Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Pulis on McGhee, Albion Survival & Club Potential

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
http://www.stokecityfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/Manager/0,,10310~635706,00.html?ptvParm=

Tony Pulis' Programme Column (v Brighton)

You can bet your life the likes of Ipswich, Wigan and Sunderland will be in the frame when it comes to picking the Championship's manager-of-the-year at the end of the season.

But people should be glancing a bit lower in the table before dishing out the accolades and take a long hard look elsewhere. Brighton, for example.

I think the Mark McGhee and his number two Bob Booker have done terrifically well to lead the club to the brink of safety. How many were predicting relegation for them after they won promotion via the play-offs last year?

They are a million miles away from the big clubs when it comes to their wage bill and resources.

Surviving relegation is almost like winning the League from where Brighton are sitting. That's not being disrespectful, just stating the facts.

I actually think Brighton are a big club potentially and could pack in 20,000 every other week if they had their own stadium.

It's a tribute to the fighting spirit of their directors and supporters that they are refusing to buckle in their pursuit of that new ground.

Several new faces have come into the club in the meantime [Since the Ade Akinbiyi sale] and it has fallen on young Kenwyne Jones to fill the forward vacancy for now.

Kenwyne is still only 20 and is an enthusiastic and refreshing character to have around the place.

He's very off the cuff, but has a great demeanour about him. He walks around the place as if every day is Christmas Day.

Kenwyne enjoyed a great start to life here by scoring on his debut in the 1-0 win at Millwall and then played his part in the 3-2 home win over Leicester.

But I thought he looked a bit jaded by the time we got to Coventry last weekend when we failed to take advantage of their sending-off and subsequent goalkeeping situation.

Kenwyne wasn't the only one looking tired and a bit off the pace, though, and in defence of the lads I would put that down to three out of their previous four games being away from home.

One man distinguishing himself at Highfield Road was Steve Simonsen in goal.

I wasn't exaggerating after the game when I said it was probably as good an exhibition of goalkeeping I'd seen in 15 years of management.

He literally was unbeatable that day, but we all know his performance was no fluke.

He had to bide his time after first joining us from Everton last summer, but he hasn't looked back once an injury to Ed De Goey gave him an extended run in the first-team.

The only worrying aspect is the thought that someone will come knocking on our door to ask about him.

When you think how few top English goalkeepers there are these days, you'd have to say there can't be that many around who are better.

Last edited:

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
http://www.stokecityfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Match/Preview/0,,10310~635302,00.html

Preview
Stoke City v Brighton
Britannia Stadium, March 5, 3pm

It's astonishing to think, almost eight years ago, Brighton came within one game of dropping into non-league football.

Their current position of fifteenth in the Championship is testament to a remarkable recovery, which has seen them experience three promotions and one relegation in the past four seasons.

Something always seems to be happening at Brighton, whether it's moving through the divisions, changing managers, or campaigning for a new home.

The club is currently striving to get the go-ahead to build a new stadium to match their Premiership ambitions, while Mark McGhee is the latest in a line of managers performing well on a shoestring budget.

Under his shrewd guidance, Albion made an instant return to the Championship last season following relegation in 2003, and look set to cement their place in the division this time around.

An excellent Christmas and a decent start to 2005 has seen them move ten points clear of the drop zone and within six points of the magical fifty point mark, which would almost guarantee safety.

The Seagulls' success this season has by no means been an easy task - and it has come at a cost.

With no money to spend on new players, the prospect of turning out in front of less than seven thousand fans at the rented Withdean Stadium every fortnight is hardly geared to whet the appetites of potential targets.

Two mainstays in the Seagulls side, Danny Cullip and Darren Currie, have departed to join promotion chasers Sheffield United and Ipswich respectively in recent months, leaving McGhee looking to bring in players either on loan or on free transfers.

It's fair to say the manager and his players deserve great credit for their efforts, as in the face of overwhelming odds they have continued to perform well on the pitch - managing to pull off results when perhaps least expected.

Last weekend striker Paul Hart celebrated his 300th appearance for Albion by scrambling home an injury-time winner to earn a 1-0 victory over faltering Millwall.

This followed another superb home victory over high-flying Sunderland, where despite playing the last seventy minutes with just ten men after defender Adam Virgo was sent-off, striker Mark McCammon notched a first-half brace to claim a 2-1 win.

McCammon is likely to pose Albion's main threat to goal as since making his loan move from Millwall permanent last month, his bustling style has earned three goals from four previous outings.

Pint-sized attacker Leon Knight is another player to watch. Despite struggling to recapture the form that saw him bag 27 goals last season, the former Chelsea trainee has pace to burn and will be desperate to extend his disappointing tally of four goals so far.

Therefore, Brighton arrive at the Britannia Stadium searching for their third win on the bounce with confidence flying high. However, they will face a City side hoping to extend a four match unbeaten run, with a late charge into the playoffs still in mind.

The Potters emerged victorious when the teams met in East Sussex back December, Ade Akinbiyi settling a tight game 1-0 with a late strike.

Albion's last visit to the Potteries came back in March 2003, where Chris Greenacre grabbed another late winner as both clubs headed for a tense finish to the season. City survived relegation on the final day - ironically at Brighton's expense.

A draw has been the common denominator during the 35 occasions the teams have met down the years. There have been 14 stalemates, with the Potters claiming 12 victories to Albion's nine.

Chris Alcock

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
TP was one of the best managers Tank has worked with. Liked players to be hard working, and who wernt motivated by money. Didnt have the time of day for big time charlies! He was a fitness man and worked his players hard in training. Wasnt into pretty football either, he used to say players hadnt had a good game unless they came off the pitch cut and bruised at least (which Tank duly obliged on a regular occurance with stitches, smashed up face and broken bones!)!

Last edited:

Jul 12, 2003
Oxfordshire
The Great Cornholio said:
I'm confused - who do I believe? An experienced football manager or an undertaker and someone who knew Greg Stanley and Jack Charlton once.

:lolol:

Have to say, the Paul Hart moment aside, those are two excellent 'write-ups'.

"Survivng relegation = winning the League
for BHA"... :clap: :clap2:

I think I'm beginning to like Tony Clueless now... :eek: :)

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Kylies Stunt Arse said:
He was doing so well until then!

And then:

Exiled in Exeter said:
striker Mark McCammon notched a first-half brace to claim a 2-1 win.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here