Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top Letter Today in Argus

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
Hidden agendas
As I travel past Falmer on a daily basis, I have watched the development going on beside the A27.

There are several buildings which look very much like student accommodation.

I don't have a problem with this as the area already has two universities, a railway station, the Southern Water offices and a school.

advertisementThis development is only a few hundred yards from the proposed football stadium but is there a hue and cry about it? I don't hear one.

How come Lewes District Council is not complaining? How come the people of Falmer are not complaining?

They are not complaining because they are not anti-development - they are anti-Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club.

Their argument is that the crowds will be disruptive. Won't hundreds of extra students going to and from their accommodation for lectures or for a pint in the evening be disruptive?

This will be every day - not for 25 or 30 days a year.

This is not about development. This is about football. This is the proof.

Let's have the stadium on the best available site - Falmer.

Geoff Fitch
Greenacres Drive, Ringmer

¤Dã?n¥ §êãGüLL¤ said:
Have to admit I think the same thing everytime I go past. I know it's not exactly in the same area as the proposed site but it's a f***ing eyesore.
It's nearer to the stadium site than any part of Falmer Village is.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
¤Dã?n¥ §êãGüLL¤ said:
True, true. That crane they have there at the mo is MASSIVE as well! But not one little grumble about it.

This is not strictly relevant, but I heard on Radio 5 this morning, that currently, ONE FIFTH of all the world's cranes are in Dubai. I just thought I'd share that with you!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
hans kraay fan club said:
This is not strictly relevant, but I heard on Radio 5 this morning, that currently, ONE FIFTH of all the world's cranes are in Dubai. I just thought I'd share that with you!
That's funny - not long after the Berlin Wall had come down I heard EXACTLY the same stat about Berlin. And then, about five ago, it was Shanghai, now Dubai. Where's next on this list of "places where you find one fifth of the world's cranes"? Falmer?

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Well done that man

:bowdown: :bowdown:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The reason they are against Falmer Stadium ties in with my theory...The council are trying to make Brighton The Riviera of England. This is why the local or national news agencies do not report crime that occurs in Brighton, despite us having the worst crime rate on any Estate in England and Wales, the highest drug related crime rate in England, including Glasgow, Manchester and London and the highest weapon related death rate outside of London.

On top of that we now officially have the highest living costs of anywhere in the Uk, which in turn means Europe (higher than London, even higher if you take into account we do not have London Waiting added to our wages) and we have some of the lowest wages in England because Brighon has a service based economy (deliberatley, because we are here to serve rich tourists and second home owners)

House prices are the highest in The Uk. What does this mean?

It means that the average, lower to middle class person is very soon going to be forced out of Brighton and the people that stand to profit from this do not want any area in Brighton plagued by such a "common" pastime as Football or the "common" people that follow it puting people off investing in Brighton or people visiting the city and spending t heir money here.

It's a theory but every week I find something that backs it up. It makes me furious.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
:clap: :clap: :clap:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Nibble said:
The reason they are against Falmer Stadium ties in with my theory...The council are trying to make Brighton The Riviera of England. This is why the local or national news agencies do not report crime that occurs in Brighton, despite us having the worst crime rate on any Estate in England and Wales, the highest drug related crime rate in England, including Glasgow, Manchester and London and the highest weapon related death rate outside of London.

On top of that we now officially have the highest living costs of anywhere in the Uk, which in turn means Europe (higher than London, even higher if you take into account we do not have London Waiting added to our wages) and we have some of the lowest wages in England because Brighon has a service based economy (deliberatley, because we are here to serve rich tourists and second home owners)

It means that the average, lower to middle class person is very soon going to be forced out of Brighton and the people that stand to profit from this do not want any area in Brighton plagued by such a "common" pastime as Football or the "common" people that follow it puting people off investing in Brighton or people visiting the city and spending t heir money here.

It's a theory but every week I find something that backs it up. It makes me furious.

You could not be more wrong about this. B&H Council is totally supportive of Falmer and always has been.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Big picture of a half-empty H Block on Page 52 today to accompany their 'Talkback' column. Column asks could the council help out by waiving the rental charge for Withdean for the rest of the season and the money saved used to offer discount tickets.

Tellingly, includes the words 'And before Albion season ticket holders moan...'

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
hans kraay fan club said:
You could not be more wrong about this. B&H Council is totally supportive of Falmer and always has been.

I am never wrong. f*** you.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Nibble said:

Where do you get your figures from?

Especially the following:

Worst crime rate in the UK
Highest weapons related deaths outside of London
Highest living costs
Highest house prices - are you saying this ain't true: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/in_depth/uk_house_prices/regions/html/region9.stm

Cheers!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here