Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top Gear at The Cenotaph.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Already stopped listening to the Top Gear trailers and publicity adverts, sorry Chris Evans Breakfast show. Feels like the baby is going out with the bathwater. Not only has Top Gear (allegedly) been reduced from 8 shows to 6 due to cost overruns, but Evans' radio show is partly presented by the unlistenable Sarah Cox or has no content. Evans has spread himself too thin, so now TFI and his breakfast show are bland, content free rubbish, sacrificed to his ego at the altar of Top Gear, which is probably going to fail whatever stunts they try.

There's a real sense of deja vu here. It's a rerun of his radio 1 years. he gets some high profile success, his ego expands, he gets offered more work, his ego expands, he gets spread too thin but his enormous ego won't recognise this. Next stop career implosion.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
I watched the video and it's nowhere bloody near it ???

I could understand if they were doing donuts AROUND the cenotaph but they are quite a way away from it. Surely it's featured in bond films and the like before and as previously mentioned cars and buses drive just metres past it every day. Should they make the whole of Whitehall off limits so that nobody gets upset?

What is clever about some idiot doing a doughnut ?
I have traffic passing my house all day and no one has performed a doughnut.
It could have been done equally well in an Asda car park and with no fuss and certainly more publicity for Asda, and they would probably thrown a few quid in to cover costs.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
...and next week we drive the new Vauxhall Viva negotiating the obstacles in Woodvale Crematorium, whilst we also crash a caravan with hoots of laughter.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Really can't understand why people find driving silly cars round London streets so interesting anyway.

Top Gear always was a load of laddish bullsh*t and this just underlines that.

It was and always will be a lame excuse for a bunch of overgrown schoolboys to spunk a chunk of our licence fee on expensive playthings

Irrespective of the rights or wrongs of what they do, doesn't Top Gear earn the Beeb more than it costs?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
It could have been done equally well in an Asda car park and with no fuss and certainly more publicity for Asda, and they would probably thrown a few quid in to cover costs.

A celebrity doing a doughnut. What great viewing. Who the hell wants to see such trivia?

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
But they must have been given permission to do this surely your anger should be directed at whoever gave it, they were obviously told not near the cenotaph but just down a bit is ok.
I totally respect the war dead, but it is a public road.
Can't think of any off the top of my head but I am sure that lots of movies have been shot in Whitehall probably with car action or shooting, if so what is the difference.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
strange - it's almost as if a programme, which has been stripped of its naught boy image by virtue of losing its main presenters somehow got some press coverage of its presenters misbehaving.

I'm sure it's all coincidental and not a PR stunt designed to reaffirm that image. Much like the adverts which cause controversy and generate more coverage than the advert itself.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Also there is A WORLD of difference between doing crap car stunts 40m from the Cenotaph and PISSING on a war memorial.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Also there is A WORLD of difference between doing crap car stunts 40m from the Cenotaph and PISSING on a war memorial.

both are crass and very disrespectful............................many died so that could happen and does not mean you have to do it and disrespect them

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
both are crass and very disrespectful............................many died so that could happen and does not mean you have to do it and disrespect them
If you think the two are remotely comparable then we'll have to agree to disagree on this one mate.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

Well my guess is that it was one shot from a collection of many, put together to create a section for the show?

Pretty much this really.

If they'd been driving past The Cenotaph flicking V's at it, mooning out the windows or even hanging off the Standards then I'd be the first to be outraged, for justifiable reasons.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't care whether it's clever or not. Is it an insult to those that gave their lives for our freedom - not IMO.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Pretty much this really.

If they'd been driving past The Cenotaph flicking V's at it, mooning out the windows or even hanging off the Standards then I'd be the first to be outraged, for justifiable reasons.

Very much this. The Cenotaph is in the middle of what is probably one of the busiest roads in the country. Were they there because it is an iconic thoroughfare, or because it was next to the Cenotaph. And I say that on the basis that it was an iconic thoroughfare before the Cenotaph was built there.

If they were trying to see if a Land-Rover with chains could pull it over, then that would be crass.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here