Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Top Premier League players

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
this is pretty difficult, some cracking players. very surprised Gerrard not mentioned yet, best English and arguably any nationality midfielder. except maybe Veira... and so on.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Peter Schmeichel
Stam, Ferdinand, Van Dijk, Terry.
De Bruyne, Ronaldo, Lampard, Hazard.
Henry, Shearer.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Schmeichel (the elder) maybe Edison and Allison in the future
VVD, Ferdinand, Vidic - no world class full backs (Alexander Arnold maybe after a few more years ago but I think he is actually too good to be a full back)
Gerrard, Ronaldo, DeBruyne, David Silva, Xabi Alonso, Vierra, Makelelle (they even named the position after him)
Bergkamp, Henry, Suarez, Shearer

Never sure about Giggs, Keane and Scholes - close but not there

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
My less Swedish eleven:

I'm just going to go for players who played in the PL for an extended time, leaving out some possible names (Jaap Stam, Cristiano Ronaldo, Zlatan Ibrahimovic) who were possibly better than some of these players but had the best parts of their careers elsewhere. Some of the new kids on the block, like VVD, will also have to wait.

Van der Sar - not going to harass you with Nigel Martyn and also not picking a Dane, vdS it is.

Nemanja Vidic - cant think of a right back who deserves it so Vidic get the nod.
Tony Adams - rarely mentioned when talking dream teams these days for whatever reason but he was a dirty good defender for a long time.
Ricardo Carvalho - Terry wa good obviously but Carvalho was better.
Ashley Cole - consistently the best or one of the best left backs in PL for what, 15 years?

Eric Cantona - gets to play right wing here, just a very good and dominant player.
Patrick Vieira - no dream team without Vieira.
Claude Makelele - godlike in Chelsea. Just like Real Madrid they are till looking for his replacement.
Ryan Giggs - there was always someone better but he was very good for a very long time.

Thierry Henry - the GOAT in PL history.
Dennis Bergkamp - Shearer, Van Nistelrooy, van Persie, Hasselbaink and a few others were probably "better" in some sense and more useful, but no one was as entertaining to watch as Bergkamp. Unique player.

Bench:
Nigel Martyn, Sol Campbell, John Terry, Rio Ferdinand, David Beckham, Paul Scholes, Gilberto Silva, Ruud van Nistelrooy, Alan Shearer and of course my favorite player Pierre van Hooijdonk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I'd have Ian Rush up front

What, what do you mean football hadn't been invented then?

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Peter Schmeichel
Tony Adams
Roy Keane
Eric Cantona

Would all be in my list - you wouldn’t lose many fights!

Gary Neville and Ashley Cole probably the full backs
Thierry Henry

And then any from Van Dyke, Viera, Scholes, Gerrard, Ronaldo, Bergkamp, Giggs, Suarez, Shearer, Drogba etc etc

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Anyone picking Keane over Vieira - blink two times if you are being held hostage by Jolly Red Giant.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
this is pretty difficult, some cracking players. very surprised Gerrard not mentioned yet, best English and arguably any nationality midfielder. except maybe Veira... and so on.

My good self mentioned Stevie G at the start of the thread. I agree with you, unreal player.. although always felt he never quite delivered for us on the international stage.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Schmeichel (the elder) maybe Edison and Allison in the future
VVD, Ferdinand, Vidic - no world class full backs (Alexander Arnold maybe after a few more years ago but I think he is actually too good to be a full back)
Gerrard, Ronaldo, DeBruyne, David Silva, Xabi Alonso, Vierra, Makelelle (they even named the position after him)
Bergkamp, Henry, Suarez, Shearer

Never sure about Giggs, Keane and Scholes - close but not there

Ashley Cole was without doubt a world class full back. The best in the world for a time.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
How old are you out of interest Swanny?

I watched these two go up against each other many times and would always pick Keane ahead of Viera. Keane was an absolute force of nature. Not seen a player like him since.

Yeah same here. Viera was great too, but Keane was a warrior of a player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here