Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top Gear, Tonight, BBC 2

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
wasn't very good, was it

I wasn't too impressed and even less so now I see that that the BBC is repeating it tonight. Seems to me that the TV has been crap this Christmas, nothing but repeats.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I saw the first two episodes of Top Gear USA which started a month ago. It’s not terrible but it’s a pretty pale imitation of the original. It totally lacks the all important chemistry between the presenters that you get with Clarkson, Hammond and May. Unusually for a US production it does not appear to have anywhere near the same budget that the BBC allocates – and it shows. And why did they choose the History Channel for the debut – it needed to be on one of the main US networks. It may get a niche market but looks set to disappear without trace – IMHO.

It's just one show that I can't see how any US network would back it. The BBC makes a mint out of it. There are others, They Think It's All Over is one I felt would have gone down well there however there have been numerous attempts to import British shows that have been feeble in their American incarnation. When you realise what they will pay (typically a British show will have one or two writers as against a team in the US) it's a bit odd. I can see Top Gear US barely lasting a season and yet I have met plenty of Americans and Canadians who watch the original.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
was'nt one of the best Specials, still had its moments and I enjoyed it for Entertainment value.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It been quite an eye opener having my mother-in-law, here.

The other day I was scrolling through 'guide' and she pipe up 'Top Gear', as I got to Dave.
I just assumed she was being polite for my sake.

But watching last night, she was in total hysterics, throughout the entire show.

Now I doubt 61 year old Grandmothers are the target audience, but I bet TG will be the best thing she's watched, this holiday.

For the record, The North Pole was the best 'special edition'.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
My mate who is serving in Iraq was there when they arrived to film this and has a load of photo's taken with them all.

Was good to finally see it on tv!

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I thought it was good. I'd LOVE to do that journey in one of those cars (apart from the desert bit.) Some of the view - WOW.

What you don't get is that the show is SO contrived, they never went to most of these places, you SERIOUSLY think they went anywhere near the north pole?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I couldn't give a stuff about the script and I can't stand cars.

It is simply one of the best (if not the best) shot and edited programmes.

Sometimes it is simply stunning to watch.

Really enjoyed that.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I couldn't give a stuff about the script and I can't stand cars.

It is simply one of the best (if not the best) shot and edited programmes.

Sometimes it is simply stunning to watch.

Really enjoyed that.

Well said, I have no real interest in cars but always watch top Gear. The specials were alright but people's expectations have risen so much it was never going to met them.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Very poor indeed.

Highlight of Christmas telly? Peep Show Christmas.

Missed it sadly. Has "Kenneth" been brought back out of the drawer yet? Killed myself laughing over that bit a week or so back.

And since then with everyone I know called "Kenneth"....:laugh::laugh:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not bad and not brilliant, had its moments that were very funny.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
my Sky+ Planner just popped up to say its recording Top Gear on Sunday at 8pm:

In the first of six brand new episodes, Jeremy Clarkson subjects the Skoda Yeti to a remarkably thorough road test, while James May makes a rare visit to the test track in the insane Aerial Atom V8. Meanwhile, Richard Hammond celebrates the incredible evolution of the Porsche 911 by racing a modern Turbo Cabriolet against its oldest relative and the power of gravity.

Plus there's more heated studio debate with the return of the Cool Wall and another celebrity guest takes their turn in the Reasonably Priced Car.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Excellent news, Sky plus set

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here