Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Too much Olympic stuff in the newspapers

D

Deleted member 22389

I have tried to get in to this Olympics but honestly I am a bit bored with it. I have failed to get excited about it. Even the sports I love outside of Football like cycling, has failed for me regardless of the golds we have won. I don't know why. Everyone around me is loving it. If I had actually gone to some of the events it might have been a different story.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Opening post is hilarious! Only a numbskull would expect anything other than blanket coverge when, like it or not, the biggest show on earth is in our backyard. Keep taking the tablets dear.

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
This is why the Guardian's website has a "Hide Olympics" button. It's trickier and more expensive to give the option in print, though.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Sorry, but I am somewhat with Goldstone on this. I want to enjoy the Olympics, not have it rammed down my throat.

The Mail on Sunday yesterday had it's Olympic coverage in the usual sports section (fine), a supplement in the middle (fine), and also the first f**king 16 pages of the main newspaper! The Games are big news, not the only news, or the most important news in the world. I watched the mens 100 metres final last night, it was great TV, I did not need to be told between 6 and 8am today that Bolt had won the race, about 20 times! Of course the BBC as the offical TV provider has two channels providing uninteruptted coverage of the Games, but could they not have kept their normal Beeb 1output on another channel, maybe BBC2 or BBC4? To add to this, why do ITV appeared to have colluded by sticking the most banal mix of TV on at the same time, Midsomer Murders, Agatha Christie repeats etc etc..

We are also being denied normal news coverage. Yesterdays evening news on ITV was about 12 minutes of Olympics coverage, and 1 minute of other news. I am a sports fan but sport is not the most important news in the world, ever. Politics, diplomacy, war, natural disasters, science and many other topics should be at least given some sensible coverage rather than the token efforts we are being given right now. It is not the saturation coverage of the Olympics which is making me want to turn off, it is the lack of any normal alternative, imagine what non sports fans must be thinking?

We've had possibly the greatest night of sporting achievement in the history of this country.....................and you're moaning!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Can you ever start a thread that isn't meaningless and negative?

I know it might be asking a lot, but can you actually start a positive thread? Does your DNA allow for that?

Go on - I dare you. I double dare you.

Dear Mr Large Person

If you care to read the thread I started with player ratings from the Chelsea game I think you'll find plenty of positives. In fact the opening word was "Wow!"

And if you read my original post on this thread again I think you will find it to be not entirely negative. All I am asking for is some news in the newspapers that is not Olympic related. Too much to ask?

Just want to put things in perspective.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I do find it strange that the shooting in America wasn't even on the bbc news last night, because it wasn't the ONE story that wasn't about the Olympics.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Dear Mr Large Person

If you care to read the thread I started with player ratings from the Chelsea game I think you'll find plenty of positives. In fact the opening word was "Wow!"

And if you read my original post on this thread again I think you will find it to be not entirely negative. All I am asking for is some news in the newspapers that is not Olympic related. Too much to ask?

Just want to put things in perspective.

Things are in perspective. The Olympics IS the news.

But you're right, your post isn't entirely negative. There were some things in your post that were just about neutral.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Things are in perspective. The Olympics IS the news.

I am not planning to start a slanging match over this, but the Olympics is not the ONLY news ... which you would believe to be the case when reading the newspapers.

The Olympics is SPORT ... people running around; throwing things; doing stuff in boats, on bikes, with guns, with horses and in the water; hitting each other; and throwing each other around.

I love football, but if the newspapers gave over most of their pages to football I would also have a moan.

Anyway, it really got you and a few others wound up which makes it even more enjoyable.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I am not planning to start a slanging match over this, but the Olympics is not the ONLY news ... which you would believe to be the case when reading the newspapers.

The Olympics is SPORT ... people running around; throwing things; doing stuff in boats, on bikes, with guns, with horses and in the water; hitting each other; and throwing each other around.

I love football, but if the newspapers gave over most of their pages to football I would also have a moan.

Anyway, it really got you and a few others wound up which makes it even more enjoyable.

I'm not wound up in the slightest - more baffled as to why someone of such an an age should behave in such an infantile and spoilt-brat manner.

However, this is about far more than the 'sport' you so casually and disdainfully dismiss. The tragedy is you just can't see that.

We're currently living through one of the most exciting and potentially pride-filling moments our jumped-up battered, little country can offer - certainly in this generation - selling to the world all that is best about the British way of doing things - and hopefully with a smile on our faces. Meanwhile, our athletes are responding with - for the most part - their best efforts in order to try and keep those smiles on faces, in the name of their sport and our country (as well as their well-earned personal glory).

But what do you do? You grizzle.

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
5 live mentioned this liberal/conservative business over the scrapping of the House of Lords for 3 minutes today?
I immediately thought, get this shit off now and get back to business.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
NEWSPAPERS are a DEAD medium anyway. Reporting things that happened the day before and that anyone under the age of 80 is reading online or on their PHONE? What's the point? There's no NEWS in them anymore. Just repeating stuff you can find HOURS before elsewhere, or GOSSIP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here