Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top Ten - Clubs in Crisis

JonC

Oct 18, 2004
Crewe fan here, doing a feature for our fanzine. Thought I could count on you lot for some help.

The top ten 'clubs in crisis' from recent times - who are they? Not knowing too much about the subject I would have to go:

1) Wrexham
2) Brighton
3) Palace
4) Doncaster
5) Aldershot
6) Exeter
7) Wimbledon
8) Bradford
9) Notts County
10) Cambridge

What are people's opinions? Any you'd include that I've missed out? Any that aren't worthy of being on the list.

Cue....OTLW/TLB

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
doubt palace or wimbledon would be up there. Do you mean AFC wimbledon or Mk dons?

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
You must, must include Bury & York - I've sent them money in the last two years after they appealed for help.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
This might sound like a bit of a wise-crack answer, but you could quite easily include Leeds and Cardiff in your list, and possibly Leicester.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
And we could soon be at number one if Prescott says NO.

JonC

Oct 18, 2004
Cheers, not too sure about Bury, but I'll definetly include York. Perhaps at the expense of Wimbledon (I was counting them as a club in crisis because the club they knew ended).

Wouldn't count Cardiff or Leeds - their financial backup is, unfortunately, too big to be a real 'crisis' club. No 10 point deductions, and a Crewe relegation will probably happen :(

JonC

Oct 18, 2004
mona said:
We already are number ONE.
Wrexham have a ground

I disagree.

Perhaps once you were number 1, but in the present circumstances Wrexham are the closest team to going to the wall.

JonC said:
Cheers, not too sure about Bury, but I'll definetly include York. Perhaps at the expense of Wimbledon (I was counting them as a club in crisis because the club they knew ended).

Wouldn't count Cardiff or Leeds - their financial backup is, unfortunately, too big to be a real 'crisis' club. No 10 point deductions, and a Crewe relegation will probably happen :(
DEFINITELY include Bury - half the people on NSC own seats at Gigg Lane.

And York City - earlier in the season they looked likely candidates for relegation from the Conference. Which, on top of the troubles of the last few years, would have been more than any loyal supporter could have stomached.

If you want to drop teams from your list, I'd suggest Palace and Aldershot. Both have got through their crises and I guess now view those times as ancient history, nothing to do with the fortunes of the current teams.

Not, I hasten to add, that I have any admiration for Simon Jordan.

Last edited:

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Burnley were up against it as well not so lon ago. fortunately their supporters group has helped save the club:clap: :clap: :clap:

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
JonC said:
Wouldn't count Cardiff or Leeds - their financial backup is, unfortunately, too big to be a real 'crisis' club.

What's with the 'unfortunately'? Cheeky fucker.

Anyway, I'd include Maidtone and Telford. They went through the hoop. And aren't Grimsby Town currently in big financial trouble?

I believe Chelsea have the largest debts of any English club at the moment, so perhaps you should add them to your list.....

:lolol: :thumbsup:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Tom Hark said:
It's got Chelski on it - bucket collection anybody?

The only bucket that I'd contribute to to Cheski would have something far less pleasant than money in it.

JonC

Oct 18, 2004
The Laughing Bluebird said:
What's with the 'unfortunately'? Cheeky fucker.

Anyway, I'd include Maidtone and Telford. They went through the hoop. And aren't Grimsby Town currently in big financial trouble?

I believe Chelsea have the largest debts of any English club at the moment, so perhaps you should add them to your list.....

:lolol: :thumbsup:

Because if Cardiff went tits up then Crewe would be safe.

As it is, I'd be amazed if we stay up.

York & Bury, definitely - and Grimsby are indeed in an awful mess at the mo.

Alternatively, you could go for British clubs - Barry Town, East Stirling and a number of others could be added to your English list. Make sure you mention the ones which never made it - Wimbledon being destroyed, Clydebank being wiped out, that sort of stuff. It's all well and good talking of crisis, but you need to remind some people that crisis can lead to the death of a club. Otherwise, your article would be all about hypotheticals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here