
Most no. of goals: 40 (last season)
Least goals conceded: 46 (last season)
Wins: 9 (all seasons)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Above all, last night's performance suggests it should be a realistic possibility. Ending the winless run on Sunday and following it up with that last night you can see the confidence coursing through the team and the number of late goals is testament to the attitude right through the squad. Personally I'd see 12th as really good progress, but points need to be considered as well - anything approaching 50 would be excellent regardless of where that puts us. I can see us going a bit higher than 12th though. Heard so many references on the radio last night and this morning to how good we are - really starting to get noticed.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We could be on target for 50 points, but anything more than 45 would be progress, and 12th in the talbe. . . . A lot could and probably will happen between now and the end of the season!

Whether 15th or 8th, will be just nice to get through a season without any real worry looking down the table. Through in some results like last night, and it’s a cracking first half of the season even with a 11 game winless streak. 24 from 18 with a bit of a bad run is really more than expectation in my book, especially carry injuries and lack of cover in a couple of areas.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here