Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Too many coaching staff?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Second letter in the Argus in a matter of days bleating on about the club employing too many coaches (not the bus kind). Surely the fact that we are punching well above our weight for a club in our circumstances (and probably have been for a number of years) and the superb performances of our youth players justifies the so called extravagance. We certainly don't spend the money anywhere else.
Justified or not?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Without wishing to lose people their jobs especially at this time of the year I do not believe anybody really knows what a 'director of football' does for his wages not only at our club but at most.

If I was trimming the budget I would have looked at Paul Rogers who works in the commercial department and still plays Rymans League perhaps combining his work with player/manager of the reserves. Or alternativly why have an assistant manager and a reserve team manager. Why not combine those two jobs as the reserves play very few matches.

Perhaps Dean White is earning his corn with the first team doing things that we do not realise.

Our coaching staff are well established and we have the right balance. Once you start making redundancies in that department, the negativity of such a move would probably rub off onto the players with obvious results. I haven't seen the letter, but he/she is talking out their arse.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Should get rid of Hinsh as DoF and get in a striking Coach. Keeley must be doing something right as Kuipers is getting better and his kicking compared to last season has improved no end. Wilkins has got some talented youngsters coming through so the coaching staff is about right in numbers in my book

Jameson

I suspect this is a nasty campaign by the nimbys who are running out of rational arguements so are looking for a soft target.

Look at our success recently at all levels - whether it be youngsters, reserves, first team, community coaching, Specials etc..and you will realise our success is due to the foresight and effort in coaching from our local player base and talent spotting elsewhere. I for one cannot remember a time when there were more local people involved at all levels with our club - especially first team players.

I think this is a brilliant arguement for Falmer - which will allow even more employment opportunities and links to our community. :clap2:

The more the merrier I say.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
BensGrandad said:
Without wishing to lose people their jobs especially at this time of the year I do not believe anybody really knows what a 'director of football' does for his wages not only at our club but at most.

If I was trimming the budget I would have looked at Paul Rogers who works in the commercial department and still plays Rymans League perhaps combining his work with player/manager of the reserves. Or alternativly why have an assistant manager and a reserve team manager. Why not combine those two jobs as the reserves play very few matches.

Perhaps Dean White is earning his corn with the first team doing things that we do not realise.

I agree about the director of football role. However, when the other staff are quoted in the Argus about the strength of the youth players they always mention Hinshelwood and Wilkins as doing a great job so perhaps he still has a strong influence there.
As far as the rest of the staff are concerned they are doing such a good job I think messing with it would be a big mistake. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
BensGrandad said:

I did not advocate a redundancy or sacking or reduction in staff just pointing out the areas that this could be done if needed.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Too many stewards! :angry:

Waterhall Wizard

Only one PETER WARD
Oct 14, 2004
East of Brighton
chez said:
I think the amount of Coaches is justified. Its not as if they are sitting around doing sweet FA is it. The only member of the backroom staff you could maybe do without is Martin Hinchelwood - not really too sure what he does.

Precisely chez! You don't know what Martin Hinchelwood does.

You have picked upon one of the unsung heroes working behind the scenes at Withdean. Let me assure that he certainly earns whatever pittance he is paid.

Who do you think takes in up to three youth team matches per week anywhere in the country? Who do you think watches our future first team opponents in order to do a report on their strengths and weaknesses, again anywhere in the country? Who do you think hires and co-ordinates the work of our scouts and follows up their recommendations? Who do you think introduced, and continues to bring, hard work and professionalism to our youth set-up where none used to exist? Who do you think sells the unfashionable club called Brighton and Hove Albion to the parents of potential future football stars? Who do you think keeps in touch with the parents and makes sure that they are informed of their sons' progress so that no big club like Villa can lure them away? Who do you think is responsible for the rich crop of young football talent that we have at our club? Who do you think has a football players encyclopedia as a brain and is able to advise of an individual's strengths and weaknesses at the drop of a hat?

Perhaps we should go back to the haphazard days of Cyclops and Jacko when two of Sussex's best young football talents found their way to Villa after being on the Albion's books.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
BensGrandad said:

What a fantasist. Has it occured to you that perhaps Paul Rogers doesn't want a training/management role. He has a full-time job already. You seem to think that all of the training roles are part-time.

I only hope bob Booker isn't reading this, cos he is a big fucker, know what i mean? As if he didn't have enough to do already, you want to make him reserve team manager as well? And the reserves always play at least 30 matches a season.

How do you think we've managed to get so many talented youngsters through the system? And you think buggering it up is a good idea?

Colbourne Kid

Sep 19, 2003
Precisely chez! You don't know what Martin Hinchelwood does.

You have picked upon one of the unsung heroes working behind the scenes at Withdean. Let me assure that he certainly earns whatever pittance he is paid.

Who do you think takes in up to three youth team matches per week anywhere in the country? Who do you think watches our future first team opponents in order to do a report on their strengths and weaknesses, again anywhere in the country? Who do you think hires and co-ordinates the work of our scouts and follows up their recommendations? Who do you think introduced, and continues to bring, hard work and professionalism to our youth set-up where none used to exist? Who do you think sells the unfashionable club called Brighton and Hove Albion to the parents of potential future football stars? Who do you think keeps in touch with the parents and makes sure that they are informed of their sons' progress so that no big club like Villa can lure them away? Who do you think is responsible for the rich crop of young football talent that we have at our club? Who do you think has a football players encyclopedia as a brain and is able to advise of an individual's strengths and weaknesses at the drop of a hat?

Perhaps we should go back to the haphazard days of Cyclops and Jacko when two of Sussex's best young football talents found their way to Villa after being on the Albion's books.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spot on. You have listed some of the things that Hinch does. You could have added liaising with schools and colleges. Filling in all the paperwork that goes with employing a young professional and many other matters.

if you include all the young people attached to the Club, reserves and first team there are probably somewhere over 100 players with six full time coaching staff to manage them.

Anyone on here work in an organisation that's leaner than that in terms of management?

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I've actually seen this letter today and it is very tongue in cheek asking, like somebody did on here recently, who the next person whose firstname begins with the letter D is going to leave the club. He starts with the players before mentioning Dean White's name and ends up with the comment that if we perhaps don't get Falmer will Dick Knight go. It certainnly isn't a serious letter and actually mocks the previous person who wrote in about the coaching staff.

I wish people on here would actually read these things before firing off on here. It does help.

Waterhall Wizard

Only one PETER WARD
Oct 14, 2004
East of Brighton
Ernest said:
I think the backroom staff from Tinselhead thru Bob B ending up at Matt Hicks and the girls in the shop and ticket office do a great job thru very trying circumstances and a happy new year to them all :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Indeed. The worm has turned, but does the other half of your split personality agree with you?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Theatre of Trees said:
I've actually seen this letter today and it is very tongue in cheek asking, like somebody did on here recently, who the next person whose firstname begins with the letter D is going to leave the club. He starts with the players before mentioning Dean White's name and ends up with the comment that if we perhaps don't get Falmer will Dick Knight go. It certainnly isn't a serious letter and actually mocks the previous person who wrote in about the coaching staff.

I wish people on here would actually read these things before firing off on here. It does help.

Its called a discussion :rolleyes:. I raised the topic of the letter and asked peoples opinions. Isn't that what a message board is for? It makes no difference if it was serious or not, I was trying to provoke a football related discussion. Either post an opinion or shut up.

Last edited:

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Point is you've taken one segment of the letter and not acknowledged what else was written. If anything the last sentence of my previous post was aimed at some of the other comments rather than your opening one. Compared to some of the drivel posted on the Argus' letters page this one was relatively sane (and knowledgeable) and actually covered similar ground to a thread posted on here after the sale of Currie and Cullip. The theme being why are people leaving the Albion whose fisrtname begins with the letter D. The bit about too many coaches to me appeared to be a sly dig at the numpty who wrote the first letter about there being too many coaching staff.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here