Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Too much Olympic stuff in the newspapers

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
OK, I know it's a once in a lifetime thing and all that, but the coverage in the Sunday papers reached ridiculous proportions.

In the Sunday Times sports section all but the last 4 pages was Olympics. Why couldn't they have had a separate Olympics sports section (so that I could have binned it immediately) and then a proper sports section with all the real sports including a lot more coverage of cricket and football?

The main section of the Sunday Times (normally the news section) had the first 8pages devoted to the Olympics with real news relegated to the back of the section. On what basis? Sport is for the sports section, except maybe a few taster articles.

I am not saying that there should not be Olympics coverage. Of course there should. But how about some balance? Those of us not interested in the Olympics should be catered for as well. There are other things happening in the world.

Signed:
Disgusted of Mid Sussex

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Is [MENTION=144]goldstone[/MENTION] the single most negative poster, NSC has ever seen?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Is [MENTION=144]goldstone[/MENTION] the single most negative poster, NSC has ever seen?

He might win Silver but surely the Gold would go Badger ! Oh shit, I've kinda mentioned the Olympics !!!!!

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
OK, I know it's a once in a lifetime thing and all that, but the coverage in the Sunday papers reached ridiculous proportions.

In the Sunday Times sports section all but the last 4 pages was Olympics. Why couldn't they have had a separate Olympics sports section (so that I could have binned it immediately) and then a proper sports section with all the real sports including a lot more coverage of cricket and football?

The main section of the Sunday Times (normally the news section) had the first 8pages devoted to the Olympics with real news relegated to the back of the section. On what basis? Sport is for the sports section, except maybe a few taster articles.

I am not saying that there should not be Olympics coverage. Of course there should. But how about some balance? Those of us not interested in the Olympics should be catered for as well. There are other things happening in the world.

Signed:
Disgusted of Mid Sussex

Don't buy a newspaper during the Olympics then? It's clearly going to dominate throughout during these 2 weeks. Surely most people don't buy papers to actually read the news these days anyway.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove

Signed:
Disgusted of Mid Sussex

It's because the majority of their journalists will be reporting at the Olympics.

My regret is that I didn't take the two weeks as holiday so I can see more of it. I went to the wrestling yesterday - it's something I have never been interested in but it was fantastic being at an Olympic event.

I'm amazed you don't class the Olympics as 'real sports'. Maybe you should take your blinkers off enjoy the ride for the rest of the week.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
This time next week it will all be over, do you think you can crawl under your rock until then?

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
What a pointless thead, if you don't like it, don't buy the papers, watch the TV or log online! It's people like you that drag this country down, you have more negatives than a photo processing studio. You must be a joy to know or live with in real life, do you have any friends or have they all topped themselves after listening to you.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I think the majority are loving the coverage of this "one off" sporting event being hosted in our country, which is likely to be the only time in our lifetimes.

Oh and the sight of our athletes doing really well and making the nation proud..

:facepalm:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I KNEW there would be a thread on this at some point during the Olympics, it's classic NSC.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God

Signed:
Disgusted of Mid Sussex

Why would you want to read anything the Main Stream Media wanted to provide?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Sorry, but I am somewhat with Goldstone on this. I want to enjoy the Olympics, not have it rammed down my throat.

The Mail on Sunday yesterday had it's Olympic coverage in the usual sports section (fine), a supplement in the middle (fine), and also the first f**king 16 pages of the main newspaper! The Games are big news, not the only news, or the most important news in the world. I watched the mens 100 metres final last night, it was great TV, I did not need to be told between 6 and 8am today that Bolt had won the race, about 20 times! Of course the BBC as the offical TV provider has two channels providing uninteruptted coverage of the Games, but could they not have kept their normal Beeb 1output on another channel, maybe BBC2 or BBC4? To add to this, why do ITV appeared to have colluded by sticking the most banal mix of TV on at the same time, Midsomer Murders, Agatha Christie repeats etc etc..

We are also being denied normal news coverage. Yesterdays evening news on ITV was about 12 minutes of Olympics coverage, and 1 minute of other news. I am a sports fan but sport is not the most important news in the world, ever. Politics, diplomacy, war, natural disasters, science and many other topics should be at least given some sensible coverage rather than the token efforts we are being given right now. It is not the saturation coverage of the Olympics which is making me want to turn off, it is the lack of any normal alternative, imagine what non sports fans must be thinking?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here