Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top 10 highest paid footballers at the 2010 World Cup

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Ashley Cole would walk into everyone of those teams.

Terry would be in all those teams, barring possibly Brazil who are very strong in central defence (arguably better than Juan).

Rooney would get in all those teams. Was the number one striker the year before for United with Tevez having to play a bit part role.

Gerrard and Lampard would probably get into all of those teams depending on the formation played..

Barry would be in ahead of Gilberto Silva. Ageing centre midfielder now in the twilight of his career playing in Greece. Think he'd get in the German side.

I think Milner is better than Maxi Rodriguez of Argentina. Wouldn't get in the dutch starting 11, or Brazilian or even Germany.

Glenn Johnson would get in that Argentina side. Gutierrez occupied that slot which sums it up:lolol: Burdisso isn't great.

Good players, shit team.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I think to be honest that you're both a bit wide of the mark. I think H is right that Cole would get into those sides, and Johnson would deffo get in Argentina's side too.

However Rooney, Gerrard, Milner and Lampard would absolutely not, not on their performances for their national side which is exactly what we are talking about here.

I did say before the game yesterday that the pundits were severely underestimating the Germans by saying how many would get in our side. Before it even started I said that probably Klose, Ozil, Muller, Podolski and Schweinsteiger would all get in, and i don't know their defenders to comment.

I think it's going too far to say that none of our players would get in any of those sides you mentioned Dave but its fair to say that what our management consider to be vital players would certainly be considered very disposable in those other sides

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
10. Xavi (Barcelona & Spain) £8.5m per annum
9. Steven Gerrard (Liverpool & England) £9m
8. John Terry (Chelsea & England) £10m
7. Samuel Eto'o (Inter & Cameroon) £12.4m
6. Frank Lampard (Chelsea & England) £12.8m
5. Carlos Tevez (Manchester City & Argentina) £13.8m
4. Thierry Henry (Barcelona & France) £16.1m
3. Kaka (Real Madrid & Brazil) £16.9m
2. Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid & Portugal) £27m
1. Lionel Messi (Barcelona & Argentina) £29.6m

QUOTE]

So that means Messi, including endorsements etc, is being paid £569,230.76 a week? :ohmy:

Thats what i meant to write too. There's no way those figures are correct for a basic salary, no chance at all

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think to be honest that you're both a bit wide of the mark. I think H is right that Cole would get into those sides, and Johnson would deffo get in Argentina's side too.

However Rooney, Gerrard, Milner and Lampard would absolutely not, not on their performances for their national side which is exactly what we are talking about here.

I did say before the game yesterday that the pundits were severely underestimating the Germans by saying how many would get in our side. Before it even started I said that probably Klose, Ozil, Muller, Podolski and Schweinsteiger would all get in, and i don't know their defenders to comment.

I think it's going too far to say that none of our players would get in any of those sides you mentioned Dave but its fair to say that what our management consider to be vital players would certainly be considered very disposable in those other sides

I just tend to think we have a very overblown view of our players. Yes Ok Ashley Cole may be one that would get into a "world eleven" if you want to look at it that way, BUT to be brutally frank, I would have thought that as first choice, none of the players we have on current form are anywhere near this.

Looking at the Argentina game last night, I am not sure any of our players would have got any where near the Mexico side!

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove

Terry would be in all those teams, barring possibly Brazil who are very strong in central defence (arguably better than Juan).

Rooney would get in all those teams. Was the number one striker the year before for United with Tevez having to play a bit part role.

Gerrard and Lampard would probably get into all of those teams depending on the formation played..

Barry would be in ahead of Gilberto Silva. Ageing centre midfielder now in the twilight of his career playing in Greece. Think he'd get in the German side.

I think Milner is better than Maxi Rodriguez of Argentina. Wouldn't get in the dutch starting 11, or Brazilian or even Germany.

Glenn Johnson would get in that Argentina side. Gutierrez occupied that slot which sums it up:lolol: Burdisso isn't great.

Good players, shit team.

oh dear. have you thought about turning on the TV and watching a few world cup matches buddy!

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
I just tend to think we have a very overblown view of our players. Yes Ok Ashley Cole may be one that would get into a "world eleven" if you want to look at it that way, BUT to be brutally frank, I would have thought that as first choice, none of the players we have on current form are anywhere near this.

Looking at the Argentina game last night, I am not sure any of our players would have got any where near the Mexico side!

i'd pick the mexican left back over cole on last night's evidence, calcido i think he's called. two footed, superb in possession, thunderous shot on him, superb technically.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
ok turn that on its head.

How many of the England players , playing last night would get into the following teams:

1...Argentina None
2. Brazil None
3. Germany None
4. Holland None

That is the problem. Yes, for their clubs surrounded by the likes of Drogba, Torres, Malouda, Elanio, etc etc they do look worldbeaters ...BUT put them in on their own or in a disfunctional team and they havent the ability to change a game on their own.

I also dont buy this Frank Lampard is shit nonsence...yesterday, he was the only player to come out of the game with any credit, he scored a perfectly good goal, he had one saved by the fingertips of a keeper that had no idea where the ball was, he belted the bar and he tried his best....that could not have been said about any other players at all.

Agreed I thought Lampard was our best outfield player yesterday by some way.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

Good players, shit team.

I agree with most of that, there is f*** all wrong with our players other than playing in the correct positions in the right formation.

Every top side in Europe would want to sign Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard, Cole, Terry, Ferdinand etc

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
It's YOU lot that don't get it.

Our players ARE world class, but the difference is the way they are used.

Lampard is the key man for Chelsea. He's basically given a free role to roam and do what he wants, he's not a natural central midfielder in a 2.

Gerrard is the same. He is not a left winger.

Before this tournament, nearly EVERYONE on here would say Rooney was world class. He's been the best player in one of the best teams in the world for a good for years now.

Before this tournament there was a thread. Who in our team is world class?

The general answer was that Rooney and Cole would get in a world XI whilst the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Terry would be in amongst.

This is the same Wayne Rooney who never misses a game for United. Who prevented Carlos Tevez from barely getting a look in there.

Suddenly a few poor matches and the same old cliches come out, "we aren't good enough", "poor Fabio having to work with that crock of shite"

It's the same with th Albion last year. "It's not Slades fault, look at the players he has. Tommy f***ing Elphick, Adam El-Abd, Fatty Navarro, Gary can't pass the ball forward Dicker, Glenn talented but has no care for the Albion and should be sold Murray"

Oh wait, with the right nucleus and a few changes to the squad, Poyet proved it wasn't the players. Tommy started looking like a quality defender. Navarro was emerging as one of our best players. El-Abd was an absolute rock...

oh dear. have you thought about turning on the TV and watching a few world cup matches buddy!

Haven't really missed a single game.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here