Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Too many ways to get news is it a bad thing?

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Because we are bombarded with news on an hourly basis these days through the web, tv, mobile, radio, is the state of the country really any worse than say 10 years ago?

At last,someone thinking along the same lines as me.This country has become media obsessed and media driven to a certain degree! Reading the Sunday Papers an Alien would think we lived in an uncontrollable hell.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
I think it's a case of "no news is good news" but i am sure there is a lot of good news out there but it does not make the headlines! Why is that?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It is media driven, and I do honestly think if these channels where not available to get the news 24/7 we would carry on with life being a lot happier.

Is ignorance bliss?

The Ethiopian famine of c.1984 only managed to gain notoriety due to the coverage from the media which had huge knock on effects across the globe for many other countries. It is quite easy to avoid 24 hour media coverage!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
You can exercise choice in what you watch and read.

I like having many sources, readily available. It doesn't mean I have to read all of them, all of the time.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
Is ignorance bliss?

The Ethiopian famine of c.1984 only managed to gain notoriety due to the coverage from the media which had huge knock on effects across the globe for many other countries. It is quite easy to avoid 24 hour media coverage!

Agreed BoF....but do you not agree....bad news seem to saturate media coverage and it 'aint news unless its bad!:thumbsup:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Agreed BoF....but do you not agree....bad news seem to saturate media coverage and it 'aint news unless its bad!:thumbsup:

Agreed, but at the same time I would rather be omniscient of the bad news - the good news is there if you search hard enough.

We need to create a newspaper with just postive news.

It would be easier to buy the Hans Christian Anderson box set. :D

Pigsy

Jul 14, 2004
Some people manage to avoid the news. I was speaking to a 19 year old, with A Levels, last week, who didn't know what the Cabinet was.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here