Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Top Christmas Board game

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Modern board games are great. Much less downtime and much more social interaction than old fashioned games.

What’s best depends on how old you are, how long you have to play, how many players you have and how complex you like your games. Board Game Geek is a good site to explore.

The classic “gateway” games to modern boardgaming are Ticket to Ride and Settlers of Catan. I’d start with the USA Ticket to ride as slightly less complex. You can buy Ticket to Ride as an app for about 1/10th the cost of the physical game if you want to explore it that way, although playing with others around a table with the physical game is much more social.

I’m not a huge fan of Catan but I am in the minority and I must admit that non-gamers I play it with love it.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
51Aa-Zlo0QL._SX425_.jpg

Flamme Rouge is great fun. Not difficult at all to get to grips with - 12 upwards I reck.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Does anyone remember the old Waddington's board game, Go? where players get to travel the world?

I don't believe that it's made now, but presume you can still obtain used versions via ebay and the like. Used to really enjoy playing it as a teenager.

Stumpy Tim

We use to take this to play on the train when travelling to away games back in the day

k11.jpg

when we weren't playing beer can cricket

Now you´re talking. I used to play that for HOURS on my own when I was 7 or 8 years old. I didn´t play against my brothers as they would always beat me (cheats), so I played against myself. Literally played 24 team leagues, and then offered bets to my school mates. I remember Daniel Smith getting upset that Leicester won the league, and that is was completely unrealistic. :clap2:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Now you´re talking. I used to play that for HOURS on my own when I was 7 or 8 years old. I didn´t play against my brothers as they would always beat me (cheats), so I played against myself. Literally played 24 team leagues, and then offered bets to my school mates. I remember Daniel Smith getting upset that Leicester won the league, and that is was completely unrealistic. :clap2:

"when I was 7 or 8 years old"

Don't pretend you don't still play it by yourself.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Did anyone here ever play Monopoly as per the rules? Mainly, that you don't have to land on a property to buy it? When you land on a property space and you choose not to buy it, the property must be auctioned off by the banker, and the other players can bid on it.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Another view here for the Albion Taxi game. My eldest has no interest in the Albion but still enjoyed it.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Destination has a Brighton version that is simple to play, roll dice, move your car, earn some cash. Ticket to ride, Carcassone, qwirkle or the really nasty horse race game are all winners in our house. Not too many rules to learn. If knowledge is your thing we have smart ass or linkee both are great if you are of similar intelligence and have a varying range so everyone can win some. I would recommend a few card games, Rook, phase 10, bohnanza and monopoly deal are all great fun for large groups or just for 2 players

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Totopoly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, l had that as a kid. In those days, (late 1960's), the horses were made out of diecast metal. They certainly wouldn't be today, if the gane was still produced, which I'm sure it isn't.

Formula 1 was a great game of the same era, although the racing cars were plastic. I remember biting the wheel off my friend's car when he cheated once. I was a competetive little sod in those days.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Ticket to ride is good, though not really an Xmas game.

Dixit is a winner at all times

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here