Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top five BHA players this year? (if you don't want to read a BLOG don't click here)

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
5 - Greer
4 - Painter
3 - El Abd
2 - Benno
1 - Murray

Benno would have been been number 1 had he not gone off the boil for about 2months around the tranfer window

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
liking that. I was writing my final blog about the season, I nearly did my top 5 players theme, but instead I wanted for surreal moments of the season.

My top 5 were the same players, but in the slightest of different orders
5 - Ankergren
4 - Bridcutt
3 - El Abd
2 - Bennett
1 - Murray

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
5. Greer
4. Painter
3. Bridcutt
2. Bennett
1. Murray

Murray. Not just for the goals, but the way he tackles back and his incredible ability in the air. Superb season - really hope he stays.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Not a bad piece at all, although some of your grammar needs attention :)

Agree with your top 5 completely although I think you could have done more to emphasise the value of Glenn's hold-up play (without him as an outlet Barnes isn't big enough and Wood isn't good enough and our game risks falling apart)

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Good Blog, although i dont agree with your comments about El-Abd... i dont think someone just randomly turns into a player of that quality.

The 3 main reasons being. 1) he has always had that natural ability, however previous managers have always instructed him to hoof it. 2) the current style of play and management team, how they have changed the way we play and no doubt installed alot of confidence in him 3) Gorden Greer, theres no doubt in my mind playing alongside Greer has made him better as he has a centre back partner he can trust.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We are a significantly better side WITH Greer than without him. Same is true of Murray and Bennett, which is why I'd rate them our three most important players.

That's not to say that El-Abd, Casper, Bridcutt, Barnes, Calderon and Painter haven't all had great seasons, too.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
El-Abd has had such a great season because of playing alongside Greer, if it had been him and Elphick all season long don't think he'd have been anywhere near player of the season.
The Morgan/Cullip partnership was quite similar in a lot of ways.
The lack of goals we have conceded this season is, IMHO, the main reason we are champions. For that reason Marcos Painter can consider himself unfortunate not to be included in my top 5.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
We are a significantly better side WITH Greer than without him. Same is true of Murray and Bennett, which is why I'd rate them our three most important players.

That's not to say that El-Abd, Casper, Bridcutt, Barnes, Calderon and Painter haven't all had great seasons, too.

Agreed. Which is why it is all the more frustrating when he gets himself sent off...

I also think you can say the same for almost any of our best 7 or 8 players.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Agreed. Which is why it is all the more frustrating when he gets himself sent off...

I also think you can say the same for almost any of our best 7 or 8 players.

To a point Richie, yes. However, the reason that we are significantly weakened by say Calderon or Painter's absence, is through lack of any credible alternative, as much as anything else. Murray (Wood / Barnes), Greer (Elphick / Dunk) and Bennett (various midfielders) have alternatives, but the team simply functions better with them, than with anyone else.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
To a point Richie, yes. However, the reason that we are significantly weakened by say Calderon or Painter's absence, is through lack of any credible alternative, as much as anything else. Murray (Wood / Barnes), Greer (Elphick / Dunk) and Bennett (various midfielders) have alternatives, but the team simply functions better with them, than with anyone else.

I would say it is far more noticeable when Murray is missing than any other player.

I have been impressed with Greer - I just think Painter is more consistent and El Abd makes less mistakes, be them in play or disciplinary.

Greer may be a better player than them, but that does not mean he has had a better season.

Although, how welcome is it to have half a dozen people to discuss rather than finding the one player who actually tried properly a la the Andy Whing Player of the Year season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here