Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top 10 highest paid footballers at the 2010 World Cup

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
i'm afraid i don't buy the argument that england 'simply aren't good enough'. as good an index as any to determine the quality of a player is their market worth. i couldn't find a table of the teams at the world cup ranked in order of their culmulative weekly domestic wage (which i think would be facinating and imagine england to be in the top three), but came across this article.

english players make up 3 of the top ten.

10. Xavi (Barcelona & Spain) £8.5m per annum
9. Steven Gerrard (Liverpool & England) £9m
8. John Terry (Chelsea & England) £10m
7. Samuel Eto'o (Inter & Cameroon) £12.4m
6. Frank Lampard (Chelsea & England) £12.8m
5. Carlos Tevez (Manchester City & Argentina) £13.8m
4. Thierry Henry (Barcelona & France) £16.1m
3. Kaka (Real Madrid & Brazil) £16.9m
2. Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid & Portugal) £27m
1. Lionel Messi (Barcelona & Argentina) £29.6m

the talent is clearly there. which makes me look to the manager for answers.

Oct 25, 2003
that's more to do with the ridiculous amount of money that the premiership makes though isn't it?

if that was directly linked to talent then terry would be the best centre back in the world, with gerrard and lampard as the best two central midfielders, they clearly aren't......henry and tevez are nowhere near 4th and 5th best in the world (messi and ronaldo are the two best, i will concede that)

I believe it was the managers fault, however 4-4-2 or not, against Algeria we should easily be winning. I thought the build up was poor. No no.1 goalkeeper, no set tactics and clearly he didn't know/find his best team through out the tournament. The biggest two things for me were:

1. 4-4-2. It has been proven time and time again this decade that it doesn't work. Capello didn't pick a natural left winger and played our best midfielder on the left, putting more pressure on the defense/Rooney to cover and support. 4-5-1 was the formation we should have and could have played and I firmly believe i we had done so we would not be sitting here today.

2. Squad selection. Wright Phillips over Johnson? No Walcott? and the biggest one for me was no Heskey for Zamora. Yes he never earned a cap before, but he is and was last season MILES better than "Yeti on a jet ski" Heskey.

Get Roy Hodgson in and Zamora will be banging them in!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
... and no-on from a clearly better German team.

Money is no measure of talent I'm afraid, as proved by that list.

Oct 25, 2003
2. Squad selection. Wright Phillips over Johnson? No Walcott? and the biggest one for me was no Heskey for Zamora. Yes he never earned a cap before, but he is and was last season MILES better than "Yeti on a jet ski" Heskey.

-johnson has about half a season of experience, SWP has generally played well for england
-walcott has been shit this season, and hasn't played well for england for AGES
-zamora was injured

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
... and no-on from a clearly better German team.

Money is no measure of talent I'm afraid, as proved by that list.

that is ridiculous. how can it be "no measure"? it shows how much demand there is for a player and this, surely, is based on talent.

in no way am i suggesting that it's a hard-and-fast rule, but i think the dispartity between what these players can command, and their world cup under-achievement, is cause for investigation.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Here's a list of the salaries of coaches at the WC
Salaries of Coaches Going to South Africa World Cup 2010 Performance for Life

As can be seen, Capello is by far the highest, commanding a salary four times that of Loew. So, to use TiD's criterion that money is best arbiter of someone's worth, it's clearly not Capello's fault or he wouldn't be paid so much. Therefore you have to look at the team for answers.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
i'm afraid i don't buy the argument that england 'simply aren't good enough'. as good an index as any to determine the quality of a player is their market worth. i couldn't find a table of the teams at the world cup ranked in order of their culmulative weekly domestic wage (which i think would be facinating and imagine england to be in the top three), but came across this article.

english players make up 3 of the top ten.

the talent is clearly there. which makes me look to the manager for answers.

stupid argument. are you suggesting that henry is the 4th best player in the world at the moment! i'm afraid this purely highlights the overtly commercial nature of the english premiership.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
ok turn that on its head.

How many of the England players , playing last night would get into the following teams:

1...Argentina None
2. Brazil None
3. Germany None
4. Holland None

That is the problem. Yes, for their clubs surrounded by the likes of Drogba, Torres, Malouda, Elanio, etc etc they do look worldbeaters ...BUT put them in on their own or in a disfunctional team and they havent the ability to change a game on their own.

I also dont buy this Frank Lampard is shit nonsence...yesterday, he was the only player to come out of the game with any credit, he scored a perfectly good goal, he had one saved by the fingertips of a keeper that had no idea where the ball was, he belted the bar and he tried his best....that could not have been said about any other players at all.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
that is ridiculous. how can it be "no measure"? it shows how much demand there is for a player and this, surely, is based on talent.

Wages are not an accurate measure of talent because they can be:

1) Inflated due to low/no transfer fee
2) Inflated due to marketability of player
3) Indicative of value at time (not now)

Anyway, England do have a few decent players… but f*** all strength in depth.

While the British media was debating the merits of excluding a winger who can't cross, Brazil couldn't find room for Ronaldinho!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

in no way am i suggesting that it's a hard-and-fast rule, but i think the dispartity between what these players can command, and their world cup under-achievement, is cause for investigation.

Ok, it's not a meaningful measure of current ability. FFS, Lampard's contract at Chelsea still has about 3 years to run, so he could well still be in the top 10 at the Euros in 2012, but that wouldn't make him anywhere near the top 10 in ability.

It's far more reflective of the wealth of the League they play in, and the reputation they had at the time of the contract being signed. There is absolutely NO WAY Gerrard and Lampard are the best midfielders in teh World, not even close, therefore, it's not a very meaningful measure.

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
ok turn that on its head.

How many of the England players , playing last night would get into the following teams:

1...Argentina None
2. Brazil None
3. Germany None
4. Holland None

That is the problem. Yes, for their clubs surrounded by the likes of Drogba, Torres, Malouda, Elanio, etc etc they do look worldbeaters ...BUT put them in on their own or in a disfunctional team and they havent the ability to change a game on their own.

I also dont buy this Frank Lampard is shit nonsence...yesterday, he was the only player to come out of the game with any credit, he scored a perfectly good goal, he had one saved by the fingertips of a keeper that had no idea where the ball was, he belted the bar and he tried his best....that could not have been said about any other players at all.

Ashley Cole would walk into everyone of those teams.

Terry would be in all those teams, barring possibly Brazil who are very strong in central defence (arguably better than Juan).

Rooney would get in all those teams. Was the number one striker the year before for United with Tevez having to play a bit part role.

Gerrard and Lampard would probably get into all of those teams depending on the formation played..

Barry would be in ahead of Gilberto Silva. Ageing centre midfielder now in the twilight of his career playing in Greece. Think he'd get in the German side.

I think Milner is better than Maxi Rodriguez of Argentina. Wouldn't get in the dutch starting 11, or Brazilian or even Germany.

Glenn Johnson would get in that Argentina side. Gutierrez occupied that slot which sums it up:lolol: Burdisso isn't great.

Good players, shit team.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Terry would be in all those teams, barring possibly Brazil who are very strong in central defence (arguably better than Juan).

Rooney would get in all those teams. Was the number one striker the year before for United with Tevez having to play a bit part role.

Gerrard and Lampard would probably get into all of those teams depending on the formation played..

Barry would be in ahead of Gilberto Silva. Ageing centre midfielder now in the twilight of his career playing in Greece. Think he'd get in the German side.

I think Milner is better than Maxi Rodriguez of Argentina. Wouldn't get in the dutch starting 11, or Brazilian or even Germany.

Glenn Johnson would get in that Argentina side. Gutierrez occupied that slot which sums it up:lolol: Burdisso isn't great.

Good players, shit team.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Thank God for the youth to bring some hilarity to this depressing world.

God bless you HH.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Cecil

Feb 8, 2008
Heathfield

This is what I was saying to a mate last night after the game.

I thought he was the only England player who turned up last night.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Good players, shit team.

I'd love to get hold of whatever it is that you're smoking.

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand

QUOTE]

So that means Messi, including endorsements etc, is being paid £569,230.76 a week? :ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here